Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2022, 11:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Viewing images side by side

I have looked in both K-1 manuals and, I am not seeing the function of being able to review two images side by side like I can with my K-5. Where is that function in the K-1?

08-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
I have looked in both K-1 manuals and, I am not seeing the function of being able to review two images side by side like I can with my K-5. Where is that function in the K-1?
That function was removed after the K-5 series, AFAIK.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That function was removed after the K-5 series, AFAIK.
Sure looks like it. That function is not showing up in the K-5 Mk.II onwards. I guess I'm never upgrading. Its absence is darn near a purchase killer for me.
08-20-2022, 11:57 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sure looks like it. That function is not showing up in the K-5 Mk.II onwards. I guess I'm never upgrading. Its absence is darn near a purchase killer for me.
It's a bit of a bummer for sure. But there are some UI improvements which make life a bit easier, such as zooming in on the photo in playback mode and then using the other e-dial to scroll to other photos (the zoom level will stick). That can essentially enable the same comparison if your photos were taken around the same time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's a bit of a bummer for sure. But there are some UI improvements which make life a bit easier, such as zooming in on the photo in playback mode and then using the other e-dial to scroll to other photos (the zoom level will stick). That can essentially enable the same comparison if your photos were taken around the same time.
My K-5 can already do that. I have my default magnification set to 4x. What is nice though is NOT having to bounce back and forth between images to compare them. Also, you can choose the two to compare even if they were not taken back to back.

I wonder if they could bring the function back in a firmware update?
08-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.......... Its absence is darn near a purchase killer for me.
An exaggeration? Surely the place for that is on a computer screen, not the small LCD screen of the camera???
08-20-2022, 08:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
An exaggeration? Surely the place for that is on a computer screen, not the small LCD screen of the camera???
No exaggeration. I often sort and delete photos I do not want before hopping on the computer. I do not want to go through all my images on the computer, only the keepers that are worth my time. I also am not a photographer that takes a ton of pictures when they go out. I can go to a sporting event like baseball for example and only take 80 shots. That is still a lot of pictures to me and, I will easily dump half of those.

---------- Post added 08-21-22 at 12:14 AM ----------

So many lament for example that the frame rate of the K-1 is only 6.5fps. That is close to my K-5's 7fps, which I find for action photography is too high. The images are simply too alike between frames. That makes sorting through a burst to simply find the one best shot of that burst too tiresome. I do not have the energy or am going to spend the time to sort through hundreds let alone thousands of shots. My eyes and back cannot handle sitting at a computer for hours anymore. To me, 5fps is probably ideal. That is one particularly nice thing about my E-M1, Olympus lets you set your own continuous-high and continuous-low frames-per-second speeds. I have mine set at 5 and 2 respectively.

Last edited by zekewhipper; 08-20-2022 at 09:00 PM.
08-21-2022, 12:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[/COLOR]So many lament for example that the frame rate of the K-1 is only 6.5fps.
FF mode: 4.4 fps, APS-C mode: 6.5 fps - H continous.
08-21-2022, 03:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I scarcely glance at the camera screen after taking a shot, if at all. When using flash I might check it to confirm that the flash did fire, and that I got the flash formula right if I am in manual. I certainly would not trust using the camera display to decide which are the keepers between similar shots. On a big screen I often see small details, hardly distinguishable on the camera display, which might be the deciders - for example where the camera focus was optimum in a busy street scene, whether on one particular person or another.

I just upload the lot to my PC, it is a single movement. I can then view them how I like, depends on your software, and I can make my decisions in a calm and unhurried environment. I don't understand why deciding on the rejects on the PC should take any longer than it does on the camera, in total.

Having said all that, I'm surprised that Pentax cannot provide the side-by-side facility for the benefit of people who want it. It is only a bit of software, and I'm not going to die in a ditch trying to denying it to anyone who does want it (thinking back to the flippy screen flame wars ).

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 08-21-2022 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Clarification
08-22-2022, 03:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I scarcely glance at the camera screen after taking a shot, if at all. When using flash I might check it to confirm that the flash did fire, and that I got the flash formula right if I am in manual. I certainly would not trust using the camera display to decide which are the keepers between similar shots. On a big screen I often see small details, hardly distinguishable on the camera display, which might be the deciders - for example where the camera focus was optimum in a busy street scene, whether on one particular person or another.

I just upload the lot to my PC, it is a single movement. I can then view them how I like, depends on your software, and I can make my decisions in a calm and unhurried environment. I don't understand why deciding on the rejects on the PC should take any longer than it does on the camera, in total.

Having said all that, I'm surprised that Pentax cannot provide the side-by-side facility for the benefit of people who want it. It is only a bit of software, and I'm not going to die in a ditch trying to denying it to anyone who does want it (thinking back to the flippy screen flame wars ).
I cannot fathom why Pentax would have gotten rid of such a unique, practical, and useful function.