Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LCD viewfinder overlay demo?

Is anyone able to post a demo of the new LCD overlay in the viewfinder of the new K-1? I'd like to get a sense of how it works, because I'm wondering how it behaves during focusing, when selecting AF points, etc. Is it similar to the Canon Intelligent Viewfinder?

02-17-2016, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's very similar (in fact almost identical) to the viewfinder in the Nikon D800. The best I can do for now is offer you this diagram:

You can enable/disable the grid, change the way the grid looks, choose to show the crop area, and even hide the AF frame. Think of it as working kind of like the LCD screen of a calculator, except it's an overlay on top of the viewfinder itself.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
Is anyone able to post a demo of the new LCD overlay in the viewfinder of the new K-1? I'd like to get a sense of how it works, because I'm wondering how it behaves during focusing, when selecting AF points, etc. Is it similar to the Canon Intelligent Viewfinder?
I lied, actually. Here's a video showing the viewfinder Skip to about 2 minutes in.

Hands-On with the Pentax K-1 - Hands-on Reviews | PentaxForums.com

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's very similar (in fact almost identical) to the viewfinder in the Nikon D800.
From descriptions, that has been my take as well. The D800 is a worthy target for emulation in this regard.

Steve

02-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm most concerned about when the viewfinder overlay lights up and how the points are displayed during continuous AF and when selecting AF points (especially when in 9-point or 25-point modes). That's of potential significance during sports shooting. (I know the K-1 isn't ideal for sports but 6.5 fps in APS-C mode is adequate for many situations, and the improved AF and new AI metering algorithms should make it competent for fast action. The K-5 at 7 fps was already fast enough for my usage; I'm more concerned about the keeper rate.)

Keep it up, Pentax! Let's hope this new tech trickles down to APS-C with faster burst shooting and further AF improvements.

Last edited by bwDraco; 02-17-2016 at 07:28 PM.
02-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
I'm most concerned about when the viewfinder overlay lights up and how the points are displayed during continuous AF and when selecting AF points (especially when in 9-point or 25-point modes). That's of potential significance during sports shooting. (I know the K-1 isn't ideal for sports but 6.5 fps in APS-C mode is adequate for many situations, and the improved AF and new AI metering algorithms should make it competent for fast action. The K-5 at 7 fps was already fast enough for my usage; I'm more concerned about the keeper rate.)

Keep it up, Pentax! Let's hope this new tech trickles down to APS-C with faster burst shooting and further AF improvements.
The points should be much less distracting than before. If you can go in to a store and pick up a D800, that should give you a good idea of what to expect.

There's an option that lets you customize when the point illumination comes on- I'd expect that to be a red light that essentially changes the color of the overlay.

Adam

02-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

"Natural Bright Matt III focusing screen allows ease of focusing"

Does anyone know what this means? Is it the way to focus on older manual lens like I focus on my K1000' viewfinder? That would be fantastic but i don't think they meant that here

02-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
"Natural Bright Matt III focusing screen allows ease of focusing"

Does anyone know what this means?
That is the standard stock Pentax focus screen - K-7, K-5, K-3 etc. Useless for manual focus with fast lenses. Non interchangeable in the K-1.
02-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've noticed two boxes for each of the AF points in the AF grid. Does this mean that the thinner inner box is used to indicate the points selected and the thicker outer box is used to indicate the point(s) actually in focus? (This is similar to the behavior I've seen on Canon DSLRs with Intelligent Viewfinders.)
02-18-2016, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
That is the standard stock Pentax focus screen - K-7, K-5, K-3 etc. Useless for manual focus with fast lenses. Non interchangeable in the K-1.
Actually, since the mirror is appreciably larger this can't be the stock K-3 focusing screen. It will be helpful if you refrain from speculative negative posts until the camera is released.
02-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually, since the mirror is appreciably larger this can't be the stock K-3 focusing screen. It will be helpful if you refrain from speculative negative posts until the camera is released.
OK, according to the spec it is the same type of screen and screen finish - "Natural Bright Matte III".
02-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, according to the spec it is the same type of screen and screen finish - "Natural Bright Matte III".
i'm going to hope the larger size makes manual focusing easier. I certainly have enough manual focus lenses to benefit if that turns out to be true.

Also, I spend enough time shooting matte / micro prism film cameras that I've developed a kind of knack for it.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong--just let's wait and see.
02-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Non interchangeable in the K-1.
I beg to differ. The screen release latch is quite visible in the body-only product shots. Whether Pentax will offer additional screens has yet to be determined. One thing is clear, there will be no cut-down Canon or Nikon product for the K-1

Steve
02-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #14

According to the features page:

QuoteQuote:
The focusing screen is fixed on the camera body, and is not interchangeable.
Features4 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING

However enlarging the photo available on B&H Photos catalog it does appear that there is the standard retaining clip for screen. It also appears that this is what some were speculating as electrical connectors for a new adapter for 645 lenses. It also seems this clip cannot be seen in some of the photos. Whether this is due to angle and lighting or the actual presence or absence of the clip remains to be seen. The photos after all are of pre-production models.

Perhaps one of the fortunate few that have been loaned a camera could look in there and tell us. Otherwise we'll just have to wait until someone has a production model in their hands.

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-18-2016 at 03:26 PM.
02-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I beg to differ. The screen release latch is quite visible in the body-only product shots.
That's what I thought!

Good thing I'm not the only one seeing that, I thought I was going mad!