Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2022, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Should we all go home then?

*I am very happy with my overlooked and not worth considering K1*

It depends on what your budget is and what you needs are.
I believe the ‘accelerator’ is wonderful, and the K-1ii gives those benefits to you.
I already have it in my KP.
The K-1 is fine if your main need is a camera to “make a 50mm lens like a 50mm lens”.

08-27-2022, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
And U$ 1799 was even more aggressive!

But the reality was and still is, the price is fair for what you get.
The price of the K-1ii is great for what you get, assuming you can fit it into your budget.
08-27-2022, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it would have been useful if the article had provided some assessments of real-world use of the various cameras -- the descriptions are basically overviews of the principle features or specifications. Links to "full reviews" are offered for only two of the cameras, but links to B&H Photo are provided for all cameras in prominent click boxes.

Nice to see a Pentax camera in there, and no doubt, the K-1 Mk II is a great camera. I guess I'll have to make do with my little non-best, pixel-starved APS-C camera for my landscape work.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 08-27-2022 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Nuance
08-27-2022, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The unhappy truth for many photographers who spend those eye-watering sums on cameras and equipment, is that the cameras are as fantastic as the author suggests, but that, as photographers go, they aren’t.

Let’s not mock someone who’s provided one half of the evidence for the above.

08-27-2022, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The price of the K-1ii is great for what you get,
The price of the K-1 without an accelerator pedal is around halfish of the mk2,the accelerator model isnt twice as good as the original.Ive got the accelerator in my KP too,(must be same batch as yours?).
08-27-2022, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I keep saying that I cannot afford the current price of this the K-1 mod 2 - and the K-1 mod 1 is not worth considering.
I was saying I have always believed the K-1ii is a wonderful camera, much better than the original.
I think it's a mistake to believe that the K1 mod 1 is not as good as the mod 2. I have both a K1 original and K1 II as "backup", and I'm still prefer using the K1 (and I can easily demonstrate why the K1 original is better for me). OTOH, the K1 original is sometimes sold under $1000 used, which is a very low price for what the camera is able to delivers.

---------- Post added 28-08-22 at 07:16 ----------

But the reality was and still is, the price is fair for what you get.
Depends what you shoot. If you don't shoot sports, action, you don't have to pay the extra money for the performance you don't use.
08-28-2022, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Depends what you shoot. If you don't shoot sports, action, you don't have to pay the extra money for the performance you don't use.
oh yes, but Pentax isnt the brand for that.

Specifically,both versions of the K-1 will give you reasonable value for what they are good at.

Sports action ect you can pay Sony Canon Nikon and Fuji, they all feel the need for speed.

08-28-2022, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #23
Unregistered User

The price of the K-1 without an accelerator pedal is around halfish of the mk2,the accelerator model isnt twice as good as the original.Ive got the accelerator in my KP too,(must be same batch as yours?).
Don't all KPs have the accelerator (I also have the KP)?
08-28-2022, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Don't all KPs have the accelerator (I also have the KP)?
Well, that 3 in total I know of now(yes, its a standard inclusion.)

On the original K-1 it came as a later U$ 500 add on.That was optional too.

Second generation K-1s had it included, like a KP.
08-28-2022, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #25
Unregistered User

Well, that 3 in total I know of now(yes, its a standard inclusion.)

On the original K-1 it came as a later U$ 500 add on.That was optional too.
I know, but I read complaints about it being in the K1-ii so got a lightly used original instead.

There are so many great photographs taken with much less than we have now that I don't worry about these things too much.
08-28-2022, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I appreciate Brett Day and his willingness to shoot with different gear. He is honest about the gear and talks about it from a photographer's stand point, not so much looking at it from a techie standpoint. His DA *16-50mm PLM review is a bit more negative than I would expect based on my experience with the lens, but overall, he is positive about Pentax cameras and lenses and actually talks about them.

(Pentax still needs to give some signs about them working on a K-1 III)....
08-28-2022, 04:13 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(Pentax still needs to give some signs about them working on a K-1 III)....
I think the previous R.I. CEO had a very good very humble attitude towards customers, but I believe he probably got it wrong with some resource decisions and planning of Pentax products. For example, Ricoh released the K1 mk II only one year after the K1 with tiny improvements, making it hard for customer to justify the upgrade from a K1. Ricoh could have delayed the K1 II a year or two and instead of just adding an accelerator chip they could have added a bit more memory (buffer) and upgraded the SD card slots to UHS-II plus some other firmware goodies without changing the design of the camera body itself, they would have sold more K1 mk II and we could NOT now say the K1 II is five years old. Then for a K1 mk III they would still have a enough room to upgrade from the K1 II (the K1II with UHS-II card slots), such as 101 points AF upgrade and 45+ Mpixels sensor upgrade with 4K video. By releasing the K1 II only one year after the K1, they created a huge gap of 6 years (or more depending when a K1 III might be released).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-28-2022 at 09:09 AM.
08-28-2022, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

By releasing the K1 II only one year after the K1, they created a huge gap of 6 years (or more depending when a K1 III might be released).
K-1 2016....K-1mk2 2018

upgraded the SD card slots to UHS-II
What for? Just to transfer files from card to computer?...The K-1s are slow cameras for slow deliberate shooting, they operate very nicely for what they are designed to do.

Ricoh has paralleled the D810/D500 combo that professionals used a while ago.A big FF for specific stills genres and a fast crop body for faster stuff.
08-28-2022, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Note that the 5DS R is now unavailable. Leaves the field to Pentax. I read previously it had been discontinued, https://www.diyphotography.net/production-of-the-canon-eos-5ds-5dsr-has-stopped-report-claims/. But obviously B&H had a pipeline to a bunch, and even a few popped up on Canon refurbs USA. But none at either site now, and not sure if there will be any.

I still think the K-1's are the best landscape cameras out there for the price. I'm sure the flagship R5, Sony, Nikon etc can do as well, but they still don't have Astrotracer and probably aren't as robust. And way more expensive, but in fairness also sort of apples vs oranges.
08-28-2022, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

The best thing about the K1.... is I have long forgotten paying for it.... so that makes it a free camera..... probally with 10 years more use for me.

I think some must operate in the "fraction of one percenter's" to stress too much between a K1 and K1mk2..... current price aside.