Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #1

With New Lenses Coming is K-1iii on the Horizon?

My K-1 is getting old and cranky, kinda like me. If it breaks down getting it repaired by Precision Camera is not an option, and I really don't want to replace it with outdated technology. Can we expect to see a K-1iii anytime in the near future? It would certainly be nice to have the tech advancements of the K3iii in a new full-frame body.

08-04-2022, 09:59 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Dusel Quote
Can we expect to see a K-1iii anytime in the near future?
Maybe. I don't know, but I know that the people who do know can't answer if they want to keep their jobs.

There are only 2 possibilities long-term. One is to come out with new camera models. The other option is to exit the market as parts needed by current camera models are discontinued.
08-04-2022, 10:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Dusel Quote
My K-1 is getting old and cranky, kinda like me. If it breaks down getting it repaired by Precision Camera is not an option, and I really don't want to replace it with outdated technology. Can we expect to see a K-1iii anytime in the near future? It would certainly be nice to have the tech advancements of the K3iii in a new full-frame body.
2024, more than likely.
08-04-2022, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The truth is, nobody knows what coming with Pentax. I wished Ricoh keeps Pentax alive, so that I can be relaxed about my next choice, either a Pentax or another brand. As long as Pentax kept alive and not officially closed, it's all good. Officially closed would be very bad for all of us.

08-04-2022, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting to ponder the history of the LX which was improved over a 20 year production run, perhaps the K1 will have a similar path, no one knows, however I still remain impressed they offered the
k1-K1ii upgrade to K1 owners at a reasonable price
08-04-2022, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
2024, more than likely.
I often kinda joked saying 2025 for the K1 III, but I think 2023 is more realistic. And anyway, if Ricoh wait until 2024 or 2025, there will be very few customer left still interested to buy their camera. At some point , if CanikonSony continue to release new improved cameras, if Ricoh doesn't offer more than K1, customers are going to jump ship.
08-04-2022, 11:00 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Poor old Eeyore

(don't worry about Eeyore above, he's having a dismal summer)

We don't know about a K-1iii, nobody does: quite what that means for you only you can judge. Is your K-1 giving trouble?

08-04-2022, 11:53 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Unfortunately this keeps coming up "when will there be a new K-1 Mark III?". My guess is never! First Ricoh has to earn back the investment on the K-3 Mark III. From the interviews the management of Ricoh it is clear that they must make an effort to keep the Pentax brand alive. Outdated technology? What is wrong with a superb camera dating from 2015 or 2016? There are even people that (want to) buy Spotmatics, K1000,vintage lenses and so on. It seems that in photography there is no such thing as outdated technology. Why must something that is so good be changed? And why would an updated lens indicate there is another camera coming? It just means is that there is an updated lens coming. Nothing more, nothing less.
08-04-2022, 12:13 PM   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Unfortunately this keeps coming up "when will there be a new K-1 Mark III?". My guess is never! First Ricoh has to earn back the investment on the K-3 Mark III. From the interviews the management of Ricoh it is clear that they must make an effort to keep the Pentax brand alive. Outdated technology? What is wrong with a superb camera dating from 2015 or 2016? There are even people that (want to) buy Spotmatics, K1000,vintage lenses and so on. It seems that in photography there is no such thing as outdated technology. Why must something that is so good be changed? And why would an updated lens indicate there is another camera coming? It just means is that there is an updated lens coming. Nothing more, nothing less.
I love the outdated technology in my K1 and KP
08-04-2022, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
I love the outdated technology in my K1 and KP
And I love the outdated technology of my K3 Mark 1
08-04-2022, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I often kinda joked saying 2025 for the K1 III, but I think 2023 is more realistic. And anyway, if Ricoh wait until 2024 or 2025, there will be very few customer left still interested to buy their camera. At some point , if CanikonSony continue to release new improved cameras, if Ricoh doesn't offer more than K1, customers are going to jump ship.
Don't you think that this is getting tired? The customers who are going to jump ship have already done so.
The customers who actually want a DSLR are likely not going to be buying from Canikon since they have signaled they are moving on.
2023 would be nice, this fall would be nicer, but there is the little matter of what sensor is available right now.
08-04-2022, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're not the only one to ask such a question.
Two very recent threads covering this already-well-discussed topic:

Does the K1 Mark II still make sense to buy today? Is there an Mark III in the works?

Will we see a K1 Mark 3?

These other threads may not offer much insight into the future of Pentax releases, but they will very likely offer very good insight into the future of this thread. Spoiler alert: none of us know, but for some reason some think they can give you an answer anyway.
08-04-2022, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

If you were paying attention when the DAF*85/1.4 was released, you would have seen the press releases indicating that they wanted that lens to have high enough resolution for future higher resolution sensors.
At some point they won't be able to get 36mp sensors any longer and will be forced to update the camera.

Definition of outdated: no longer current (Merriam-Webster dictionary)
And yes, there is such a thing as outdated technology in photography, especially digital photography. Just because people still shoot with Spotmatics doesn't mean they aren't outdated, it just means people still shoot with them.
What is wrong with cameras from 2015 or 2016? Nothing, but this doesn't mean time has stopped at that date either.
08-04-2022, 02:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

You can buy a Pentax K1 II, it's two years younger (2018) than the Pentax K1.
08-04-2022, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is that a K-1iii is already under development, with the same processor as the K-3iii, basically the same focusing as the K-3iii, and other advances I’ve never thought of ….. but only Pentax knows about the timing. Personally, I’m more interested in a K-90, but whether I would get it depends on whether it is an improvement on the KP I already have. In the meantime, I’ll continue photographing and not think too much about Pentax’s future plans.