Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which D-BG6 button layout do you prefer?
Option A 1724.29%
Option B 2028.57%
Another option not shown 1014.29%
I don't care (but use battery grips) 1318.57%
I don't care (because I don't use battery grips) 1014.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 05:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K-1 Battery Grip D-BG6: Which Layout?

Which button layout for the new D-BG6 battery grip for the K-1 do you prefer?

The two options below (A & B) show the K-1's button layout to the left and the grip's button layout to the right (with the grip being rotated as you'd handle it when the camera is in portrait orientation). Bear in mind that your thumb will be on the rear wheel per default and that it is beneficial to use one's muscle memory to find buttons.

Option A
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:  Pentax-D-BG6-1.png
Views: 2068
Size:  250.8 KB

Option B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:  Pentax-D-BG6-2.png
Views: 2067
Size:  250.7 KB

02-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's done. Why sweat it?

Maybe at some stage they will allow button customization in the firmware.
02-17-2016, 06:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Comparing with the front image of the camera with battery grip, it looks like the thumb wheel on the battery grip is positioned higher up and further to the right than on the camera, so it might be hard to decide before using the camera which layout works best.

I would have preferred if both camera and battery grip where designed the same, but then the battery grip would end up bigger.
02-17-2016, 06:16 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The grip should mimic the camera so that I don't have to think about it. I don't care if that makes it marginally larger.

02-17-2016, 06:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don’t care, use. It’s just a learning curve. For example, my k20d to k5 jump was like couple mouth before i learned to hit review button in other placement.
02-17-2016, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Don’t care, use. It’s just a learning curve. For example, my k20d to k5 jump was like couple mouth before i learned to hit review button in other placement.
Moving from one camera to another is one thing.

Switching between button layouts within a matter of seconds while rotating the camera from landscape to portrait and back again in a dynamic shooting situation, represents a different scenario, does it not?

Of course it is possible that you have trained yourself to use the K20D and the K-5 in one shoot, switching back and forth between them, but even then -- when switching takes longer and one deals with two entirely different cameras -- wouldn't it preferable if both cameras presented the identical controls to you?
02-17-2016, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Moving from one camera to another is one thing.

Switching between button layouts within a matter of seconds while rotating the camera from landscape to portrait and back again in a dynamic shooting situation, represents a different scenario, does it not?

Of course it is possible that you have trained yourself to use the K20D and the K-5 in one shoot, switching back and forth between them, but even then -- when switching takes longer and one deals with two entirely different cameras -- wouldn't it preferable if both cameras presented the identical controls to you?
it’s not so hard to trained your brain to remember that in landscape buttons are in one place in portrait in another.

02-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Duh, stupid phone, I meant option A instead of B. Its easier to use the AF button on the side in Portrait mode. The camera is higher up and has a different weight distribution so your muscles will pick it up quite easily,
02-17-2016, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it’s not so hard to trained your brain to remember that in landscape buttons are in one place in portrait in another.
I'm not likely to get two K-1s, but if I get one with a grip and use it alongside my K-3 with a grip and go shoot an event, I suddenly have four different button layouts to deal with. That's an invitation to errors and delays in getting the shot. I've been there with the K-3 and K-5. It's not fun.
02-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm not likely to get two K-1s, but if I get one with a grip and use it alongside my K-3 with a grip and go shoot an event, I suddenly have four different button layouts to deal with. That's an invitation to errors and delays in getting the shot. I've been there with the K-3 and K-5. It's not fun.
oook, now i see the problem, two cameras at once. but who am i to critic your workflow.
02-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm not getting the K-1 or BG so I don't care...
02-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think the second one definitely, cause I use BBF all the time.
02-17-2016, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #13

Another option not shown for me: I want the vertical grip buttons to have identical placements as the body. Meaning AF button and AE-L buttons to the right of the wheel and the green button below.

This is something I wish the K-3 had but hoping the K-1 was thought out more "professionally" (I'm seeing this word come up more often these days).
02-17-2016, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Nikon D4s that I work with has the AF-on button in exactly the same place in portrait or landscape orientation*: it makes sense.

Asymmetry in the control scheme with critical functions nearly always causes problems. Truth be told: people can adjust, it is simply a matter of time and practice.

* it was moved there due to complaints from D3s users. On the D3s the AF-ON button was placed to the left on the rear control dial on the camera body, but in portrait orientation: the AF-ON button was placed above the control wheel, which made it easy to accidentally change exposure settings. The pentax K10D has an AE-L button that fits right under the thumb on both the body and on the grip, the green button are both in the same place, on the left just behind the shutter. The EV compensation on the K10 grip was placed in a weird spot though.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-17-2016 at 09:26 AM.
02-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
npc
Veteran Member

I would actually prefer to have the buttons on the body like they are displayed on the grip in option A.
Meaning AE-L right next to the dial (like on K5IIs) and AF where the green button is. That's the most convinient place for me for such important button ( AF ) since it is right under where my thumb naturally sits when I am holding the camera.
Then I don't really care where the green button goes but like it is shown (in place of the "play" button) seems more useful.
I've alywas been wondering why did they place the green button exactly on the most convinient place and did not at least make its function customizable.