Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2022, 10:00 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is supposed to produce a RAW file. I would shocked if it didn't -- Pentax's pixel shift and HDR produced RAW images, although not all software can use them correctly.
What kind of raw is the question. There's a big difference between what you can do with a true raw file that is the data before debayering, and a "raw" file that is actually a debayered 16-bit TIFF in a DNG container.

10-25-2022, 10:21 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Strangways Quote
What kind of raw is the question. There's a big difference between what you can do with a true raw file that is the data before debayering, and a "raw" file that is actually a debayered 16-bit TIFF in a DNG container.
As you say, these are all containers. With pixel shift, you basically have four raw images in a single image file. The issue is that most post processing software doesn't know what to do with them. The same is true for Pentax's HDR raw images, although in that case there are three images there.

I would hope this is a bit more of a developed image than those are. If Pentax just lumps two raw files in a container and expects your post processing software to handle it, odds are good that most of the people using Lightroom won't be able to get any benefit from it.
10-25-2022, 12:06 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As you say, these are all containers. With pixel shift, you basically have four raw images in a single image file. The issue is that most post processing software doesn't know what to do with them. The same is true for Pentax's HDR raw images, although in that case there are three images there.

I would hope this is a bit more of a developed image than those are. If Pentax just lumps two raw files in a container and expects your post processing software to handle it, odds are good that most of the people using Lightroom won't be able to get any benefit from it.
Does that mean Lightroom still can't manage pixel shift files or raw HDR files?
10-25-2022, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Lightroom (and ACR) can handle pixel shift files, but not the Dynamic pixel shift files.

Lightroom (and ACR) cannot handle the HDR files produced in-camera. But if you are going to process in LR or ACR you are better off bracketing single raw captures in camera and doing the HDR merge in LR/ACR.

10-25-2022, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I don't think Lightroom does anything with HDR other than read the first image of the three in the container. With pixel shift, Lightroom does combine the four images, but it is unable to do motion correction and so if there is any movement in the scene, it creates artifacts. This is particularly a problem in scenes that contain foliage or water.

(I use RawTherapee for pixel shift and don't shoot in camera HDR).
10-29-2022, 10:11 AM   #21

This limited function unlock key appears to be entered through some sort of QR code which is published on a website. I suppose one could share it with friends by taking a snip of the website.
10-29-2022, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(I use RawTherapee for pixel shift and don't shoot in camera HDR).
I like using HDR of the camera because it creates a container where the captures are held together. Split in PDCU is easily done by one klick and the three resulting raw files are created with the same file name plus an index 1 to 3. These files I use to develop one HDR image with the C1Pro HDR module.

10-29-2022, 10:38 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John the Third Quote
This limited function unlock key appears to be entered through some sort of QR code which is published on a website. I suppose one could share it with friends by taking a snip of the website.
I would expect it is keyed to your camera’s serial number during the purchase process. But I could be wrong. Also that’s clearly theft and I wouldn’t do it.
10-29-2022, 10:39 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Wouldn't it be limited to one camera by serial number?

10-29-2022, 07:37 PM   #25

I guess nobody bothered to read the website. It has a spot for you to enter your serial number, and says several times in several different ways that the activation key is specific to the serial number of the camera entered.
10-30-2022, 12:14 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Strangways Quote
I guess nobody bothered to read the website. It has a spot for you to enter your serial number, and says several times in several different ways that the activation key is specific to the serial number of the camera entered.
Indeed, no, I did not look at the website because the instructions that I read spoke about a website. I did not bother to look everywhere on internet to find a code. Who knows where you may end up.

But it makes sense to link the code to the serial number, also if this is supposedly only available in Japan. Just check by serial number where the camera is sold.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would expect it is keyed to your camera’s serial number during the purchase process. But I could be wrong. Also that’s clearly theft and I wouldn’t do it.
Yes, but like said, if you don't live in Japan and you want to test it out...
10-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed, no, I did not look at the website because the instructions that I read spoke about a website. I did not bother to look everywhere on internet to find a code. Who knows where you may end up.

But it makes sense to link the code to the serial number, also if this is supposedly only available in Japan. Just check by serial number where the camera is sold.

Yes, but like said, if you don't live in Japan and you want to test it out...
The information so far is that it will be available first in Japan only, then expanded to the rest of the world when payment systems are in place.

Please do not go down the route of suggesting ways of trying to pirate the software.