Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2022, 12:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

FW 2.0 Added limited function [Grad ND Shooting].

Anyone any idea what this is???

Firmware 2.0

EDIT

I have found that one has to buy a code to activate the function. It is found in Menu Wrench 5.

They are doing what Sony has been doing for some time now and that is a sad developement.

I have held Pentax above all the others for a long time but now Pentax lost alot of itīs appeal.

I am truly dissapointed...

Last edited by TheSwede; 10-18-2022 at 01:14 PM.
10-18-2022, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by TheSwede Quote

Firmware 2.0

EDIT

I have found that one has to buy a code to activate the function. It is found in Menu Wrench 5.

They are doing what Sony has been doing for some time now and that is a sad developement.

I have held Pentax above all the others for a long time but now Pentax lost alot of itīs appeal.

You can do without the license, however it might occur you're about to take a once in a lifetime photo, but you can't until the commercial on your screen has ended...

On a serious note, software development is really expensive. I'm fine with paying for additional features that didn't exist when I bought the camera. You know at front what you get, additional features are a bonus. You don't have to buy the license...
10-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
You can do without the license, however it might occur you're about to take a once in a lifetime photo, but you can't until the commercial on your screen has ended...

On a serious note, software development is really expensive. I'm fine with paying for additional features that didn't exist when I bought the camera. You know at front what you get, additional features are a bonus. You don't have to buy the license...
They have never charged for this in the past.
10-18-2022, 01:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It reminds me of the 80's when some manufacturer ( Minolta from my bad memory) had small chip cards that were marketed with different programs ( sports, Landscape, portrait etc) that gave different capabilities to the camera. Fortunately we now have our cameras with all these exposure types built in. Perhaps this is more a response to the artificial intelligence of phone photos , as a test in one country it might take off or not, hard to tell. I do like that as a company Pentax has generally looked after it's customer base. I have a K1 which could have been updated to a K1II if I chose a few years ago, the latest profiles for some lenses were a pleasant surprise too.Limiting the new profiles to newer lenses seems to be a push for old users such as myself to update to the HD coated lenses from my old SMC versions ( No plans to do that yet).

10-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Firmware 2.0

EDIT

How much is it to purchase this addon?
10-18-2022, 02:08 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
The price today in Japan is 10000 yen so it is not cheap... To much for me.

Last edited by pschlute; 10-18-2022 at 02:21 PM.
10-18-2022, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The price today in Japan is 10000 yen so it is not cheap... To much for me.
Or you can look upon it another way.... $67 is a lot cheaper than buying a ND grad filter for all your lenses

10-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Found this on the homepagen (?????????Grad ND????????????for PENTAX K-1? | RICOH IMAGING)

11 000 yen with taxes. Approx: 74 USD

The Grad ND function is a function that gives the effect of shooting with a gradation ND filter. This is possible by taking two images with proper exposure and one with lower exposure and combining them. A normal gradation ND filter adjusts the exposure by reducing the amount of light, so it is necessary to prepare a filter according to the exposure adjustment, but the Grad ND function synthesizes images with different exposures, You can adjust the exposure simply by changing the exposure setting on the camera.
[Filter type]
Normal: Grad ND offers normal, reversal, and custom filters. It is also possible to select line (dark) or line (bright) in Custom.
Reverse: Composites so that the light is dimmed toward the bottom. You can adjust the darkest position, composition range, amount of light reduction (exposure), etc.
Custom: In addition to normal and reverse, you can select the type of filter from line (dark) and line (bright). Up to 3 files can be saved (*).
* The dimming amount (exposure amount) is not saved.
10-18-2022, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Firmware 2.0

EDIT

I shoot Sony as well as Pentax. The external software features via playmemories some of which were paid programs are not supported on newer cameras. Most Sony shooters are annoyed by this not relieved. Newer firmware is free but features are more limited.
10-18-2022, 07:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I want to buy this (to use and to support Pentax). Their website says it's only offered in Japan right now. What happens if I pay for it anyway?
10-19-2022, 01:08 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I want to buy this (to use and to support Pentax). Their website says it's only offered in Japan right now. What happens if I pay for it anyway?
Only one way to find out
10-19-2022, 01:20 AM   #12

And if it is in Japanese only what then?
10-19-2022, 02:57 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
@JPT indicated that they were exploring pay options to make it available in other countries. There isn't any reason that it won't be released down the road, I suppose they just need to figure out logistics on it.
10-19-2022, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As one of the folks who paid $500usd for a board replacement for my K1 to K1mkII conversion, this is exactly the sort of thing I am thrilled to see Pentax do, and am happy to pay for it as well. I can't tell if this is a jpg only feature, however. If so, it's crippled for me....but if it's raw, I'll buy immediately.
10-19-2022, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
As one of the folks who paid $500usd for a board replacement for my K1 to K1mkII conversion, this is exactly the sort of thing I am thrilled to see Pentax do, and am happy to pay for it as well. I can't tell if this is a jpg only feature, however. If so, it's crippled for me....but if it's raw, I'll buy immediately.
It is supposed to produce a RAW file. I would shocked if it didn't -- Pentax's pixel shift and HDR produced RAW images, although not all software can use them correctly.