Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2024, 03:28 PM   #1

SD Card Recommendation

Need to replace some SD cards. Prefer Lexar, but what's everyone using with good results? Speed????

04-02-2024, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use SanDisk with good results - but make sure you buy from a reputable dealer (I think B&H and Adorama qualify, not so sure about Amazon). There are a lot of fakes out there.
04-02-2024, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sandisk or Lexar , the last ones I bought in October were Lexar 64GB Professional 1800x UHS-II SDXC (GOLD Series), because there was a good price at B&H. I prefer Sandisk but the Lexar have been fine. Just buy from a reputable source like Adorama, B&H, or Amazon (as long as it is sold by Amazon and not a third party). You may want to check the speeds your specific camera can use. You can use faster cards than you need, but donít get cards so slow the big you down.
04-02-2024, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I used Sandisk SD cards exclusively for many years but wouldnít touch them now after the problems with their SSDís that they fail to acknowledge. Iím using Lexar now.

04-02-2024, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using Sandisk or Lexar cards (3 in total) with my K5. I took advantage of a recent sale to try a Kingston card for my K1 and only have a few days of experience with it. For the most part, any decent card you buy today will be fast enough for the camera (although if you are shooting video as well you may need to check this). Where I find the speed matters more is in pulling the images off the card. My slower Sandisk/Lexar cards can be painfully slow and they are only 16GB in size.

This article is a little dated, but the basic guidance is useful. In particular it shows the gap between read and write speeds, which for the Sandisk Ultra would start to impact the camera's ability to clear its buffer.
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
04-02-2024, 06:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
Need to replace some SD cards. Prefer Lexar, but what's everyone using with good results? Speed????
I switched from Sandsk to Lexar and never looked back...
04-02-2024, 08:03 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are two Lexar cards in the K1mii that I have never come close to filling, a 512GB that came with the camera when I bought it, and a 128 GB in slot 2 that I bought from the local camera shop. I seldom take them out of the camera, using a cable to download them to the computer. Had a SanDisk 64 GB go bad on me early in my digital experience, fortunately had a spare with me. Only occasionally have trouble with the write speed.

04-02-2024, 08:29 PM   #8
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjonesace Quote
There are two Lexar cards in the K1mii that I have never come close to filling, a 512GB that came with the camera when I bought it, and a 128 GB in slot 2 that I bought from the local camera shop. I seldom take them out of the camera, using a cable to download them to the computer. Had a SanDisk 64 GB go bad on me early in my digital experience, fortunately had a spare with me. Only occasionally have trouble with the write speed.
Both the K1 and K1mkii use USB 2.0. How long does it take you to transfer images if you are doing a large batch or is this something you just live with if you don't transfer much or often?
04-02-2024, 08:38 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It depends on the camera you are using. There's no point paying more for a card that has faster write speed than the camera is capable of. Yes, it might be future proof if you later get a camera with a faster speed, but unless that is imminent, it's better to upgrade the cards if and when you get the new camera. Today's fast cards will be more affordable then.

I have used different brands. Samsung (Korea) and Kingston (Taiwan) cards are good value. I use a couple of Kingston Canvas React Plus cards for slot #1 in my K-3iii. They are fast enough (claimed 300mb/s read; 260mb/s write) for the camera and no problem so far. I only use slot #2 as a spillover backup so use older cards for that.

Personally I prefer to have a couple of smaller capacity cards than one big one - if one fails, you still have the other. Even 32gb is plenty for me.
04-02-2024, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I generally use the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards. They have been very reliable, I use the extra speed for copying the images off the cards, it doesn't really speed up the camera at all.
04-02-2024, 09:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Both the K1 and K1mkii use USB 2.0. How long does it take you to transfer images if you are doing a large batch or is this something you just live with if you don't transfer much or often?
The largest batch I have done was something close to 1600 RAW images from an airshow last August. Transfer time was under 30 minutes with the cable. Did a batch of Pixel shift images last September, something less than sixty images, that took nearly as long. Wife borrowed the cable for something earlier this year, and I had to stick the card in the reader on the computer. I did not notice that was significantly faster.

Typical "work" flow for me is to dump the card(s) after each day of shooting. If we are on a road trip, I may not post process the images, but they are off the camera.
04-02-2024, 10:20 PM   #12

My main 'slot 1' / primary card is the Sony Tough type M. They really are better built. The "M" cards write in the camera at UHSi speeds, which is all the camera can use, but download at UHSii speeds, which makes my laptop very happy. And they don't carry nearly the price premium that the type "G" cards command. (UHS-II for read and write).

I still use SanDisk Extreme Pro cards when I need bulk storage; I've had mixed experiences with Lexar and their spinoff Prograde. These things can happen with anything, and with me, they've only happened with them.
04-03-2024, 01:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Just buy from a reputable source like .... Amazon (as long as it is sold by Amazon and not a third party)
Or was that a typo?
04-03-2024, 05:01 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rjonesace Quote
In studio my preference is to tether, easier and you have the benefit of previewing on a larger screen, however there are limitations with burst speed. I've used the cable to transfer from the card but it seems a little clunky. What do you do about card maintenance (deletions), do you reformat the cards after downloading?

---------- Post added 04-03-24 at 05:04 AM ----------

Is it worth the price difference for the Lexar 2000 vs the 1800 or 800?
04-03-2024, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There used to be (and maybe still is but I could not find it) a website that compared SD cards for cameras. I did find another site that offered camera specific test results, but they only tested the K-3 II: Pentax K-3 II SD Card Write Speed Comparison of Fastest Memory Cards for the Pentax K3 II Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards.

---------- Post added 04-03-24 at 09:40 AM ----------

On second looking, that may be the same site because they've been around since 2014. If so, it just looks very different . . . and that's not surprising.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 04-03-2024 at 06:38 AM. Reason: forgot the II