Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
I find that curious as well. With the K-3 II, don't you have to process the final image in PP? So the K-1 well handle all this processing internally? That's a lot of work in camera and space on the SD. And what if you don't like the results and want to?
We'll have to see. I don't actually know - just had a convo. It has to be something new or they wouldn't feature it.

02-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

Also would like to see if pixel shift (with the motion compensation) is usable in APS-C mode.. more so because I think that is where we'll see the successor to the K-3 II go..
02-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can take JPEG pixel shift images right in the camera with the K-3II. You don't need to use PP at all. DCU will sharpen the RAW PS images, and you can use the RAWs in ACR/Lightroom. Or use a special version of dcraw, which may be incorporated in the various other programs that use dcraw, I dunno. Image Resource did one the better analyses: Pentax K-3 II gallery: Pixel Shift Resolution goes head-to-head in the real world!

I can't see why PS can't be used in APS-C mode. Shouldn't matter what's in front of the sensor. But again, the mode may not be as smart as to pick out an individual quivering leaf and using just one image for that, while using all four for the other parts of the picture. But maybe. And the pixel shift itself is so tiny it could mean that it might be very difficult for an algorithm to pick out what to stack and what to mask; see the thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/311865-pixel-shift-finicky.html

In that thread some used dcraw PS to pick apart motion affected pixels, and you can see depending on where you set the threshold you can get movement most anywhere; thermal movement in the air can trigger it. And then there's file size, etc. I wouldn't expect wonders; for many K-3II users it isn't worth the hassle to use outdoors much. So check out the info there if the PS technology is high on your list of why to buy the K-1.
02-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. Obviously I don't have a K-3 II yet and the K-1 is just not in the cards right away. So how does file storage look when the K-3 II is doing pixel shift? It then has the JPEG which I assume is a hefty file and also the RAW which is a monster, right?

Also, I guess I'm still questioning the usefulness of the in-body processing of the image (if that is how it works on the K-1) when it seems like most people would want a RAW file to tweak in PP anyway, right? Again, having not actually been through the process, I can only guess so it would be interesting to hear from those that have used pixel shift and how often they are content with the JPEG (or would be if it was already corrected to some degree) as opposed to going through the PP workflow anyway.

And yeah, I'm subscribed and have been following that thread you linked. Very interesting stuff with dcraw.

02-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Supposedly the camera selects the reference PIXEL wherever necessary and stacks the 4 pixels wherever else it can.
I bet that this is how it's done. And it's possible to do it on the computer, with exposures from other cameras.
02-18-2016, 04:28 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think Monochrome is right. Basically this will automatically get rid of artifacts from things moving in the frame by using the first frame on the moving items and pixel shift the rest. I think this is more of a software solving of the initial artifact problem and still means that the best results will come from someone using a tripod on a relatively still day -- but it also means that you can use it on moving water, for example, without all sorts of weird artifacts showing up.
02-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Monochrome is right. Basically this will automatically get rid of artifacts from things moving in the frame by using the first frame on the moving items and pixel shift the rest. I think this is more of a software solving of the initial artifact problem and still means that the best results will come from someone using a tripod on a relatively still day -- but it also means that you can use it on moving water, for example, without all sorts of weird artifacts showing up.
Maybe. But as noted, an in-camera solution for JPEG is already there. Maybe there's a better one in the K-1, but that doesn't help for RAW. Currently DCU can't separate out the different images, nor does it have any function to mask motion or do anything but sharpen. dcraw PS version does, but it's still pretty tough to get rid of motion artifacts and leave greater detail for some stuff. The problem is in part that the artifacts look much worse than say a normal motion blur; they're very artificial looking and unpleasant by comparison. And since the PS is affected by very very slight movement, the motion compensation might leave you with an image that isn't much better than a single shot. At the price of 4x the size.

02-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Can somebody explain how pixel shift will work with studio lights? For example if i want to shoot macro of something that doesn’t move.
02-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Can somebody explain how pixel shift will work with studio lights? For example if i want to shoot macro of something that doesn’t move.
It would work very well, versus with flash.
02-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It would work very well, versus with flash.
but will flash fire once or several times?
02-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
but will flash fire once or several times?
I assume it's unworkable with flash ... happy to be corrected!
02-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I assume it's unworkable with flash ... happy to be corrected!
I mean studio flashlights. Not continius lights
02-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With lights? it's just like a four-exposure bracket, except faster. And it takes a bit for the software to stack it together. Otherwise just like a normal shot.
02-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flash Photography?

Will this feature be available when using the pentax flash units?

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The problem with pixel shift on the K3ii is that you can not take photos of stuff that moves with it.

The new K1 has a "pixel shift resolution system with a new motion correction function".

Does this mean that the K1 when in the pixel shift mode can photograph moving objects? If so, how fast can they be moving?

If this does what I hope it does, the IQ of the K1 in PS mode may rival medium format; and it's size is not much bigger than some APS-C bodies. This could be the landscape photographers dream camera!
02-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
I'm curious if this is a software thing that could be implemented into the K-3 II at some point or is that pretty much out of the question?
dcrawps has the ability to detect movement between the 4 shots, it looks at differences in the 2 greens, and can patch (fix) the affected areas.
This software is available as a binary for Windows and as source for Linux and OSX, although you may well find binaries available for the latter.

Cheers,
Terry