Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #16
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,901
It's funny, as much as it looks a bit weird, I'm sure the rear screen will be fine. Obviously don't slam it into things and I'm sure it'll do well.

02-17-2016, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #17
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
Posts: 20
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
36mp as expected, but a list price of only $1799? that's awesome.

only 33 focus points, but dual card slots and pixel shift.

"our initial impressions of shooting with one older 50mm Pentax prime aren't wholly encouraging." oh geez! idiot alert.
I think you're over-reacting. The comment about the 50mm prime was a single sentence, unelaborated, in an otherwise very favorable first look at the K1. DPReview liked its size, its, handling, the layout of the controls, and the price/quality ratio.
02-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #18
Senior Member
CRPhoto's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 254
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I won't click on the link because it's DPReview. But from what I understand they put a 40 year old kit lens on it and were disappointed.
They did indicate that they understood that it was an old and not-so-good lens but just wanted to show that a 36mp camera will bring out the worst on any lens not up to the task. They really didn't make a big deal out of it.
I also felt the review was mostly positive.
02-17-2016, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #19
osv
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,080
QuoteOriginally posted by Virginia Bill Quote
I think you're over-reacting. The comment about the 50mm prime was a single sentence, unelaborated, in an otherwise very favorable first look at the K1. DPReview liked its size, its, handling, the layout of the controls, and the price/quality ratio.
you missed the point... of course a slow lens that's decades old isn't going to be optimal, everyone knows that, so why did they make an ignorant comment about its pq in the review? it was a cheap shot at the k-1.

by comparison, did they put an ancient nikon 50/2 lens in the d800 first look? and mention how much it sucked on 36mp? i'm gonna guess no

dpr can be such a fail, for example, the forums are overrun with sock puppets trolling multiple fake ids, that seldom get banned: Please put a stop to this character: Site Feedback and Help Forum: Digital Photography Review

i thought that adam wrote an overall better intro to the k-1 than dpr did.

has any article mentioned what the efcs capability of the k-1 is?

02-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #20
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norwich, Ct
Posts: 95
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So far no-one - anywhere - has commented on the shutter sound. I am curious as to whether the K-1 shutter as quiet as the K-5/K-3?

I really hope it is, despite having a bigger shutter and mirror.
there is a you tube vid that they did the shutter actuation with the microphone near the camera...not crazy loud...
02-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,011
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
dpr can be such a fail, for example, the forums are overrun with sock puppets trolling multiple fake ids, that seldom get banned: Please put a stop to this character: Site Feedback and Help Forum: Digital Photography Review
At least here at PF the squirrels are real. We can see them......all too often, really.

DPR is what Otis calls an "Evil Empire", and though they love to beat up on Pentax, my fear is that we will soon have posters beating up on the K1 worse than anything DPR ever dreamed of. I hope I am wrong, but if history is any lesson, it's coming soon.

I think I'm just going to buy a K1, give it to Otis and turn him loose on the negative posters. Cruel as that may be, like those Jumpers he despises, they will deserve it.

Regards!
02-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,433
Even when they try to be fair, like in this case they are, DPR can't resist (or isn't aware they're making) subtle little digs. They just have to imply, 'Nice camera - for them. But we cool cool kiddies know where the really good stuff is.'
02-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #23
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 211
I received the news this morning via a news reader pop-up on my phone, nothing really excited and something I guessed right, the 36M sensor yes !! high resolution alone is nothing and 40Meg+ is too much and costly to produce... one thing I really disappointed, or it must be a typo on DPR, the USB 2.0 interface, the K3 got a USB 3.0 !! if it is USB 3.0 it better be a USB-C and doubles as charge adapter. The overall body design of the K1 follows the Pentax tradition except the ugly (sorry !) articulated LCD, I really don't like that, it makes the already clumsy (sorry again !) body looked more fat and dumb (sorry again !), although it is still small compared with Canikon, IMHO K3 is the best looking DSLR Pentax ever produced. I also disappointed about missing in body vertical trigger (Nikon D4 etc..), why it must come with the battery grip, I would prefer my K3 grip molded to the body in one piece.

In the lens department, I am glad to see the addition of the affordable 28-105, I got the 16-50 with my K3, it is very sharp but frankly I find it not very useful, the wide end is good for everyday use but the long end hardly enough for portrait, I would carry couple primes instead if I want the best image quality, and I hope for an affordable telezoom like the 70-300/5.6 as well. I shoot 35mm film before I turn to digital, so a FF digital is the way to go naturally, I will no doubt upgrade to FF when I've the fund, but the K1 may not for me.

02-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #24
Senior Member
Bromberger's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 122
QuoteOriginally posted by cpobuttons Quote
there is a you tube vid that they did the shutter actuation with the microphone near the camera...not crazy loud...
It is not possible to judge the volume on a recording.
what you can judge is the character of the sound.
02-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #25
Pentaxian
redrockcoulee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 2,135
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
you missed the point... of course a slow lens that's decades old isn't going to be optimal, everyone knows that, so why did they make an ignorant comment about its pq in the review? it was a cheap shot at the k-1.

by comparison, did they put an ancient nikon 50/2 lens in the d800 first look? and mention how much it sucked on 36mp? i'm gonna guess no

dpr can be such a fail, for example, the forums are overrun with sock puppets trolling multiple fake ids, that seldom get banned: Please put a stop to this character: Site Feedback and Help Forum: Digital Photography Review

i thought that adam wrote an overall better intro to the k-1 than dpr did.

has any article mentioned what the efcs capability of the k-1 is?
They did mention that the 50 f2 was used as it was the only old Pentax lens they had and they knew it was a poor lens but just wanted to see what it looked like on and to use. Not sure it that comment was in the article or in a response to a reader's comment.
02-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,022
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

I think I'm just going to buy a K1, give it to Otis and turn him loose on the negative posters. Cruel as that may be, like those Jumpers he despises, they will deserve it.
Tell Otis he better strap up, since Osv is very much a jumper and negative poster, Rupert! 😀
02-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: outer eastern melbourne, australia
Posts: 359
I think the "older 50mm lens" bit is a non event. The context is that they are referencing how many legacy lenses can now be used, but dont expect stellar results from all of them. Thats not dissing the camera. I see plenty of reviews that emphasise that you need top glass on the D800 series, for instance.

What im really looking forward too are sample images emerging from the FA prime lenses.
02-18-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 878
So now the only important question that remains is this one:

Will Ken Rockwell approve?
02-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #29
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,481
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Will Ken Rockwell approve?
If it said Apple on the back and iPhone on the front he would...
02-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #30
Senior Member
Ron_Man's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 221
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
So now the only important question that remains is this one:

Will Ken Rockwell approve?
His K-3 and 50mm 1.8 reviews were rather positive though!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
color, corners, dslr, film, focus, full frame, full-frame, glass, image circle, impressions, k-1, k1, lens, lenses, pentax k-1, pf, pic, review, slide
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very first impressions of the K-S2 paulvzo Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 6 01-16-2016 10:10 AM
First impressions of the K-01 Scorpio71GR Pentax K-01 12 04-23-2015 03:58 PM
My first impressions of my new K-50 Dewman Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 11-01-2014 05:22 AM
K-30 first impressions of a K-x user mee Pentax K-30 & K-50 10 03-02-2013 05:00 PM
First impressions of K-r from a K-x owner devorama Pentax K-r 28 03-30-2011 08:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top