Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2023, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
All of my lenses work fine on my K-5 iis, so I assume they will work fine on the K-1 as far as mounting goes
Yes they will. No need whatsoever to get your dremel out.

02-07-2023, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and that the K-1 takes sharper images
Image quality between the two cameras is identical. Now someone with more testing kit than common sense may tell you that the NR that is "baked into" the K-1 II raw files is detrimental. It is not.
02-07-2023, 02:55 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curious about this. When you say it sends the camera into hyperspace, what exactly do you mean? Settings get messed up? Camera becomes inoperable? Something else?
It will change your camera mode. For example, a few days after I got my K-1, I had a fairly valuable shoot (to me anyway) and after taking a few shots, the camera started doing something strange (now in "hyperspace" mode). The shutter wouldn't trip when I pressed the shutter release and the camera seemed to go dead. I could get it back by turning it off and back on but the issue was still there. After trying a couple of more shots, I discovered that it would actually take a shot seconds after I pressed the shutter release. At that time, I hadn't had the camera long enough to know what to do so I gave up and got my shots with my old trusty film Pentax. When I had time, I found that it was in shutter release delay mode (still not knowing what I had done to put it there). I looked up the mode and found that it could be entered with the 4-way pad and also found that several other modes were possible the same way. All it took was a couple of properly placed bumps on the pad, but I also found the button to switch the 4-way function to AF positioning which if the pad gets bumped, is noticeable through the viewfinder, so that's where I keep it.
Maybe it doesn't really put you, the user, in hyperspace, but you could put a few stars around my sentences when it happened.

Last edited by Bob 256; 02-07-2023 at 03:01 PM.
02-07-2023, 10:52 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well yes, one must use care in handling because of the many, many controls that can be inadvertently engaged that can change a whole lot of functions!

Right now B&H has a very good deal going on a new K-1 II body along with very useful free items thrown in free. $1,797 which is $200 off the camera price, and the items are- a very roomy, quality camera/lens bag, a high quality SD card, and editing software- easily $300+ worth of free items which are indeed useful. I know because I took a similar deal when I got mine a couple of years ago, but which included the prepackaged excellent DFA 28-105mm DC WR lens at an additional $100 off the lens price (still offered). Just to show how good this current deal is, the new APS-C K-3 III is also on sale- for $1,697 but with no free items.

Such a deal for a FF camera of the outstanding quality the K-1 II definitely is, can hardly be duplicated otherwise!

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-07-2023 at 11:22 PM.
02-16-2023, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've seen a number of K1 in the used market, user tried to repair themselves (camera was opened), couldn't figure out how to fix the issue they had, reassembled the camera and put it up for sale on ebay.
Look at the pictures, especially the little screws visible on the outside of the camera. The screw are normally anodized black. If screws aren't black, you can see it on pictures, the camera has been opened for repair (or attempt to repair), then ask if the camera has been repaired and if yes ask for repair certificate.
Also, if the camera is scratched, although it doesn't mean there is a problem inside the camera, it gives a hint about the personality of its owner.
If the camera has high shutter count, and "soft" wear such as pain fading away on friction areas, that's "normal" wear, carrying the camera in padded bag.
If the camera has lots of external marks, scratches, the camera has been badly treated, likely bumped, and it may have latent reliability issues.
You can't know if the camera has been wet inside, dried and recovered (corrosion => latent failure), that's a small risk.
I just wanted to thank you for this advice. I was considering a used K-1 being offered by an
online camera store. They sent pictures of the actual camera, and when I zoomed in on them
you could see marks on all of the screws on the bottom, and some of the ones on the sides.
Although the camera comes with a warranty, I decided not to take the chance. You may have
saved me from making a costly mistake. I guess I will just have to keep looking. Thanks again
for your advice.