Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2016, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Probably, some people think that every reviewer in the world must praise every single aspect of the ''Holy K-1''. No humor, no negative point is accepted, even when is true.

Come on people, with reactions like this, in the future no reviewer will touch a Pentax product, because of the Pentax supporters. And who will lose? Ricoh - Pentax first, and after this us, the Pentaxians, because future products will be very little known outside of the small group of Pentax users, and the sales will drop. This is what you want?
That's an interesting perspective…. but completely divorced from any aspect of reality that I can think of.
It's a fantasy world you'v created there, the question is "Why?".

No one here minds fair criticism. Of you read carefully, 99% of the posts are about the reviewer not knowing what he/she is taking about. If reviewers start being embarrassed to write negative nonsense that doesn't make any sense about Pentax, that's a good thing. If what they write is accurate no one cares.

Slow frame rate, yawn, slow AF , snoore, we know Pentax cameras. It's a tough crowd. Reviewers making up stuff doesn't help anyone.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2016 at 07:14 AM.
06-12-2016, 07:53 AM - 2 Likes   #272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's an interesting perspective…. but completely divorced from any aspect of reality that I can think of.
It's a fantasy world you'v created there, the question is "Why?"..
Completely divorced from reality?

First of all, every person has his own expectations about a camera. And I can give you at least one example. In his review of K-1, Adam points as a negative ''low Jpeg quality''. Immediately, an angry member has responded that the quality of Jpeg is very good. So, there is no valid or invalid point of view, only personal perceptions. And this is only one example. If I would have time for this, I could number tens of angry reactions from Pentax members to divers reviews published here and there about K-1.

You are asking why. It is better, IMO, to have a lot of reviews, even not totally positive for Pentax, than to be ignored by most of reviewers, like was the situation some time ago. And to be angry about someone review, to respond by attacking the autor is counter productive. Now, I don't remember who, but someone has posted his reservation about publishing a review because of Pentax supporters reactions.

But I think that I have explained my position about this very well in previous two posts here. More, to say that you or anybody disagree with one review is one thing, To begin to say that a reviewer is ''so and so'', because he didn't pay enough attention to a camera, or he has expressed some negative points, is a totally different thing.

I saw this happening to Ed, from Photouniverse in the past, to Tony Northrup,, and Kay, and these are the only ones I can remember now. Do we really need enemies?

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 06-12-2016 at 08:01 AM.
06-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #273
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Do we really need enemies?
No, we certainly don't need enemies when we have friends like Kai.
06-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #274
Pentaxian

Or Pentaxians who has glorified Sony A7 for a lot of time, ...

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 06-12-2016 at 12:07 PM.
06-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #275
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think most of us, myself included accept fair reviews, including their criticisms. That is what we want.
I personally don't mind a fair review peppered with comedy and bufoonery.
What I don't want is an unfair review. Kai's review was an unfair review because he left out a lot of info about the K-1, handheld other aspects in a half-assed manor, and overall seemed like he hadn't spent any requisite time with the camera before reviewing it. I don't care if he does dumb stuff for laughs. People watch his show to be entertained. I just don't like when he doesn't give my camera a fair shake.

06-12-2016, 12:22 PM - 3 Likes   #276
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I think most of us, myself included accept fair reviews, including their criticisms. That is what we want.
I personally don't mind a fair review peppered with comedy and bufoonery.
What I don't want is an unfair review. Kai's review was an unfair review because he left out a lot of info about the K-1, handheld other aspects in a half-assed manor, and overall seemed like he hadn't spent any requisite time with the camera before reviewing it. I don't care if he does dumb stuff for laughs. People watch his show to be entertained. I just don't like when he doesn't give my camera a fair shake.
Haha and how long exactly do you think he had the camera for, a week, 2 weeks? They most likely gave it to him for 3 days, of which he would have been extremely busy in the business.

He found some things that mattered to him as a user, made a plan for a review and made the review.

You guys are a tough bunch to please. Kai reached many users with this review, more than Adam did with his and Kai gave it the thumbs up.

I would love to see all the complainers here do a full video review on their own YouTube pages .........
06-12-2016, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #277
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Haha and how long exactly do you think he had the camera for, a week, 2 weeks? They most likely gave it to him for 3 days, of which he would have been extremely busy in the business.

He found some things that mattered to him as a user, made a plan for a review and made the review.

You guys are a tough bunch to please. Kai reached many users with this review, more than Adam did with his and Kai gave it the thumbs up.

