Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax Lens Finder feature on PF not complete for FF glass

Seems like quite a few lenses that are known to be FF compatible like the da*55, da40, fa35, fa28 aren't listed. Plus it would be nice if the FF lens list would include third party glass like the Tamron 28-75, Sigma 24-70, 70-200's etc. Sigma primes like the 20, 24, 28, 30, 35, 50 art, 85, 70, 105 and fisheyes would be good to include as well since they fill some gaps in the Pentax line up.

And a summary of some lenses which are partially usable like the 10-17 at 15mm and above would be good to have in a single location as a reference.

If Pentax Forums wants to be the go to place for people who want to learn about K mount, this should be put in an easy to find and use place IMO.

Full Frame Pentax K Lenses | PentaxForums.com

02-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a very reasonable demand, should only take a few hours to implement.

hang on....
02-17-2016, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Seems like quite a few lenses that are known to be FF compatible like the da*55, da40, fa35, fa28 aren't listed. Plus it would be nice if the FF lens list would include third party glass like the Tamron 28-75, Sigma 24-70, 70-200's etc. Sigma primes like the 20, 24, 28, 30, 35, 50 art, 85, 70, 105 and fisheyes would be good to include as well since they fill some gaps in the Pentax line up.

And a summary of some lenses which are partially usable like the 10-17 at 15mm and above would be good to have in a single location as a reference.

If Pentax Forums wants to be the go to place for people who want to learn about K mount, this should be put in an easy to find and use place IMO.

Full Frame Pentax K Lenses | PentaxForums.com
The FA 35 and FA 28 are listed (you need to set "in production" to No or Both to see the latter).

As for the DA 40mm, DA* 55mm, etc., the classification in our database will depend based on their default behavior on the K-1. If they trigger the crop mode, then they will generally remain classified as APS-C lenses. If there is no vignetting, though, we'll add a separate classification that will imply unofficial FF compatibility. I have a feeling that the DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm, and perhaps the DA* 55mm and DA 40mm will fall into this category. Until actual first-hand tests are performed, we can't take the risk of misleading users by going against official designations.

Having notes on crop behavior is a good idea. I will be sure to add that information to the database once we complete our tests of DA lens compatibility on the K-1. These findings will also be published in a separate review for reference.

We do plan to add third-party support later on, but right now the focus is on genuine lenses.

Thanks very much for the feedback!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If I understand this subject right my 12-24 f4 turns on the FF (after zooming till vignetting is gone) to a 18-24 f4, right?
I could live with that, or are here other additional limitations beside that?

02-17-2016, 11:41 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
If I understand this subject right my 12-24 f4 turns on the FF (after zooming till vignetting is gone) to a 18-24 f4, right?
I could live with that, or are here other additional limitations beside that?
Nope, there wouldn't be any other limitations since the lens mount is the same.

BTW, this thread might prove helpful:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-f...ts-thread.html

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks mate! I actually studied this for quite some time but there are not that many resources for that out there. Will check the thread.
02-17-2016, 11:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Fisheye lenses make this rather difficult as there is a considerable subset of fisheye lenses that aren't designed to fill the frame even on APS-C format.
02-18-2016, 12:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Adam, I figured it was a work in progress. I love the idea of having this page in the first place so my compliments to you.

My concern about people not knowing the amount of full frame k-mount lens choices crossed my mind as I was reading comments from other sites when actually, there are quite a few choices to make a pretty complete system. I was going to place a link on the other review sites to the Pentax Lens Finder page, but decided against it for the reasons I mentioned.

The amount of non-Pentax users who have taken notice of the k1 is pretty interesting and being able to shoot them to this site (or any site that does it) with a comprehensive list would be great.

02-18-2016, 03:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I did an overview here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/313830-current-pent...w-picture.html

Many test shots are linked there also.

With regards to the grey zone you will always have long discussions.
02-18-2016, 04:06 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I was going to place a link on the other review sites to the Pentax Lens Finder page, but decided against it for the reasons I mentioned.
The link in the address bar is automatically updated based on the filters you select. So it would probably be safe to link to the page without the FF filter specified, or perhaps one that shows all autofocus lenses, even those not in production:
Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

The amount of non-Pentax users who have taken notice of the k1 is pretty interesting and being able to shoot them to this site (or any site that does it) with a comprehensive list would be great.
I think the fact that the K-1 is a full frame speaks for itself The word alone turns heads.

As for a list, I plan to make a reference article on the homepage with a list of all compatible lenses (and their limitations, etc), so look out for that in the coming days.

Adam

02-18-2016, 04:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The FA 35 and FA 28 are listed (you need to set "in production" to No or Both to see the latter).

As for the DA 40mm, DA* 55mm, etc., the classification in our database will depend based on their default behavior on the K-1. If they trigger the crop mode, then they will generally remain classified as APS-C lenses. If there is no vignetting, though, we'll add a separate classification that will imply unofficial FF compatibility. I have a feeling that the DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm, and perhaps the DA* 55mm and DA 40mm will fall into this category. Until actual first-hand tests are performed, we can't take the risk of misleading users by going against official designations.

Having notes on crop behavior is a good idea. I will be sure to add that information to the database once we complete our tests of DA lens compatibility on the K-1. These findings will also be published in a separate review for reference.

We do plan to add third-party support later on, but right now the focus is on genuine lenses.

Thanks very much for the feedback!
Great to hear of the above being in-process.

It will surely be a help to those seeking reliable info.
02-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Some new info:

According to Pentax, the DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm, and DA 560mm include lens corrections for both FF and crop mode. This would suggest that these three lenses are among the few DA lenses offer very good FF image circle coverage. Not surprising for the former two since they're based on the FA*'s.

Adam