Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2022, 01:22 PM   #1

K-1 II Problem - Help

I was shooting an event last Sunday, all was going good until I handed my K-1 ll off to my wife to take a picture with me and a few of my friends. She did so and then I shot about another 60 pictures. When I returned home I put the memory card in the computer as I always do, and started to view my photo's. Everything was fine up to the photo my wife took and every photo after that was in Black and White.
For the life of me I cannot figure out what the problem is that happened. The Camera is in "P" mode, I went through everything in the Menu and all looks normal. When I switch to "Auto" mode I have color.
Can anyone help me figure out what happened and how I can fix this issue.
Thank you.

11-29-2022, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MEADOWLANDS 151 Quote
Everything was fine up to the photo my wife took and every photo after that was in Black and White.
Could the Four-Way Controller have been accidentally pressed a few times? Check the Custom Image setting for 'Monochrome'.

- Craig
11-29-2022, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like camera was accidently switched to monochrome when handing it over, sometimes when people are not accustomed to handing cameras, the four way controller on the back of the camera gets buttons pressed and changes get made to the shooting mode. Just go to "P" mode, press LV so as everything is on the back screen and check the settings there, it's a fairly easy setting to find, just press the right button on the four way controller, the setting for the jpeg will come up, use the left and right buttons to change the setting to what you want, press OK in the middle to save the setting.

A good idea, when passing your camera to others to take pictures is to "LOCK" the setting so nothing can accidently be changed. On the front of the camera up above the AF switch there are 3 buttons, the top one being the LOCK button, again, easiest way to know its ON, is to press LV so as everything is showing on the back screen, press and hold, the LOCK button, you will see the LOCK setting on the back screen, use the scroll wheel to turn it ON or OFF.

Last edited by cmohr; 11-29-2022 at 01:56 PM.
11-29-2022, 01:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Sounds like camera was accidently switched to monochrome when handing it over, sometimes when people are not accustomed to handing cameras, the four way controller on the back of the camera gets buttons pressed and changes get made to the shooting mode. Just go to "P" mode, press LV so as everything is on the back screen and check the settings there, it's a fairly easy setting to find, just press the right button on the four way controller, the setting for the jpeg will come up, use the left and right buttons to change the setting to what you want, press OK in the middle to save the setting.
Thank you so much !!!! I knew it was something simple but could not figure this out with the owners manual. I even called my friends at B&H Photo and he had not idea. Thank you for your prompt response and complete instructions.

11-29-2022, 02:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

raw or dng files should be ok . it will effect jpg files only
11-29-2022, 02:38 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's also a small button just above and to the right of the 4-way pad (the 1-2 button). Pressing this will lock out the 4-way pad (mode-wise) and place the camera in selective AF where you can choose the spot in the optical VF which the AF will use. That can still give you grief if the 4-way is accidentally bumped but it will only throw off the AF sample location and not affect major things as in your case. Early on, I found out about this issue when my camera suddenly began taking shots seconds after I pushed the shutter release. Only later did I find out that the camera had switched to the 12 second delay mode (good for self-portraits but not good when you're shooting action).

The same button also selects which SD card you see on the LCD screen in review mode (when you have two cards).
Attached Images

Last edited by Bob 256; 11-29-2022 at 03:06 PM.
11-29-2022, 02:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
There's also a small button just above and to the right of the 4-way pad. Pressing this will lock out the 4-way pad (mode-wise) and place the camera in selective AF where you can choose the spot in the optical VF which the AF will use. That can still give you grief if the 4-way is accidentally bumped but it will only throw off the AF sample location and not affect major things as in your case. Early on, I found out about this issue when my camera suddenly began taking shots seconds after I pushed the shutter release. Only later did I find out that the camera had switched to the 12 second delay mode (good for self-portraits but not good when you're shooting action).
Good information to know. Thank you

11-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MEADOWLANDS 151 Quote
Thank you so much !!!! I knew it was something simple but could not figure this out with the owners manual. I even called my friends at B&H Photo and he had not idea. Thank you for your prompt response and complete instructions.
There's a big difference between the knowledge of a sales person and people who actually shoot!

Glad it all worked out with great advice from fellow forum members.
12-09-2022, 06:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Glad everything has worked out ok, that our wise and experienced forum members were able to be of service, and welcome to the forum! I generally advise the new camera owner, instead of the mode dial being set to the green "Auto", it is best to use the P mode for fully automated exposure by the camera's setting of both shutter speed and aperture, because this mode does NOT disable controls and eliminate access to adjustments, including the exclusive and very useful Pentax Hyper System. The user has full access to controls and adjustments, and can override the camera's decisions at any time. However, your recent situation- handing the camera over to a novice for temporary use, is exactly when the green "Auto" mode is the ideal choice- for those very limitations!