Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This time next year I may be ready to get one.
Since much of my shooting is birds and far away wildlife the K-3 and adapted Q have been my preference.
I don't really need it but the K-1 just seems like such a nice camera to own.

02-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not need this camera, and really cannot afford it, but I have pre-ordered. It has been great fun using my Pentax full frame lenses, especially the M series, on my Sony A7RII. I want to enjoy them on a real Pentax FF. Also because at my age I really do not want to wait any longer (Pentaxian since mid '70s).
02-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Not anytime soon. I'll stick with the K-3 for telephoto and just picked up a 645Z for serious landscape/portrait stuff so....

Heh...yeah the 645Z would stop my gas for a K1 pretty fast. I've been eyeing the 645D for a while now since it's well under $4k but I don't think it's going to go low enough(I am waiting on it to go under $3k before I would seriously considered one). The K1 is priced so aggressive that it caught my interest. Now I just need to wait for reviews......
02-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Not anytime soon. I'll stick with the K-3 for telephoto and just picked up a 645Z for serious landscape/portrait stuff so....
Best of both worlds.

02-18-2016, 06:17 PM   #35
Forum Member

My first Pentax was my Pentax K-x i bought about 7 years ago.
It had and still has features i appreciate like the sensor stabilisator, its compatibility to older lenses and its ergonomics.
I started with an simple 18-55, some months later i bought the M 50 1.7 for about 40 € and that was the beginning for my Pentax-lovestory.
Today i have many great old K-mount-lenses i would love to see on full frame. Some years ago i startet to shoot on film and develop it myself, a great adventure to see all my lenses with their full potential.
Today i have 2 digital lenses, my Sigma 8-16 and my old 18-55. I am not sure yet if i will replace the Sigma by an (old) wide lens (like the M 20) or if i will use it in cropmode.

I wonder if it is possible to change the standart focusing screen to a screen with split-image indicator and microprism field as i have in my Pentax K-x right now. Or is it even necessary?
02-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Interspieder Quote

I wonder if it is possible to change the standart focusing screen to a screen with split-image indicator and microprism field as i have in my Pentax K-x right now. Or is it even necessary?
Yeah, that's amazing for fast, accurate focusing of wide aperture lenses, and that's what I did to my K-30, but this thing has a fixed one for the Head Up Display, apparently.
02-19-2016, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

1- I will really enjoy the low light performance of the FF sensor
2- 36MP sensor performance is great
3- most of my glass is already FF
4- i love all the other features that this camera have

02-19-2016, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

I will buy one because I want one.
02-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, first off it's inexpensive...

And then:
  • I already have a 645Z, and many of my accessories will work just fine
  • I can use all of my 645 lenses with it
  • So with regard to the above, kind of an ideal dual setup (just need a T/S in an appropriate FL)
  • I have a couple of 35mm FF legacy lenses
  • Lots of decent Pentax legacy lenses available, and some will work just fine with this camera
  • I have a Rhino Cam for Pentax 645 to Sony E---maybe I can figure out a K mount for the Sony side?
  • The interfaces won't be radically different
  • I'm interested in the IBIS and the high res modes
  • It's pretty bombproof, looks like
Anyway, I won't be running out to get it, but I'll probably get one eventually.
02-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #40
Pentaxian

It's a very affordable FF body and I doubt that there are very few forum members who wouldn't like to have one. I have a decent collection of film era glass but there would be the added expense of some new lenses. My most used lenses, like my DA 15, Sigma 17-70, DA 10-17 would be of limited use on the K1. I'm not going to make that investment to use 30 year old MF lenses. My most used telephoto, the Sigma 150-500, is FF.

If (and a big IF) I were to buy it, the DA 24-70 would be a necessary purchase. My old F 37-70, while a good lens, isn't in good condition and to really get the most out of that 36MP sensor, some very high quality lenses are in order.

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Anyway, I won't be running out to get it, but I'll probably get one eventually.
I think this is where many of us will end up. Eventually, we will own one down the road at some point. When the next FF comes along, the used K1's will get snapped up. I think it's going to have a big influence on lens sales, especially in the 35mm and larger market as I think most of us are going to want a FF compatible lens. I really don't need to shoot with a FF camera. I'm a sports shooter and do a little bird and wildlife shooting and aps-c has a distinct advantage. I have done an occasional wedding but I certainly don't look for that stuff. My issues shooting weddings and events are not FF related but rather poor AF in low light conditions. I'm currently shooting with a K5 and some of these issues have been addressed in the latest K3 model.
02-20-2016, 06:57 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I will buy one because I want one.
Me too. Best, probably only, legitimate reason.
02-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #42
Inactive Account

interesting.... 24mp/K3 vs 15mp/crop K-1
we get a APS-C framework, but there are still - I guess - something that will come influence : size of photosites ISO etc ... the pixel density resolution is not necessarily an advantage, so... I was wondering if the quantum leap on a 15mp crop was worth the loss of "comfort" working in PT with 9 megapixels more on a k3
So my question is about the quality of the 15mp crop, compared to a "K3 24mp" image : what can we expect?
is that the allowance of 9 megapixel compared to the k3, will be offset by a gain of image quality ? Arithmetically FF crop mode loses compared to k3 , but is it that K-1 has other arguments to offset this disadvantage ?
02-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reasons to buy? Great features for using old Pentax/M42 glass and a super price, plus it's a Pentax.
02-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #44

Full frame with SR... so every lens stabilized, and pixel shift, for the ultimate resolution from the sensor. Out with the D800, in with this beauty. It's an easy choice for me.
02-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
So my question is about the quality of the 15mp crop, compared to a "K3 24mp" image : what can we expect?
is that the allowance of 9 megapixel compared to the k3, will be offset by a gain of image quality ? Arithmetically FF crop mode loses compared to k3 , but is it that K-1 has other arguments to offset this disadvantage ?
The K-3 will give you much more resolution, and all those extra pixels will be used in downsampling to improve the noise and dynamic range of the noisier photosites, too.