Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 06:20 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Photos of K-1 size compared to Nikon and Canon

Hello everyone, the cat is out of the bag as they say. As I am no longer bound by the embargo, I can share a few photos I took of the new K-1 next to a Nikon D810, D610 and a Canon 6D. The new K-1 is not that much larger than the K-3, which is already pretty small. Not surprisingly, it's also a good deal smaller than the Nikon D810. It's a little smaller than the Nikon D610. Although just slightly taller than the Canon 6D due to the hump, it's not nearly as wide. Overall, the new K-1 does feel pretty nice and is fairly compact for a full-frame DSLR.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SO-01F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SO-01F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SO-01F  Photo 
02-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the comparison, where were those pictures taken?
02-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Thanks for the comparison, where were those pictures taken?
02-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks for the post. With FF DSLRs size doesn't mean much anymore. I mean anything within +/- 20% volume and mass of each other is the same given if you want small, mirrorless is the way to go.

02-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #5

Something kayak-able is important for me… so in my situation- splash sealing is a must !! … and smaller with good ergonomics is always appreciated !!
02-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks for the post. With FF DSLRs size doesn't mean much anymore. I mean anything within +/- 20% volume and mass of each other is the same given if you want small, mirrorless is the way to go.

It's the lenses that's the problem with FF in terms of size.
02-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
It's the lenses that's the problem with FF in terms of size.
Right. And when you're holding a 70-200/2.8 who cares if a camera is 10-20% smaller. In fact, bigger can be better in terms of giving you something more to grab on to and torque the lens up to your face. That is my experience with FF camera and a big 70-200/2.8 lens. I have two FF DSLRs and one weights less than a K-3. And when that 70-200/2.8 is on it, I can't tell I'm holding a lighter camera. But I can tell I have a smaller grip to grab.

02-18-2016, 04:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Right. And when you're holding a 70-200/2.8 who cares if a camera is 10-20% smaller. In fact, bigger can be better in terms of giving you something more to grab on to and torque the lens up to your face. That is my experience with FF camera and a big 70-200/2.8 lens. I have two FF DSLRs and one weights less than a K-3. And when that 70-200/2.8 is on it, I can't tell I'm holding a lighter camera. But I can tell I have a smaller grip to grab.
Well, fortunately, Pentax has a lot of pretty small primes including the FA limiteds. My philosophy has always been that you put the grip on if you are going to be shooting all day with heavy lenses and leave it off if you are just doing walk around with smaller ones.

I don't mind a little smaller camera as long as the grip is nice. The K10 and K20 were about perfect size for me.
02-18-2016, 04:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

When using small primes, it makes a difference.

Also, not all users/applications call for the use of a grip.
02-18-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, fortunately, Pentax has a lot of pretty small primes including the FA limiteds.
QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
When using small primes, it makes a difference.
Gee, I've owned K-mount gear for over 30 years and just now found out Pentax has small primes. But they are not as small as M-mount. But on a more serious note, I shoot a lot of different cameras and I'm not short on experience holding different sizes cameras. I think a lot of people here dig for rationalization and justification.
02-18-2016, 07:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gee, I've owned K-mount gear for over 30 years and just now found out Pentax has small primes. But they are not as small as M-mount. But on a more serious note, I shoot a lot of different cameras and I'm not short on experience holding different sizes cameras. I think a lot of people here dig for rationalization and justification.
Or don't share your perspective.... there's always that other thing. Accusing other people of rationalization and justification.. that's exactly what you do , using your own perspective. Your assumption that other people will have the same feelings as you if they owned the gear you do.... and they don't only because you have more toys.... well... I'll just be polite.

Honestly a lot of us just aren't bothered by such petty details. If it's small I'm happy, if it's large I'm happy, as long as my lenses attach to it. But for fitting in my camera bag as second body for spot use when it gives me some advantage over my k-3, smaller is better. Since all my gear must fit into pelican cases for travel, smaller is better. And since I carry my gear for kilometres smaller and lighter is better. If you want to call that rationalization and justification... you should get the finger.

Last edited by normhead; 02-18-2016 at 07:11 AM.
02-18-2016, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Or don't share your perspective.... there's always that other thing. Accusing other people of rationalization and justification.. that's exactly what you do , using your own perspective. Your assumption that other people will have the same feelings as you if they owned the gear you do.... and they don't only because you have more toys.... well... I'll just be polite.
Right, Norm. I'm not the overly sensitive type when it comes to cameras. I don't need them to be touchy and feely to give me inspiration to go out and take pictures. I man-up and get the job done whatever is in my hand. After all, look, I shoot a rectangle box of a camera that is the 500C/M.
02-18-2016, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

After all, look, I shoot a rectangle box of a camera that is the 500C/M.
OK then, I take back my bird then.
02-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, fortunately, Pentax has a lot of pretty small primes including the FA limiteds. My philosophy has always been that you put the grip on if you are going to be shooting all day with heavy lenses and leave it off if you are just doing walk around with smaller ones.

I don't mind a little smaller camera as long as the grip is nice. The K10 and K20 were about perfect size for me.

Better served by the DA primes if small and light is a factor. There's 100% more of them too... 6 vs. 3

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 09:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

Honestly a lot of us just aren't bothered by such petty details. If it's small I'm happy, if it's large I'm happy, as long as my lenses attach to it. But for fitting in my camera bag as second body for spot use when it gives me some advantage over my k-3, smaller is better. Since all my gear must fit into pelican cases for travel, smaller is better. And since I carry my gear for kilometres smaller and lighter is better. If you want to call that rationalization and justification... you should get the finger.

But that doesn't mean that generalizations can't be made...

Like Canon has 4 FF DSLR's to choose from and Nikon has 4 as well. Canon and Nikon (and Fuji)have 24/35/50/85/135 FAST primes, Canon and Nikon have F2.8 AND F4 Pro zooms. ALL USM.

Pentax has 2 modern ring drive lenses rebadged Tamrons and 1 DC 70-200. That's it so far.

Canon and Nikon both have a radio controlled TTL flash system that's the industry Pro standard.

So I'm not accusing anyone of rationalizing or justifying anything, you want what you want and rightly so, but the things I listed are not "petty details" either.

And giving someone the finger and telling them not to share their perspective on a forum because you don't like what they said is a bit over the top, no? Just sayin'

Last edited by Qwntm; 02-18-2016 at 09:42 AM.
02-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
And giving someone the finger and telling them not to share their perspective on a forum because you don't like what they said is a bit over the top, no? Just sayin'
I only give folks the finger to let them know, they just rhetorically gave me the finger. Which someone did, so quit being so innocent. I'm not buying it.

QuoteQuote:
So I'm not accusing anyone of rationalizing or justifying anything, you want what you want and rightly so, but the things I listed are not "petty details" either.
QuoteQuote:
I think a lot of people here dig for rationalization and justification.
Ya but someone else did... it's not all about you ya know?