Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #1

Finding out if my K1 II is an upgraded K1

A couple of weeks ago I succumbed to the tentation of purchasing an used K1 II complete with battery grip. As I bought this unit from a camera store I have no idea of the service history of the camera. Although the camera has a fairly high shutter count (around 70.000 actuations, shutter rated for 300.000) the unit looks like it has never left a studio environment as the unit is virtually scratch free, clean viewfinder and works fine.
As Ricoh Pentax offered for a limited time an upgrade from mk1 --> mk2 is there a way to find out?
From what I read during the upgrade the main board was replaced, the top plate and perhaps the bottom plate on the camera so I suppose the exif information regarding the production date could be updated mine has 2018:04:06. serial # 73560xx.
Anyone on the forum who has updated his K1 to the K1 II could perhaps help me out. It is nice to know.

10-15-2022, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eric1965 Quote
As Ricoh Pentax offered for a limited time an upgrade from mk1 --> mk2 is there a way to find out?
If I recall correctly, the upgraded K-1 is still marked K-1 , but has an 'II' replacing the 'SR' marking.
It should also be designated K-1 Mark II, in the image exif data.
Cheers,
Terry

Last edited by tduell; 10-15-2022 at 04:32 PM. Reason: correction, additional info
10-15-2022, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easiest way to check is to see whether K-1 II is engraved on the body, or if it says K-1 with a II instead of the SR logo.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2022, 03:41 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't be downhearted if it is not "upgraded". I recall that at the time some of our members did not consider it to be an improvement and/or relevant to their type of photography. I decided against upgrading mine (and risking couriers damaging/losing it etc) because it already does everything I want.

10-16-2022, 06:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shouldn‘t there be a hint via installed firmware name?
10-16-2022, 06:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the info. The camera appears to be a "genuine"mark 2. SR logo as on other Pentax cameras, top plate engraved K1 II as the Certification sticker on the bottom plate and the EXIF data.
10-16-2022, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eric1965 Quote
Thank you for the info. The camera appears to be a "genuine"mark 2. SR logo as on other Pentax cameras, top plate engraved K1 II as the Certification sticker on the bottom plate and the EXIF data.
You'll be happy you "succumbed" I think.

10-16-2022, 02:47 PM - 3 Likes   #8

Original Poster
@texandrews Yes I am very happy. As I have primarily used the APS-C Pentax cameras, I was reticent regarding the weight and bulk of the K-1, and no possibility to experience the camera in the flesh as camera stores have them not on display. From an ergonomic standpoint this camera is great and paired with the FA 31-43-77 Ltd. it is the first time I have the FF look of these lenses on a digital camera. The main reason why I bought this camera.
10-16-2022, 04:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on your purchase! It's a wonderful camera.