I would love to see all the complainers here do a full video review on their own YouTube pages .........
I don't care how long he had the camera or if he's busy. He reviewed the camera as if he was unaccustomed to it and knew little about it. There are features the K-1 has that other brands do not have that he didn't touch on. He spent about 3 seconds on Pixel Shift, and his explanation didn't make a lot of sense. He made claims about the camera without showing any evidence of why what he was saying is true.
I don't buy "if you're gonna complain, why don't you go do it yourself" arguments. I'm not a reviewer, he is.
If wanting a fair review means hard to please, than I guess I'm hard to please. Wanting him do do a decent review is not asking a lot.
06-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #278
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I don't buy "if you're gonna complain, why don't you go do it yourself" arguments.
Me either. Just because I'm not a surgeon, doesn't mean I can't complain if one cuts off the wrong leg.

06-12-2016, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #279

I thought Kai's review was more or less what I would expect from DRTV. They're the Top Gear of photography review. They spend more time making fun of themselves and the products they review than offering thoughtful experience with the gear. I'm fine with that. It's entertaining. Kai is hilarious. I can't complain about it at all.

If you want a serious, feature-rich review that goes over image quality, bells and whistles, and overall ergonomics, read DPReview. That's what it's for.

DRTV is more interested in painting Nikon cameras pink, making star photogs shoot with shitty cameras, and dildo jokes.

What I got from the review:
  • It's heavy.
  • The top two-knob function system is stupid.
  • Finally gives Pentax users a full-frame body to mount Limited lenses onto.
  • Image quality places the K-1 in the D810/5DR family of cameras.
  • Pixel-Shift Resolution is kind of neat, but might not result in dramatic resolution increases [ed: at least not when using an old film-era Limited lens that probably doesn't have enough resolution to benefit from pixel-shift resolution]

I, personally, can't disagree with any of those points.
06-12-2016, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by funkathustra Quote
Pixel-Shift Resolution is kind of neat, but might not result in dramatic resolution increases [ed: at least not when using an old film-era Limited lens that probably doesn't have enough resolution to benefit from pixel-shift resolution]
Ya, I;d disagree with that one.
It's heavy.
QuoteQuote:
It's heavy.
Compared to what?

QuoteQuote:
The top two-knob function system is stupid.
Indicating personal preference in a review means you have to accept the reviewer's perception as some kind of gospel. He could have said it might or might not be to everyone's liking.

So, my rating of that synopsis is 2.5 out of 5.
06-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #281
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Compared to what?
The K-01...
06-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #282
Pentaxian

Nikon D810 980 grams
K-1 1010 grams
Canon 5Ds- 845 grams

Call it heavy if you want to complain about 165 grams or 30 grams, but it's not my fault if my first reaction is to suspect you're a wuss.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2016 at 06:56 PM.
06-12-2016, 07:06 PM - 2 Likes   #283
Pentaxian

I, personally, can't disagree with any of those points.
Apparently you do not own a K-1, so perhaps you should abstain from agreeing until you have been able to form your own opinion.

It's heavy.
He also said it is "fat", even though it is one of the most compact FF cameras available.

The sumo outfit interlude was funny but completely beside the point.

The top two-knob function system is stupid.
Well, it isn't.

At the very least, you get a third dial for ISO or exposure compensation. The rest is just a bonus and it is embarrassing to complain about it being confusing.

Pixel-Shift Resolution is kind of neat, but might not result in dramatic resolution increases [ed: at least not when using an old film-era Limited lens that probably doesn't have enough resolution to benefit from pixel-shift resolution]
He was wrong on Pixel Shift on several counts:
  • It is not a system that takes red, green, and blue images in succession.
  • It does increase (colour) resolution.
  • It will outperform a Sony A7R II in a proper comparison.
BTW, he never demonstrates that the rear screen tilts up vertically to allow waist-level shooting, among other things. Why not?
I could go on and on, but I don't want to spend more time on writing these posts than Kai spent reading about the K-1.

P.S.: The FA Limiteds will outresolve the next generation of sensors and the one after that.
06-13-2016, 06:55 AM   #284
Loyal Site Supporter

The comments for the DigitalRev review include contributions by Kenspo and Fleur of Richandfleur.

Kenspo responds to someone talking about a lack of glass by saying he has eleven lenses and wants to know what he's missing.

Fleur tells a guy who says he is now used to EVFs and is now uncertain about how to go back to an OVF to 'look through it'.

Forcing Youtube commenters to identify themselves hasn't lifted the quality of discussion as I'd hoped.

One was simply: "S.. camera, s.. review, s.. reviewer, s.. channel". ☺

Like DPR threads, I always begin reading them with fingers crossed they may have gotten better. My bad.
06-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #285
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

From Melbourne-based reviewer Terry Lane:
[REVIEW?PENTAX K-1 DSLR] | dpexpert