Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2023, 07:08 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by James O'Neill Quote
about 140 to rent a Sony and native lens for a weekend, which is what I think I am going to do, and try some comparisons
Renting before buying seems the best idea to me.

12-07-2023, 07:11 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Liveview with tracking works fine. Perhaps you do not want liveview. Sorry to revive this expiring thread if this has already been discussed.
12-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Liveview with tracking works fine. Perhaps you do not want liveview. Sorry to revive this expiring thread if this has already been discussed.

I don't. Whether it is just a thing in my head or what I can't say but there is something about looking at the people I'm photographing through the camera. Not looking at a screen, it's why (I think) I never took to video, don't take a lot of pictures on my phone, and part my objection to the "live view through a peep hole" that is an EVF. Flying and filming from a drone I don't feel any connection which might be why my drone has flown so little. If I put the camera on a tripod, used live view - made sure before every shot LV had gone to the right place and all of that fewer of my pictures would be misses. But I shoot handheld, moving around, reacting to what models do in front of the camera, I want to keep the spontaneity and answer to working with the K1 seems to be don't do that, be more methodical.
12-08-2023, 11:26 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't. Whether it is just a thing in my head or what I can't say but there is something about looking at the people I'm photographing through the camera. Not looking at a screen, it's why (I think) I never took to video, don't take a lot of pictures on my phone, and part my objection to the "live view through a peep hole" that is an EVF. Flying and filming from a drone I don't feel any connection which might be why my drone has flown so little. If I put the camera on a tripod, used live view - made sure before every shot LV had gone to the right place and all of that fewer of my pictures would be misses. But I shoot handheld, moving around, reacting to what models do in front of the camera, I want to keep the spontaneity and answer to working with the K1 seems to be don't do that, be more methodical.
I understand that. I'm firmly and unapologetically in the optical viewfinder camp, and don't have the same enjoyment with the EVF on my Sony. Sure there's advantages to mirrorless which is why I have one, but there's a disconnect between my subject and me that gets in the way of my satisfaction with them. For that reason the Liveview on my Pentax cameras, whether the K1's or K3III, has been used no more than a handful of times, maybe fewer than 2 dozen or thereabouts, in the years I've owned them.

I'm with 'ya.

12-09-2023, 08:48 AM - 3 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been using EVFs mostly since I parted with my original K1iat the end of 2016, having bought into the marketing BS surrounding mirrorless. I have had some very fine cameras since then but I have never felt the same connection with my subjects, although the end result pictures have been perfectly fine. My recently acquired K1ii and 28-105 already feel familiar. Getting used not seeing a rendering of the final image in the viewfinder is an adjustment but worth it, to me at least.
12-09-2023, 08:59 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I believe it is inappropriate to suggest that different equipment is needed for this type of photography.

Focus and recompose introduces a small focusing error (which is why some cameras, e.g., from Hasselblad) account for it, but unless you are shooting at f/1.4 at close distances, you should be fine. Using the centre AF point (spot AF mode) works very well for my portraiture work. If the subject's head does not move a lot, I don't even get focus for each shot, but only now and then.

FWIW, the outer AF points can be rather imprecise. First, they in principle cannot see precise focus better than a f/5.6 lens (everything within the DOF of a f/5.6 lens will look "sharp" to them, that's a simplification but in principle true), whereas the centre AF points have a f/2.8 AF base. Second, it is not uncommon for the AF sensor to not be 100% parallel to the image plane. If you do your lens AF microadjustments with the centre AF point, chances are that some of the outer AF points won't be spot on.
What you are suggesting is a workaround for something the equipment isn't able to accomplish, which the OP has already indicated he would rather not do.
It's not inappropriate to want equipment better suited to a particular task or to recommend equipment that will make the process more seamless or pleasurable.