Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2023, 07:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 ii electronic shutter

On the k-1ii Is the electronic shutter designed to take only one photo at a time? I turn on the electronic shutter push the shutter and only get one photo at a time. On my K3 iii I get a lot of photos with the electronic shutter. What could be wrong.

04-28-2023, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BAKrueger Quote
On the k-1ii Is the electronic shutter designed to take only one photo at a time? I turn on the electronic shutter push the shutter and only get one photo at a time. On my K3 iii I get a lot of photos with the electronic shutter. What could be wrong.
What drive mode are you in ? You need to be in continuous shooting mode, same as your K3III
04-28-2023, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Albums
Isn't electronic shutter on the K-1 only for single shot live view where the trailing curtain is mechanical?
04-28-2023, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
Isn't electronic shutter on the K-1 only for single shot live view where the trailing curtain is mechanical?
I think you are right. The ES is disabled on the K-1/K-1II when continuous shooting is enabled.

04-28-2023, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could be due to the extra time required to read out an ES shot. In ES mode, the sensor is read in sections and takes longer than normal plus the trailing shutter has to be re-cocked. Ricoh engineers may have decided ES doesn't work well enough with continuous shooting. Just guessing though.
04-30-2023, 05:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It also can't be selected in with other camera selections it's all on pg 52 of the manual.
05-10-2023, 03:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just to leave this here in case anyone else encounters it.
(1) On the K1 Mark 1 ES was originally only for pixel shift. A firmware update added (as said above) ES with mechanical trailing shutter. In for the Mark 1 the manual doesn't describe ES and it is in the firmware release notes. In practice although the shutter closes at the end, I believe it is a "rolling" shutter (see 4) i.e. for 1/1000th exposure the top of the sensor is exposed before the bottom. I haven't notice this effect in pictures, but moving subjects may be slightly distorted.
(2) AIUI the K1 Mark II started with this in firmware and update the manual accordingly.
(3) In various multi exposure modes the ES is turned off. (as above)
(4) Because it is a rolling shutter it will not work with an external flash and the camera does not trigger the flash. This caused me a bunch of issues when I said "There's no reason NOT to use ES" turned it on by default and then when I went to use live view in a studio setting we couldn't work out why the flash wouldn't fire.

05-10-2023, 09:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ES first curtain models generally have little rolling shutter but they can cause distorted bokeh.