Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Shutter Replacement?

Hi Guys,

Does.anyone know the cost of replacing the shutter in a K1?

Thanks!

12-18-2022, 11:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Butch5 Quote
Hi Guys,

Does.anyone know the cost of replacing the shutter in a K1?

Thanks!
Are you sure about shutter problem? I had shutter charge motor failure - repair about 450 euro. The shutter itself was OK.
12-19-2022, 12:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was $353.00 at Precision Camera, according to November 2018 prices.

Yikes - just checked current prices - $426 + $58 shipping.
Ouch... I better not break any more shutters.
12-19-2022, 06:32 AM   #4

As Medex pointed out is the shutter faulty? It can be the mechanism which operates the mirror and re-cocking the shutter.
Perhaps giving some more information regarding the errors you get could be helpful to diagnose the problem.

Through official Pentax repair channels you can expect something between 300 to 500 EUR.
Through non official Pentax repair channels you could eventually contact Mr. Petar Petrunov at Aquarius services LTD in Sofia Bulgaria. He repaired a few Pentax DSLR's as some Nikon stuff for me at very reasonable prices.

12-20-2022, 03:15 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Guys. I looked at it some more and it may not be the shutter. I put it in mirror up and it worked fine every time. I put it back into single drive mode and it would fire but then after several repeated shots it simply would not respond to the shutter release button. It simply did nothing. Then suddenly it would start to fire again and then stop again.
12-20-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Butch5 Quote
Thanks Guys. I looked at it some more and it may not be the shutter. I put it in mirror up and it worked fine every time. I put it back into single drive mode and it would fire but then after several repeated shots it simply would not respond to the shutter release button. It simply did nothing. Then suddenly it would start to fire again and then stop again.
If you have access to a battery grip (bg-6), will it fire from the vertical position button? That would narrow the problem down to the normal release button. Likewise, will if fire from the connected phone app (ios or android)?
12-20-2022, 06:37 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, I don't know why I originally had the problem. It was cold. I wonder if that could be a problem. I've used the camera in the cold many times and never had an issue. In my last post I mentioned that after several shots the shutter button didn't react. I believe it was because the camera was buffering. I put it into jpeg format, and it fired many shots before slowing down.

When I was using it and had the problem, it was like something got stuck and when I hit the shutter release it would get unstuck. It did, however, take the photo. Then later that day on a shoot whatever got stuck stayed stuck. I pulled the battery but that didn't help. After pressing the release button several times, it unstuck. When I looked through the viewfinder while it was stuck It was dark and I couldn't see through it.

Also, when I put the camera in manual mode, in burst mode on high, set the shutter speed to 1/500 of a second at f2.8, and press the shutter button I can count the shutter actuations. When I do the same with my K3 ii it sounds like a machine gun. I couldn't count the actuations.

Last edited by Butch5; 12-20-2022 at 07:31 PM.