Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What's the Canon/Nikon equivalent?

I really haven't paid much attention to what full-frame camera bodies are out there, so, just out of curiosity-- what would the equivalents from Canon or Nikon be in terms of specs?

02-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There isn't one- that's the beauty of it. The K-1 is a unique body, better in some ways and worse in others compared to what's out there.

I suppose the Nikon D800E comes closest if you want to compare the technical specs side-by-side.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #3

It is indeed unique. The Nikon D810 sensor and IQ, with the D610 basic spec and price, with a Df look. Sturdy almost as a GoPro ("almost"). Its a whole new segment.

The most important thing, is a photographer camera, for still images, amazing iq, good AF prooly. Not an all in one video6kphotouberfastAFIcanDoEverything (but nothing really "top notch") camera.

I believe a lot of medium format pros will give it a chance, as they usually do with leicas, nikon Df, The kind of professional that shoot video with arry alexa, and still with a PhaseOne I think.
02-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For Nikon, the current 36Mp offering is the D810, Outis.

Canon don't have anything in that pixel range ... you've got to go lower, or all the way up to the super expensive 50Mp 5DS.

02-18-2016, 05:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There isn't one- that's the beauty of it.
Very well said!!

The K-1 was never intended to put Canikon out of business, certainly not.

That said, with it's unique feature mix, special features, and surprising price, it's probably causing some furrowed brows over at Canikon now...

Pentax have a distinct marketing strategy here, and they know what/who they're targeting.

With the K-1, Pentax have refused to "dance according to the beat", so to speak.

I believe the K-1 is going to cause some ripples in the FF buyer market.

Last edited by KDAFA; 02-18-2016 at 07:44 AM.
02-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
I believe a lot of medium format pros will give it a chance, as they usually do with leicas, nikon Df, The kind of professional that shoot video with arry alexa, and still with a PhaseOne I think.
I've seen a suggestion that it would be a good companion for the Pentax 645, together with a 645-mount to K-mount adapter.

(I have no idea whether that makes sense! I can't see myself getting into 645 territory).