Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's funny, as much as it looks a bit weird, I'm sure the rear screen will be fine. Obviously don't slam it into things and I'm sure it'll do well.

02-17-2016, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
36mp as expected, but a list price of only $1799? that's awesome.

only 33 focus points, but dual card slots and pixel shift.

"our initial impressions of shooting with one older 50mm Pentax prime aren't wholly encouraging." oh geez! idiot alert.
I think you're over-reacting. The comment about the 50mm prime was a single sentence, unelaborated, in an otherwise very favorable first look at the K1. DPReview liked its size, its, handling, the layout of the controls, and the price/quality ratio.
02-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I won't click on the link because it's DPReview. But from what I understand they put a 40 year old kit lens on it and were disappointed.
They did indicate that they understood that it was an old and not-so-good lens but just wanted to show that a 36mp camera will bring out the worst on any lens not up to the task. They really didn't make a big deal out of it.
I also felt the review was mostly positive.
02-17-2016, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #19
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Virginia Bill Quote
I think you're over-reacting. The comment about the 50mm prime was a single sentence, unelaborated, in an otherwise very favorable first look at the K1. DPReview liked its size, its, handling, the layout of the controls, and the price/quality ratio.
you missed the point... of course a slow lens that's decades old isn't going to be optimal, everyone knows that, so why did they make an ignorant comment about its pq in the review? it was a cheap shot at the k-1.

by comparison, did they put an ancient nikon 50/2 lens in the d800 first look? and mention how much it sucked on 36mp? i'm gonna guess no

dpr can be such a fail, for example, the forums are overrun with sock puppets trolling multiple fake ids, that seldom get banned: Please put a stop to this character: Site Feedback and Help Forum: Digital Photography Review

i thought that adam wrote an overall better intro to the k-1 than dpr did.

has any article mentioned what the efcs capability of the k-1 is?

02-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So far no-one - anywhere - has commented on the shutter sound. I am curious as to whether the K-1 shutter as quiet as the K-5/K-3?

I really hope it is, despite having a bigger shutter and mirror.
there is a you tube vid that they did the shutter actuation with the microphone near the camera...not crazy loud...
02-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

dpr can be such a fail, for example, the forums are overrun with sock puppets trolling multiple fake ids, that seldom get banned: Please put a stop to this character: Site Feedback and Help Forum: Digital Photography Review
At least here at PF the squirrels are real. We can see them......all too often, really.

DPR is what Otis calls an "Evil Empire", and though they love to beat up on Pentax, my fear is that we will soon have posters beating up on the K1 worse than anything DPR ever dreamed of. I hope I am wrong, but if history is any lesson, it's coming soon.

I think I'm just going to buy a K1, give it to Otis and turn him loose on the negative posters. Cruel as that may be, like those Jumpers he despises, they will deserve it.

Regards!
02-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even when they try to be fair, like in this case they are, DPR can't resist (or isn't aware they're making) subtle little digs. They just have to imply, 'Nice camera - for them. But we cool cool kiddies know where the really good stuff is.'

02-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I received the news this morning via a news reader pop-up on my phone, nothing really excited and something I guessed right, the 36M sensor yes !! high resolution alone is nothing and 40Meg+ is too much and costly to produce... one thing I really disappointed, or it must be a typo on DPR, the USB 2.0 interface, the K3 got a USB 3.0 !! if it is USB 3.0 it better be a USB-C and doubles as charge adapter. The overall body design of the K1 follows the Pentax tradition except the ugly (sorry !) articulated LCD, I really don't like that, it makes the already clumsy (sorry again !) body looked more fat and dumb (sorry again !), although it is still small compared with Canikon, IMHO K3 is the best looking DSLR Pentax ever produced. I also disappointed about missing in body vertical trigger (Nikon D4 etc..), why it must come with the battery grip, I would prefer my K3 grip molded to the body in one piece.

In the lens department, I am glad to see the addition of the affordable 28-105, I got the 16-50 with my K3, it is very sharp but frankly I find it not very useful, the wide end is good for everyday use but the long end hardly enough for portrait, I would carry couple primes instead if I want the best image quality, and I hope for an affordable telezoom like the 70-300/5.6 as well. I shoot 35mm film before I turn to digital, so a FF digital is the way to go naturally, I will no doubt upgrade to FF when I've the fund, but the K1 may not for me.
02-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by cpobuttons Quote
there is a you tube vid that they did the shutter actuation with the microphone near the camera...not crazy loud...
It is not possible to judge the volume on a recording.
what you can judge is the character of the sound.
02-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #25
Pentaxian

you missed the point... of course a slow lens that's decades old isn't going to be optimal, everyone knows that, so why did they make an ignorant comment about its pq in the review? it was a cheap shot at the k-1.

by comparison, did they put an ancient nikon 50/2 lens in the d800 first look? and mention how much it sucked on 36mp? i'm gonna guess no

i thought that adam wrote an overall better intro to the k-1 than dpr did.

has any article mentioned what the efcs capability of the k-1 is?
They did mention that the 50 f2 was used as it was the only old Pentax lens they had and they knew it was a poor lens but just wanted to see what it looked like on and to use. Not sure it that comment was in the article or in a response to a reader's comment.
02-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

I think I'm just going to buy a K1, give it to Otis and turn him loose on the negative posters. Cruel as that may be, like those Jumpers he despises, they will deserve it.
Tell Otis he better strap up, since Osv is very much a jumper and negative poster, Rupert! 😀
02-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I think the "older 50mm lens" bit is a non event. The context is that they are referencing how many legacy lenses can now be used, but dont expect stellar results from all of them. Thats not dissing the camera. I see plenty of reviews that emphasise that you need top glass on the D800 series, for instance.

What im really looking forward too are sample images emerging from the FA prime lenses.
02-18-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

So now the only important question that remains is this one:

Will Ken Rockwell approve?
02-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
If it said Apple on the back and iPhone on the front he would...
02-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
So now the only important question that remains is this one:

His K-3 and 50mm 1.8 reviews were rather positive though!