Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2023, 07:28 PM   #1
Closed Account

K-1 scratch is not a scratch on the body at all!

I just seen an interesting post on a Pentax facebook group, where someone thought they had scratched their K-1, but then learned that every K-1 he's seen has it and it's probably there by design for some lens...

Your thoughts?

Below is his post, that I copied and pasted. Other users agreed with him that it is an indentation there by design. I would love to see a macro shot of what everyone is talking about here.

"I only discovered yesterday - after years of intense use - the Pentax K-1 is predisastered by design. Years ago, I wanted to try if I could use a bellows to shoot digital copies of analogue slides, but attaching it it got stuck and I felt absolutely horrible for having created a nasty scratch over the lens mount.

Yesterday I was looking at what MPB is offering on their site (which is quite a lot!) every K-1 (and II) has the same "scratch". I didn't put a scratch there by my own stupidity at all. It was there from day one and I never noticed it before. And since I rarely see anyone else using the K-1, I never noticed it earlier either Quite a relief! "

01-07-2023, 07:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It’s probably there from a Sigma or another third party lens or a similar bellows incident. Many Sigma lenses had to be retrofitted to avoid scratching the pentaprism housing. I doubt a new out of the box unit has the scratch.
01-07-2023, 08:15 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It’s probably there from a Sigma or another third party lens or a similar bellows incident. Many Sigma lenses had to be retrofitted to avoid scratching the pentaprism housing. I doubt a new out of the box unit has the scratch.

Here are the other replies in the thread. I thought some of you may be interested in reading them. I apologize for the sloppy copying and pasting....There is a very interesting link from Sigma, where Sigma takes responsibility (I have not read the link, just read the beginning of it).... Then, there's a photo in the thread below showing a "scratch" but a person then posts a photo of a new K-1 and says that it is not a scratch as they are on new ones.

Are we all talking about the same "scratch" here? Is the scratch that Sigma speaks of the same scratch as seen in photos below ? Is it not a scratch at all as it is present on new ones?

I think there are many questions here - ????? I'm not a K-1 owner, but found all of this very interesting...

• Trefor Hazlewood-JonesIt is not a scratch. It is an indentation and it is part of the body design. I confess that I had not noticed it before and I have no idea why it is there.
    • 10h
    • Edited

Marc WielaertTrefor Hazlewood-Jones that's what my whole post is about.

• Trefor Hazlewood-JonesYes. I realise that. Well spotted.

• Ken TschappatI believe what you are referring to, is designed to allow some lenses to fit on the body.

• Marc WielaertKen Tschappat I just shared I thought I was responsible for the scratch. Took me years to realise it was by design.

• 6h
        • Edited

• Ben McGannYou post about MPB and a MPB sponsored post shows up in the feed...

• Marc WielaertBen McGann you mean how?

• Ben McGannMarc Wielaert It was about 6 posts down…In my news feed, not the group feed.

• 8h
    • Edited

• Marc WielaertGoogle at work

• Ralf PrienDon‘t see a scratch on mine (this is a shot of it after it toppled over on the tripod, the flange kept attached to the 150-450).

• Didi PakChongouchhhhh!!!!

• Peter FryI'm pretty sure Sigma reverse engineered the dimensions presumably based on pre-existing bodies, rather than Pentax sharing a specification. With the K1, Pentax made the shape of the pentaprism housing different from any previous camera. So not so much a question of incorrect tolerances as the inherent risks (to Sigma and customers) of reverse engineering. Sigma came out with a fairly fast offer to alter the affected lenses but too late for those K1s affected. https://www.sigmaphoto.com/.../use-of-pentax-mount-sigma...

SIGMAPHOTO.COM
    Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the “Pentax K-1 | SIGMA Corporation of America

Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the “Pentax K-1 | SIGMA Corporation of America

• Stefan ZandburgPeter Fry Specications of the original K-mount were public. Modification of the KF-mount for autofocus with the ME-F was not. The bayonet contacts of the KA-mount for the aperture control and programmed exposure are also well documented. The specificat… See more

• Karsten SpingerYou needed to modify the Sigma lens (for free). I had to send my 35mm Art (used one) also to Sigma prior usage and scratching my K1 - really hard: You got a new lens and have to send it to Service prior first usage

• Shane GerrishK1 mark II

Shane GerrishHas only ever had the 15-30/2.8 mounted to it and it misses by miles.

• 4h
      • Edited

• Chris BeesleyI think it was pretty much all Sigma lenses that made the scratch due to incorrect tolerances when they designed them for the pentax mount. For a while you could send them back to Sigma for modification

• Marc WielaertLike I wrote: it's not a scratch. Here's a new one

• Murray MunnI too though I don't have a K-1 have stared hard at images and have decided a lot of past owners had bought Sigma lenses. Why on those sites are battery doors listed as included? It's an essential, integral part of the camera. They don't list 'shutter' as included ...
    • 8h
    • Edited

• Geff GascayPentax lenses don’t leave a scratch, and for any vintage bellows, where you are increasing the flange distance anyway, an extension tube is used to allow good fit, working distance and the ability to rotate between portrait and landscape modes when using a bellows.

• Matt ParezDang! A bunch of K-1s over on the europe site there.
    Didn't sigma take some heat because everyone blamed the 35mm art lens for the scratch?

• Tristan SolracMatt Parez yes and it is arguably one of the reasons why they stopped producing Pentax lenses.

• Matt ParezTristan Solrac yeah, they were probably pissed. Made them look bad and was probably a pain to correct.

• Tristan SolracMatt Parezto this day, they are still replacing mounts to suit the newer models for free. I just had a 85mm 1.4 EX DG updated late last year.

