Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2023, 07:52 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K1 Monochrome images

Earlier this month I had a K1 debayered and converted to a monochrome camera. (Thank you Medex) I've also used K3 Monochrome for a few months now. With the current high level of interest in monochrome cameras shown by our Pentax members, I thought it appropriate to have a thread with images from the full-frame Pentax. I doubt anyone could possibly tell from which camera these came with the reduced resolutions, but the photos may still be interesting. I've only had the opportunity to use it for a few days so excuse the lack of really interesting subjects.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo     
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-18-2023 at 09:30 PM.
04-18-2023, 07:55 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Then two more using high ISO's before daybreak. One at ISO32000 about 20 minutes before sunrise and the other ISO102400 probably 45 minutes earlier.

Note: The camera time is wrong. When I set it back up I mistook the time zone for one thing. End result it was over an hour off. (Fixed now)
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-22-2023 at 08:07 PM.
04-18-2023, 07:59 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh and one more I just really liked as a split-tone
Attached Images

04-18-2023, 09:29 PM - 6 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Nice Images.
For high resolution I use flickr and place BBCode.
This image was shot in studio. Very good balance of whites and darks (slight overexposure in necklace speckles and slight underexposure in head accessory. Dynamic range about 11-12 eV

04-18-2023, 09:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

How do you convert images from mono converted camera, complicated?
Does removal of micro-lenses create ghosting?
Where could we download a DNG or PEF for processing?
04-18-2023, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OOOH, that one is very nice Medex. I haven't had the opportunity yet to use my K1 either in studio or on a remote model shoot. Looking forward to doing so tho, and soon. .
04-18-2023, 11:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How do you convert images from mono converted camera, complicated?
Does removal of micro-lenses create ghosting?
Where could we download a DNG or PEF for processing?
I use Monochrome2DNG converter for image conversion. About 30 euro for software (2 licenses), 30 day trial period.
I do this step not always. For most internet size images I use native RAW from converted camera, apply embedded BW profile in LR. But before shooting I make custom Custom color profile in camera (use white paper) and choose Monochrome profile.
MK1_0057.DNG - Google Drive, MK1_0091.DNG - Google Drive, MK1_0083.DNG - Google Drive, MK1_0100.DNG - Google Drive, MK1_0108.DNG - Google Drive

04-19-2023, 02:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great thread. The new camera has certainly inspired an upsurge in b+w images from all models.
04-19-2023, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I do this step not always. For most internet size images I use native RAW from converted camera, apply embedded BW profile in LR. But before shooting I make custom Custom color profile in camera (use white paper) and choose Monochrome profile.MK1_0057.DNG - Google Drive, MK1_0091.DNG - Google Drive, MK1_0083.DNG - Google Drive, MK1_0100.DNG - Google Drive, MK1_0108.DNG - Google Drive
I guess those files have been processed via monochrome2dng. I wanted the original camera file to check if I can process it with Rawtherapee because in RT you can select how to interpret raw file data, hoping to not need any extra software.

In RT, it's possible to disable color demosaicing, which means, mono2DNG converter is no even necessary, maybe. Then anyone can take raw files from a mono converted camera and process it into b&w with RT, for free.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-19-2023 at 04:56 AM.
04-19-2023, 05:25 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess those files have been processed via monochrome2dng. I wanted the original camera file to check if I can process it with Rawtherapee because in RT you can select how to interpret raw file data, hoping to not need any extra software.

In RT, it's possible to disable color demosaicing, which means, mono2DNG converter is no even necessary, maybe. Then anyone can take raw files from a mono converted camera and process it into b&w with RT, for free.
I've been told you can do that, so if accurate Raw Therapee (and Darktable?) are options. In my case, I don't enjoy using either of those programs, and they wouldn't fit well with my processing workflow anyway. Mostly Adobe programs, with side courses of DxO and Topaz. I've spent a lot of hours developing custom presets for the looks I favor.

So for $25, the cost of Monochrome2Dng, I don't have to alter my process much to work with monochrome. But even that isn't required as Medex already mentioned.
04-19-2023, 05:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Those files are original RAWs, not preprocessed in Mono2DNG converter
04-19-2023, 05:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

For high resolution I use flickr and place BBCode.
Hi Medex, do you recommend converting a K5IIs to monochrome? Could you share your info. or PM me? Thanks.
04-19-2023, 06:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Hi Medex, do you recommend converting a K5IIs to monochrome? Could you share your info. or PM me? Thanks.
K 5iis is very good variant, except compatibility with KAF4 lenses. Original optical glass elements and ultrasonic dust removal will be retained.
04-19-2023, 08:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

except compatibility with KAF4 lenses
I'll be using the camera mostly with my FA Limited Trio (31, 43, 77) lenses. I think they should be fine. I have the camera and I am not using it at all. This way I can start using my Pentax system again. Please PM me your info., website, phone, email, cost, etc. The only hesitation I have is not having enough resolution for say a 24"x36" print. I would have preferred a K1 or a K3 for that but I sold my K1 and my K3.
04-19-2023, 09:44 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I'll be using the camera mostly with my FA Limited Trio (31, 43, 77) lenses. I think they should be fine. I have the camera and I am not using it at all. This way I can start using my Pentax system again. Please PM me your info., website, phone, email, cost, etc. The only hesitation I have is not having enough resolution for say a 24"x36" print. I would have preferred a K1 or a K3 for that but I sold my K1 and my K3.
PM sent