Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 03:32 AM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://bokeh.digitalrev.com/article/pentax-k1-hands-on-first-impressions?utm...m_campaign=edm

seems overly critical about things other people haven't found to criticise (not mention ignoring a lot of stuff) - maybe they are Sony fans afterall :

Last edited by ffking; 04-29-2016 at 03:44 AM.
04-29-2016, 04:10 AM   #167
Pentaxian

As expected, they're bashing Pentax for not being (insert mirrorless brand here). Yawn.
04-29-2016, 04:22 AM   #168
Unregistered User

I second that... As expected
04-29-2016, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I like Digital Reviews comment about the C/N roundness versus Pentax more edgy design and had to look at comparison images again.

If I may explain it like human bodies, the Pentax looks smaller, but with muscular and defined shapes, while C/N have a chubby roundness to them. I really like how Pentax styled it.

04-29-2016, 05:35 AM   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
seems overly critical about things other people haven't found to criticise (not mention ignoring a lot of stuff) - maybe they are Sony fans afterall :
They are clowns.

Once I realised that I started to enjoy their youtube nonsense.
It is not more than entertainment, though.
In terms of learning about gear, one needs to look elsewhere.
04-29-2016, 06:12 AM   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyway, they used the worlds ''impressive camera'', which is quiet ... impressive, coming from them.
04-29-2016, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #172

Pentax K-1 Expert Review

on ePhotozine site:

Posted : 29 Apr 2016 1:58PM

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-k-1-expert-review-28884

04-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #173

I do not have yet a sophisticated digital camera, such as the K-1, and am inexperienced with many associated functions.

I therefore have a novice's question, as follows:

I am daunted by the enormous file sizes that may be obtained from the K-1. Can I reduce the file size "in camera", to reduce storage limits on the camera itself and on my computer?

It seems from the User Manual that you can reduce the "image size" for JPEG files, but I am not sure whether that action results in "cropping" the image or, alternatively, averaging pixel values.

Thanks for any guidance!
04-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #174
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
I do not have yet a sophisticated digital camera, such as the K-1, and am inexperienced with many associated functions.

I therefore have a novice's question, as follows:

I am daunted by the enormous file sizes that may be obtained from the K-1. Can I reduce the file size "in camera", to reduce storage limits on the camera itself and on my computer?

It seems from the User Manual that you can reduce the "image size" for JPEG files, but I am not sure whether that action results in "cropping" the image or, alternatively, averaging pixel values.

Thanks for any guidance!
You should be able to set a lower capture resolution - I think the camera resamples to the selected size.

That said, might make more sense to work with a full sized file until you get a result you're happy with, then save a smaller copy and delete the original.
04-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #175
Veteran Member

From digitalrev article :
"While the pentaprism harks back to the golden age of Pentax and makes no difference to the feel of the camera, the grip did feel a little too shallow in my hands, due to the thick camera body. It's not for the light-hearted, and weighs in at 1010g, which is marginally heavier than the D810 at 980g, and quite a bit chunkier than the 5D Mark III at only 860g."

This guy is smoking something. I was just admiring the depth of the grip yesterday compared to my D800E, which was shallower. Pentax fits like a glove, I should put a ruler to this and compare it. I also have a 5D mark 3 sitting around, i should test that too.
04-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #176

QuoteOriginally posted by kvetcha Quote
You should be able to set a lower capture resolution - I think the camera resamples to the selected size.

That said, might make more sense to work with a full sized file until you get a result you're happy with, then save a smaller copy and delete the original.
Many thanks!
04-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #177
Veteran Member

Also something to consider is that hard drives are getting cheaper and cheaper. For just over $100 you can find 4 TB drives, or you could buy 2 x 2TB drives and have one as a redundant backup of the first drive. Or buy 2 x 4TB drives ect ect.
04-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #178

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Also something to consider is that hard drives are getting cheaper and cheaper. For just over $100 you can find 4 TB drives, or you could buy 2 x 2TB drives and have one as a redundant backup of the first drive. Or buy 2 x 4TB drives ect ect.
Thanks Dr_who,
You are probably right, although I am, instinctively, from the "less is more" school.

For example, my one and only digital camera is 10 years old and has a 5MB pixel sensor........

Two of the key attractions of the K-1 for me have nothing to do with sensor size.
First, I have Pentax film cameras ans Pentax-M lenses, the latter being useable on K-1.
Second, the optical viewfinder is a key "pull" factor for me. I hate staring at camera backs, held at arm's length.
04-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #179
Veteran Member

Thanks Dr_who,
You are probably right, although I am, instinctively, from the "less is more" school.

For example, my one and only digital camera is 10 years old and has a 5MB pixel sensor........

Two of the key attractions of the K-1 for me have nothing to do with sensor size.
First, I have Pentax film cameras ans Pentax-M lenses, the latter being useable on K-1.
Second, the optical viewfinder is a key "pull" factor for me. I hate staring at camera backs, held at arm's length.
True, of course if you use a 36MP or a 10MP or a cell phone it doesn't hurt to have a back up system of all your photos
04-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #180

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
True, of course if you use a 36MP or a 10MP or a cell phone it doesn't hurt to have a back up system of all your photos
Yes, my photos ARE backed up completely, in several places. My main point is that I don't want big file sizes, and not just because of storeage limitations. Big files also mean slower processing and data transport.