Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #16

i am shooting the A7II besides my 645d now, and it has some advantages for me : i can shoot al sorts of glas. Leica, Nikon Hasselblad and so on. what bothers me with the Sony : the Menu sucks, the White balance and skin tones are bad.

I would love to give the k1 a try, because i have really grown to love Pentax after using the 645d for some time.

03-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After looking at samples of Sony of past, their high ISO performance isn't as good as Pentax and the other 2 big guns
If high ISO performance isn't a priority then Sony would be a good choice

Good luck

Randy
05-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
While K-1 is attractive, I wouldn't go back to any DSLR after using A7/A7r. They are small, weight much lesser and stunning quality. Zeiss glass is expensive but fantastic and for that matter, I can use any glass included Pentax. Also, I am getting used to EVF and zooming before taking shots.

A7ii is even better with IBIS though I am not upgrading - a7 is lighter compare to a7ii (around 150g).
05-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
In the end the mirror-less camera is going to lose out to the bridge camera - why carry around a bunch of heavy lenses that let dust into the camera when a less expensive super zoom camera can do the same job? If light weight and versatility is what you want a Panasonic FZ-1000 will beat the stuffings out of an a7II for half the money, and it will shoot 4K video that looks really good too.

The only difference between a bridge super zoom and a mirror-less camera is that the bridge camera includes the lens. With a mirror-less camera you pay more money to get a lens mount like a DSLR has. If the DSLR is the wrong way to do things - why not go whole hog in dropping all its wrong features- why keep some of them? Cameras will come down to DSLRs for pros and serious enthusiasts and super zooms for everyone else. Mirror-less cameras aren't serious enough for pros, and they are too serious for everyone else
A bridge camera is basically a Q or Q-10 with a better selection of lenses. A typical MILC can do much better than that.

Last edited by reh321; 05-24-2016 at 03:24 PM.
05-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dullnut Quote
I knew it is not apple to apple comparsion with the mirrorless DSLR. Since price wise is about the same. Any suggestion
Yes. I suggest you buy my Sony A7II.
05-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What is your desire? If you don't need the K-1's features, don't mind the electronic viewfinder, don't need the extra megapickles, want a smaller form factor, and like some of the A7ii's other features*, the A7ii is a very fine tool for about the same amount of money.

Steve

* I would include the wide range of adaptable lenses.
But by the time you put the lenses on a Full Frame mirrorless. There's not much difference in size between a FF mirrorless and FF DSLR. Plus the DSLR battery life is much, much longer. The Sony batteries are awful.
05-24-2016, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
While K-1 is attractive, I wouldn't go back to any DSLR after using A7/A7r.

My A7's not going to get much use now I've got the K-1, Yusuf, so my feelings are very different to yours.
05-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I have a A7k (kolari thin sensor modified) and the K1.
I have friends with a7ii

A7/ii
1. Sensor stack - issues with non native wides and even some normal lenses on the edges. One of the reasons why i modded the sensor.
2. Sensor reflections - worse on A7 and much better on A7ii
3. To me, AF is still CDAF speed despite the marketing claims, though ok more most stuff.
4. Some inconvenience with menu digging some often used features.
Eg.
EVF shows setting changes - for strobing
Remote control on/off
5. Its better for MF for sure with the magnification

K1
1. Better AF
2. Better DR, IQ, colors
3. AA filterless
4. Somehow a better sensor /lens o/p too; my wides look better for sure
5. Pixel shift is really amazing to me
6. Astro tracer
7. Better thought out interface
8. Better thought out photographically
Eg.
Ways to release shutter
Ways to release shutter for various shooting modes.
9. Need new and good wides to fully utilise the 36mp
But it's going to be better if you downsample it to 24mp as A7ii.
10. Heavier

In the end, I think K1 is the better camera by far.
But it boiks down to MF lenses or AF ones for me.
I will use both

05-26-2016, 03:17 AM   #24

They're really not the same thing. I use my A7II as my do-all currently, and love it. It's ability to stabilize the image for handheld vid shooting, using a conjunction of OSS and IBIS, is nothing short of astounding. As far as I know, that paired stabilization platform isn't available on the Pentax.

I'm currently looking at the K-1 as a dedicated stills camera. The image quality of the 1080 60p videos on my A7II is, to my eyes, superior even to 4k vids I've shot on my Panasonic G7. I'll probably end up bringing both bodies along, with the A7II sporting the 90mm F/2.8 OSS for my vid shooting, maybe my 55mm f/1.8. I have a few legacy lenses for the Pentax I really want to experiment with, but in end, the K-1 will likely be used just for stills, and nothing but stills, as I'd have to gimp my A7II to shoot at 30p to have a matching frame rate with the K-1, which is not something I really want to do.
10-16-2016, 03:47 AM   #25
Forum Member

Dear colleagues,

I'm a happy owner of an A7. I would like to know your opinion about two things.

1) First, for those who have a K-1 and any A7, what's your impression regarding manual focus? I know that the K-1 can do live-view when the viewfinder is not enough. However, I don't find focus peaking very useful instead of magnifying in the centre, which works awesome for me on the A7. Can you magnify the same way as in the A7 when using a K-1, I mean with a simple click and then minimize with the same button?

2) Second, those K-1 users, is optical manual focusing (and K-1 focus confirmation) that good?

thank you for sharing your opinions.
10-16-2016, 03:54 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
1) First, for those who have a K-1 and any A7, what's your impression regarding manual focus? I know that the K-1 can do live-view when the viewfinder is not enough. However, I don't find focus peaking very useful instead of magnifying in the centre, which works awesome for me on the A7. Can you magnify the same way as in the A7 when using a K-1, I mean with a simple click and then minimize with the same button?

2) Second, those K-1 users, is optical manual focusing (and K-1 focus confirmation) that good?

! - using the unmarked control dial when the selector dial is on the dot runs you through the magnification steps in LV
2 - manual focus tends to be as good as your eyes, but focus confirmation is accurate enough
10-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you magnify the same way as in the A7 when using a K-1.
Just press the OK button in the middle of the four way controller, Rodaballo - same as it is for all the other Pentaxes in Live View!
10-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just press the OK button in the middle of the four way controller,
Ooh - I didn't know that - glad you mentioned it
10-17-2016, 06:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Dear colleagues,

I have used A7x (A7, A7r1, A7R2) since their initial release and some thoughts:

1) Focus peaking is poorly executed both in A7x and K-1, it does really hit anything reliably with large aperture lenses. Only way to surely hit something is maximum magnification via live view (or EVF in case of Sony). Sony implementation of magnification plain sucks - you have to hit magnify button two times to get max magnification. Pentax does it better as it remembers the last zoom level you used the previous time you magnified the view. But...and there is the big but. Max magnification (16x) on K-1 is blurred like D800x live view was. It is hard to really see what is focused and what is not. Display gain is non-existent in dim light to hitting things in dusk/dawn may require additional light (Sony gets the point here).
2) Optical manual focus is pure luck with a DSLR unless split prism is used and even then hi-MP bodies provide so-so results.
10-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Dear colleagues,

Most of the query has been answered on the magnify portion, so i wont say much on it.

I have both A7 and K1. I prefer A7 more for manual lens. To me the EVF works better than OVF on getting focus.
The focus confirmation on the K1 OVF, i felt is a hit and miss if you are playing with wide open lenses like F1.4.

K1 is better for lens which have A-settings. those older lens like K, M lenses, you would need to use "M" mode for the shots.

and also, if you like to play with Flash, K1 live view in M mode only shows what is your setting, so if you use Live view to focus, it is damn hard to focus with. There's a work around but it's quite tiring.