Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's "pixel shift motion correction function"?

The problem with pixel shift on the K3ii is that you can not take photos of stuff that moves with it.

The new K1 has a "pixel shift resolution system with a new motion correction function".

Does this mean that the K1 when in the pixel shift mode can photograph moving objects? If so, how fast can they be moving?

If this does what I hope it does, the IQ of the K1 in PS mode may rival medium format; and it's size is not much bigger than some APS-C bodies. This could be the landscape photographers dream camera!

02-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Handheld? Maybe...
02-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Small movements the kind that happens in landscapes?
02-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would guess that it can compensate for small movements (i.e. wind) a little bit better. This will still negate the effect of pixel shift resolution, but there's no reason the camera couldn't revert to the standard image for those areas.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2016, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Likely:

First image is the reference image. On subsequent pixel shifted images small motions such as trees or ripples caused small motion artifacts. Likely camera can detect the artifacts and substitute the reference pixels in those areas. The question will be how detectable those substitutions are. I don't believe this really means easy hand-held pixel shift.

This and the rear LCD are the engineering differentiators.

I have heard from a user the output is 'jaw dropping.'
02-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just read the DPReview "first impressions review" of the K1. This is what they have to say about PS -

"But the extra benefit comes when you engage the Pixel Shift Resolution mode, taking four offset shots that increase chroma resolution by shooting the scene with a different colored capture pixel for each shot. The latest implementation will attempt to cancel-out any movement that occurs between frames. Don't expect this to cope with a car driving through the image but it should (we're told) be able to deal with leaves rustling. And, of course, the multi-shot nature of the Pixel Shift Resolution mode will improve image noise properties because the noise is averaged-out across the four exposures. That should mean more dynamic range - which is already likely to be high if Ricoh uses its usual sensor supplier."

So, for a landscape photographer like me, this sounds like what I need. A huge improvement over the K3ii version of PS.
02-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm curious if this is a software thing that could be implemented into the K-3 II at some point or is that pretty much out of the question?

02-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds useful but it may still require tripod use.
02-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
I'm curious if this is a software thing that could be implemented into the K-3 II at some point or is that pretty much out of the question?
It certainly sounds like something that could be put on a K3ii with a firmware update. However, Pentax does not have a history of providing regular firmware upgrades (unlike Fuji X bodies).

I expect this will be a feature/upgrade that Pentax/Ricoh will save for the K3iii (or whatever the next APS-C model will be called). And that's a shame, I'd be more than happy to pay $100 to upgrade my K3ii firmware to get this feature.
02-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
'jaw dropping.'

Seems to be a controversial phrase.
02-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was wondering about this and posted elsewhere before the specs were officially released.

It appears to me that the K-3II already does this to a certain extent. If I shoot a JPEG pixel shift it doesn't show (much) movement. It does with RAW. So my hypothesis was it detected movement and just used one of the images of the four. I kinda doubt it did much sophisticated stacking, and I kinda doubt the K-1 will either.
02-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Im curious to see an example taken with the k1 pixel shift compared next to the 645z
02-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I was wondering about this and posted elsewhere before the specs were officially released.

It appears to me that the K-3II already does this to a certain extent. If I shoot a JPEG pixel shift it doesn't show (much) movement. It does with RAW. So my hypothesis was it detected movement and just used one of the images of the four. I kinda doubt it did much sophisticated stacking, and I kinda doubt the K-1 will either.
Supposedly the camera selects the reference PIXEL wherever necessary and stacks the 4 pixels wherever else it can.
02-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Seems to be a controversial phrase.
haha seems to be a kenspo trademarked phrase.
02-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find that curious as well. With the K-3 II, don't you have to process the final image in PP? So the K-1 well handle all this processing internally? That's a lot of work in camera and space on the SD. And what if you don't like the results and want to?