Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Poor advices! They forgot the most important: warm clothes. They also forgot other things like that K-1 don't need a specific wireless remote. The Wifi and Android-app does the job "for free" (assuming you have both devices already). They also forget to mention that Northern lights are out of season now. I expect it back sometime in September at earliest.

But the camera is a very good choice. The lens and tripod probably do well, but depending on personal preferences, I would go even wider. Personally I hope the Sigma 20mm f/1,4 comes to K mount.
you may have missed the point. A Pentax camera got mentioned, in fact recommended, in a favorable way on a brand neutral photography website, listed first even. Who cares that they created a "package" to include other accessories to go with it?

04-23-2016, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #137

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
14 minutes video from Taiwan in Chinese with English subtitles ????????? PENTAX K-I ??????????????????????????????
I just loved this video! What funny and enthusiastic guys the presenters were, and the images they produced were striking and informative. Thank you for posting this.
04-23-2016, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, good video. They also did others Videos about K-1.

This one is an introduction, presenting the features of the camera, an impressive skyscape at ISO12800, and a little history of Pentax firsts. First part, 16 minutes

????????????????PENTAX K-1 ????????????????????????

''K-1 IS THE HUSBAND OF THE PENTAX THREE PRINCESS''. Part two, answers to viewers.11 minutes.

???????Q&A-PENTAX K-1??????-??K-1??????????????????????

K-1, covered in mud, and washed in the sink. From France

??K-1???????????????????????????????
04-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #139
Unregistered User

Don't know if this one is in the thread already but the visualisation of the SR was informative.

04-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #140
Veteran Member

oh is this camera sexy
great video, mate!
I love the shot on 12K ISO... has a unique feeling of film grain to it.
04-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Don't know if this one is in the thread already but the visualisation of the SR was informative.
The visualization of the SR mechanism in this promotional video is not informative, it is misleading. The sensor does not tilt in order to compensate rotational movements of the camera.

The sensor only ever shifts laterally and rolls around the lens axis.
04-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #142
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The visualization of the SR mechanism in this promotional video is not informative, it is misleading. The sensor does not tilt in order to compensate rotational movements of the camera.

The sensor only ever shifts laterally and rolls around the lens axis.
Ok. And you base your statement on?

04-26-2016, 12:31 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Ok. And you base your statement on?
  1. It is pretty much general knowledge that rotational shake is counteracted by shifting the sensor (not tilting it).
  2. Illustrations and real-world images of the SR mechanism show that (a) there is no room for tilting the sensor, and (b) the location and arrangement of coils only support shifting (and roll) but not tilting.
  3. A sensor tilt would achieve a tilt effect, i.e., tilt the plane of focus like a tilt/shift lens does. That would be (a) undesired and (b) do nothing to compensate the rotational movement.
04-26-2016, 12:45 AM   #144
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
  1. It is pretty much general knowledge that rotational shake is counteracted by shifting the sensor (not tilting it).
  2. Illustrations and real-world images of the SR mechanism show that (a) there is no room for tilting the sensor, and (b) the coils only support shifting (and roll) but not tilting.
  3. A sensor tilt would achieve a tilt effect, i.e., tilt the plane of focus like a tilt/shift lens does. That would be (a) undesired and (b) do nothing to compensate the rotational movement.
Since I am trying to understand how the 5 axis work I have searched for some illustrations on how it actually works so this general knowledge you refer to I do not have.

I was hoping that you, in you respons, would have directed me to some links where I could learn more on the specifics.

If the sensor would tilt it would be like if you tilted the back standard of a large format camera and that alone would be undesired.

If your shake tilts the camera upwards I would think that the counter measure would be to tilt the sensor in the opposite direction at the same time that you shift it to keep it on the optical axies.
04-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #145
Pentaxian

The optical axis of the lens is moving together with the camera - unless you have one of those Sony cameras with wobbly mounts
No, the sensor doesn't tilt at all respective to the camera. As Class A said, it's moving in a strictly defined plane - and that's enough to compensate for the "5 axis" movements.

However, marketing (probably) found out that an accurate depiction with small movements and sensor moving together with the camera doesn't quite get the message across - while the inaccurate "fixed in space" sensor does.
04-26-2016, 01:06 AM   #146
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The optical axis of the lens is moving together with the camera - unless you have one of those Sony cameras with wobbly mounts
No, the sensor doesn't tilt at all respective to the camera. As Class A said, it's moving in a strictly defined plane - and that's enough to compensate for the "5 axis" movements.

However, marketing (probably) found out that an accurate depiction with small movements and sensor moving together with the camera doesn't quite get the message across - while the inaccurate "fixed in space" sensor does.
Well, I think I get the idea. No tilting even though I would have like that as a feature together with a tilt/shift lens, for use as a large format camera.

The movements of the sensor are very small so tilt would not be necessary for compensating the smal movement of the focus plane I guess.

Well, it looked nice on the video
04-26-2016, 02:01 AM   #147
Pentaxian

That's my understanding as well.
Hmm... replicating view camera movements might be a difficult task; the front and rear standards can move a lot:
Large Format Techniques
04-26-2016, 02:10 AM   #148
Veteran Member

hmmm I thought the rotational movement is what the 5th axis is all about.
At least it is what I got from that illustration.
04-26-2016, 02:41 AM   #149
Pentaxian

Not quite.
1 and 2 are the classic movements compensated for both optical and first versions of in-body stabilization
3 is the rotation, which the SR compensates for (but optical stabilization can't). Other in-body stabilization systems couldn't do it, AFAIK the first Minolta-designed systems had sensors moving on rails and thus they couldn't rotate.
4 and 5 are translation movements, and what was left out of the "3-axis" SR systems.

As I said, all these types of movements are compensated for by moving the sensor in a specific plane.
04-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #150

Photos: Albums
Behind the Design of the K-1:

How Pentax made the DSLR of the future in a mirrorless camera world | TechRadar