• Yung-Han ChangMy sigma 50 1.4 caused that scratch not couple weeks into ownership, it bothered me when it was new, now its feels part of it much like an old camera edge's has rubbed off patina.

• Steven FarmerI have a set of bellows work slide holder and works well for me

• Martin JostA camera without a scratch is unused. Even my 1,5 year old K3/3 got one.

• Dan PetersonI attached an official Pentax M42-PK adapter to a bellows rig, mounted on the K1, and nearly panicked when I realized it wouldn't unscrew from the camera. A little patience and help from a micro precision screwdriver, and was able to get it separated … See more

• Côté Sylvainmaybe It was added at the time to accomodate the sigma lense's barrel on pentax bodies... even tho sigma was offering to fix that under warranty.
  • 1h
  • Edited

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 01-07-2023 at 08:40 PM.
01-07-2023, 08:46 PM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
I've found more info:
There is one indentation on the K-1's that is there from the factory. In my link below, I believe a 2nd indentation is actually the result of a scratch from a Sigma lens.

Sigma reports lens mount scratching issue with Pentax K-1, prepares fix for affected lenses

Also, Attached

Attached Images

01-07-2023, 09:23 PM   #5

That is indeed the scratch on the K-1 body caused by certain Sigma lenses. Sigma even offered to have the damage repaired for a time.

The K-70 has the same problem.

See photo in article below
Sigma Announces Lens Mounting Issue with K-70 - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Sigma Offers K-1-Related Lens Repair Service - Photo Industry News | PentaxForums.com
01-07-2023, 11:52 PM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That is indeed the scratch on the K-1 body caused by certain Sigma lenses. Sigma even offered to have the damage repaired for a time.

The K-70 has the same problem.

See photo in article below
Sigma Announces Lens Mounting Issue with K-70 - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Sigma Offers K-1-Related Lens Repair Service - Photo Industry News | PentaxForums.com

Yes. Many that replied to the thread I posted from facebook, many or most of them believe that it's referring to the "marking" on the camera that is actually there from the factory.
Of course, as we can all see now in the photo, the Sigma caused scratch is below that one....

I posted in their thread, on facebook, telling them so. Of all the replies to that post, not a single person recognized the real Sigma scratch & were all referring to the factory made one....
01-08-2023, 12:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That is not a scratch. It is how every K1/K1 II comes out of the factory

01-08-2023, 12:38 AM   #8

The body comes from the factory with a cutout (notch) so certain Pentax lens will fit without damage.
01-08-2023, 01:26 AM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
It depends on what you are referring to,
The image in this link, it is a scratch from a Sigma, found just below the factory "notch."

Sigma reports lens mount scratching issue with Pentax K-1, prepares fix for affected lenses
01-08-2023, 05:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
It depends on what you are referring to
I was referring to the larger "notch" that is evident on all K-1 and K-1 II cameras.

I do remember the problem with Sigma lenses when the K-1 first came out putting an actual scratch on the body. Did Sigma offer a fix for this. I seem to remember they did.
01-08-2023, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The body comes from the factory with a cutout (notch) so certain Pentax lens will fit without damage.
I wonder which lens that might be. I guess it must have been to accomodate an older lens, maybe the 1000mm mirror lens? I have 4 DFA zooms and they all clear the body easily so I don't think it was designed for them.
01-08-2023, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Too many images in the thread. Some are a scratch, some are just the design as you say.
01-09-2023, 08:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't get what the big deal now is. That's been a known issue for several years. Sigma at the time offered users to send their lenses in to have the issue corrected. So at this point it's user beware if they use a Sigma lens unbeknown whether it has been corrected or not.
01-09-2023, 07:42 PM   #14
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I don't get what the big deal now is. That's been a known issue for several years. Sigma at the time offered users to send their lenses in to have the issue corrected. So at this point it's user beware if they use a Sigma lens unbeknown whether it has been corrected or not.
Well, it recently came across my Facebook newsfeed, as I belong to one of the Pentax groups on facebook.
You say that it has been a known issue for years; however, not a single person in the entire thread, and it was getting fairly long, not a single person knew what the *real* scratch was. All of them thought it was simply the indentation in the camera during its manufacturing in the factory. Until I pointed it out, none of them had seen this 2nd "indentation" that was from an actual Sigma lens making a small scratch. In fact, also, one man posted in that thread today that "

Anyways, in the grand theme of life, it's nothing. I use to be quite OCD about any type of new equipment I had purchased. I recall being quite OCD over a new truck that I bought. I can trace my OCD back to a family member I lived with that was also quite OCD abut their belongs. Luckily, I have moved on and don't get OCD about things so much. I've come to the realization that nothing is perfect. I don't want to say that I "outgrew" it because that would apply that people that haven't overcome it are juvenile or not grown. A friend once told me that the best thing you can do when you get a new truck is go ahead and kick a dent in one of the fenders - I found that to be an interesting take on it. Smiles....

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 01-09-2023 at 08:07 PM.
01-10-2023, 11:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

A. It's not a 2nd indentation. B. It's more of a slight surface rub then a scratch. Mine certainly has never worsened or worn through the finish with continued use of my Sigma lenses that weren't corrected.
Your right this whole thing is much to do about nothing except dredge more on something that was already posted extensively on almost 7 years ago and is still very much readable about currently on this site...
Sigma Announces Lens Compatibility Issues with K-1 - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com

I just don't see the point of it being brought forth again as an issue topic since hasn't really affected anything with the lens, lens mount or really the camera then or now. God forbid we worry about a little scratch on our camera bodies....lol