Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Per the other thread: DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM: -
- indicates does not work for FF

So you'll have to use the cropped mode.
That's the problem that i think It can be wrong, no photos to prove me wrong.

02-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I don't suppose there are comparisons of say a K-3II with a 40mm XS wide open vs same lens wide open in crop mode on the K-1 yet? IOW, is a crop lens on the new FF sensor gonna have better IQ than the same on APS-C sensor?
It's only been 24 hours since launch, and no one (that I know of) has seen a production body yet. Patience, grasshopper!

We'll have to see what this sensor can do, but the crop area on the K-1 is ~16MP. So you'll probably see similarities to what you would see comparing a K-3II and a K-5IIs. The K-3's 24MP sensor will probably have more detail, but the K-1's 36/16MP will probably have better dynamic range and low-light performance.
02-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks guys.

I don't suppose there are comparisons of say a K-3II with a 40mm XS wide open vs same lens wide open in crop mode on the K-1 yet? IOW, is a crop lens on the new FF sensor gonna have better IQ than the same on APS-C sensor?
In crop mode, you'll lose more than half your pixels.
02-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
In crop mode, you'll lose more than half your pixels.
Well, yeah, of course...but the question is how that half looks compared to the "whole" of the APS-C shot.

If one had a non-FF lens and had to decide to use the FF cropped, or the APS-C "full," which would it be? I'd guess better AF on the FF, and certainly some reasons to use it, but if one is committed to the lens, then the FF would have to have a better IQ for that crop than the APS-C.

02-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

then the FF would have to have a better IQ for that crop than the APS-C.
How are you defining 'better IQ'? More, smaller pixels give better detail. Less, bigger pixels give better dynamic range and low-light response. When the K-3 came out, there were quite a few folks calling for a K-5III, with all the features of the K-3 but the 16MP sensor of the K-5.
02-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
How are you defining 'better IQ'? More, smaller pixels give better detail. Less, bigger pixels give better dynamic range and low-light response. When the K-3 came out, there were quite a few folks calling for a K-5III, with all the features of the K-3 but the 16MP sensor of the K-5.
Just a balance of all of the above, in say different scenarios like landscape, portrait, etc. It's obviously influenced by the lens as well. We compare sensors all the time; what works depends on how much you value the particular balance of criteria.
02-18-2016, 07:55 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, yeah, of course...but the question is how that half looks compared to the "whole" of the APS-C shot.

If one had a non-FF lens and had to decide to use the FF cropped, or the APS-C "full," which would it be? I'd guess better AF on the FF, and certainly some reasons to use it, but if one is committed to the lens, then the FF would have to have a better IQ for that crop than the APS-C.
Losing 50 percent of your pixels is a big hit, Rob.

Some would say you just spent $1800 on PQ your K5-IIS could have done! Something to use as a last resort, IMHO.

I override the Auto Crop on my Sony A7 if I know the APS-C lens covers more than the standard crop, which I'm happy to do myself in post.

You'll find DA lenses like the DA35, DA50 and DA70 are just fine.

I have two beautiful zooms - the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and the DA*50-135 f2.8 that I won't even try to put on FF. I use the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 instead.

02-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #23

Does the DA 50/1.8 cover the whole FF circle?
02-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hectorse Quote
Does the DA 50/1.8 cover the whole FF circle?
Yes, the Pentax site says 'Stopped down' - as it does for others - but it's fine.
02-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, the Pentax site says 'Stopped down' - as it does for others - but it's fine.
That's great what site are you refereing too?
02-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hectorse Quote
That's great what site are you refereing too?
There's a list that was put up in one of the threads or review sites ... perhaps from a press release.

Look, what we've known for a long time now is that all the K, M, A, F, FA, etc film era lenses work, the D FA series, as well as normal and long DA and DA* primes.

The wider DA primes will need crop mode as will basically any DA or DA* zoom - but even they may be fine at certain focal lengths.

Check the lenses on FF club in this very forum for experiments going back several years.

[Edit: DPR had the Ricoh information: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-1/ ]

Last edited by clackers; 02-18-2016 at 09:27 PM.
02-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I suspect we will be hearing a push for a 1.3x crop mode, or something like 30x20mm as an intermediate setting as a FW upgrade.

As some of us had predicted, what "works" on a Sony FF or film might not match up right on the Pentax system with SR. I suspect the restrictions listed by Pentax will be more accurate than the optimistic reports from hopeful backyard testers.
02-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #28

Will the pentax da★300mm f4 ed work with k1 in aps c mode?

I think it should but some confirmatio would be great. Thx.
02-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
i broke my brain but will DA* 50-135mm cropped or just stopped down?
I have tested it on my PZ-1, and it's definitely no good on full frame at any focal length.

You want proof?

Near-infinity focus at 135mm. The vignetting is even worse at close focus.

135 @ infinity(ish)

And at 50mm. Both taken with the hood off.

It's bloody good on crop though

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-18-2016 at 10:19 PM.
02-18-2016, 10:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have tested it on my PZ-1, and it's definitely no good on full frame at any focal length.

You want proof?

Near-infinity focus at 135mm. The vignetting is even worse at close focus.

135 @ infinity(ish)

And at 50mm. Both taken with the hood off.

It’s bloody good on crop though
Thank you.
That’s not such a bad vignetting on 135mm that you cant work around.
Ok lets wait and see how it works on K-1.