Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Pentax K-1 vs Sony A7ii

I knew it is not apple to apple comparsion with the mirrorless DSLR. Since price wise is about the same. Any suggestion

02-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suggestion about what? Which one to buy?
02-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

Taking the prices of lenses and the different resolutions out of the mix the biggest differences are probably in the video department. The Sony places more of an importance on it than the Pentax - i.e. Sony does 4k.
02-17-2016, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Lol how do you compare two cameras when one hadn't even been released yet?

02-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dullnut Quote
I knew it is not apple to apple comparsion with the mirrorless DSLR. Since price wise is about the same. Any suggestion
What is your desire? If you don't need the K-1's features, don't mind the electronic viewfinder, don't need the extra megapickles, want a smaller form factor, and like some of the A7ii's other features*, the A7ii is a very fine tool for about the same amount of money.

Steve

* I would include the wide range of adaptable lenses.
02-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sisyphus1978 Quote
Sony does 4k.
Not on the A7ii. It does do 1080p/60fps though as opposed to the K-1 1080p/30fps.

If 4K video is a deciding factor, any of the upper tier Lumix m4/3 cameras are a much better option and fairly inexpensive. If one must have a larger sensor the new Nikon D500 is one to consider as would be the A7Rii or A7Sii. If you need 60fps...top-shelf Canon...$$$$

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-17-2016 at 07:59 PM.
02-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #7
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dullnut Quote
comparing it to the a7r would probably be a closer comparison, since the k-1 is $100 cheaper, and they are both 36mp cameras.

there is no ibis on the a7r, no pdaf sensors, no efcs, slower flash sync speed than the k-1, and it probably(?) has a worse shutter delay than the k-1.

a7ii has ibis, it has efcs, it has pdaf, so it'll autofocus ef-mount lenses with the right adapter.

efcs matters: Sony a7 EFCS: how much difference does it make? Part 2 | The Last Word

don't know if the k-1 has efcs? afaik, efcs on dslrs usually only works in mirror-up mode, it's always a compromise of some sort.

02-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
don't know if the k-1 has efcs? afaik, efcs on dslrs usually only works in mirror-up mode, it's always a compromise of some sort.
It also works in live view mode on a D810. You can use a two shutter button press with MLU and get by pretty easy with electronic fist curtain but there will be a blackout period between the shutter presses. And obviously that's not too good when the action picks up but pretty doable otherwise.
02-18-2016, 05:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have been tossing this one around too but since I am already Pentax set up ........... What also stopped me is I love my zoom and the Sony lenses are expensive so.........
02-18-2016, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

a7ii, though it's 24MP. While K-1 will be a solid camera and likely to be the best FF DSLR, I unlikely to go back from Sony. Not only the size, a7ii evf with zoom/peaking is much quicker and accurate with MF lenses that can not be achieved with OVF. I shoot film (ME Super) and digital (Sony) so this feedback is from my day to day experience using both.
02-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I unlikely to go back from Sony. Not only the size, a7ii evf with zoom/peaking is much quicker and accurate with MF lenses that can not be achieved with OVF.
Once you commit to a camera company, no one expects you to go back. You'll find things you like about it, no matter what it is. I think the question here is, will it stop the exit of Pentax users desiring an FF solution, and in that regard, I think the K-1 far outperforms the A7II. Very few of us are tied to any kind of MF. I tend to think of MF folks as either AF people who can't afford their systems AF glass, or people interested in image stacking, where precise control of multiple exposures is a key component of the work. MF is slower than AF for 99% of what people do with cameras, and no better.

Your place in Pentax land will be filled by Sony shooters who want more lens selection, and 36 MP for a 24 MP Sony price. I think pentax will probably win vs Sony in this scenario. Sony will once again be the company of the fickle new gadget quick adopters, not folks who actually can't find something they can use in Pentax land.

Some people were worrying about there not being a cheap 24 MP camera like the A7II that gave them an FF, without having to pay for 36 MP. Now they can have an A7 price, and 36 MP. Most of us are pretty happy. 24 MP FF has very little advantage over 24 MP APS_c. It's when you go to 36 MP FF starts to really shine.

Last edited by normhead; 02-18-2016 at 07:58 AM.
02-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The one feature on the K1 that the Sony does not have that's critical for my work is "Pixel Shifting". If the K1 is able to handle light wind on my landscape shots, it will (for my use) be a much better camera than the Sony offerings.
02-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Some people were worrying about there not being a cheap 24 MP camera like the A7II that gave them an FF, without having to pay for 36 MP. Now they can have an A7 price, and 36 MP. Most of us are pretty happy.
Yep...in a nutshell

I would still like to see a 24 Mpx FF camera from Pentax just to get the edge on high ISO performance, but for now it is enough to have only one camera that I have no budget for

Steve
02-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #14

This is exactly my apple and orange. Agree on most opinions. For me, weight and dimensions are also factors to consider. The a7ii wins on these. Currently using a K50 and very happy with it. Sometimes yearning for sharper detail when traveling, but also want to keep it light(er) and convenient.
02-29-2016, 07:45 PM   #15

In the end the mirror-less camera is going to lose out to the bridge camera - why carry around a bunch of heavy lenses that let dust into the camera when a less expensive super zoom camera can do the same job? If light weight and versatility is what you want a Panasonic FZ-1000 will beat the stuffings out of an a7II for half the money, and it will shoot 4K video that looks really good too.

The only difference between a bridge super zoom and a mirror-less camera is that the bridge camera includes the lens. With a mirror-less camera you pay more money to get a lens mount like a DSLR has. If the DSLR is the wrong way to do things - why not go whole hog in dropping all its wrong features- why keep some of them? Cameras will come down to DSLRs for pros and serious enthusiasts and super zooms for everyone else. Mirror-less cameras aren't serious enough for pros, and they are too serious for everyone else