Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 05:48 AM   #1

Why you will buy the K-1?

Maybe is not that interesting thread, but after see a previous comment on the opposite thread I want to know what do you thing about it.
I have a Pentax K5, for me the K5 II and K3 was not enough improvement to buy it. Probably people with K3 or K3 II have the same feeling with the K1.
Personally, K3 II present interesting tools to have, like the integrated GPS for Astrophotography (I'm not used too much the internal flash); the super resolution, which for me gave a new kind of challenges to explore.
And of course, K-1 have the new 5-axis stabilization (I thing is new, right?), WIFI incorporate (I have a compact Sony that is possible to control remotely and is very helpful), FF! (I have 3 lens for FF), The possibility to used the DA lens (Good thinking Pentax!), Same battery, and probably some other staff that I forgot right now.
So, taking all the improvements from K5 II to K1, there are a lot of stuff that makes me thing to buy this camera.
What about you?

02-18-2016, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have upgraded to the K-3II from my old K-01 in the last 6-months but I would still (and do) want to upgrade to the K-1 for the following reasons:
Its FF - I already have the FA43, K55 and Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 HSM / 85mm f1.4 HSM combo which cover 99% of my shooting. The FA43 and my film MZ-S is my perfect combo, so using this on FF would be a dream (and the 85mm)

Low noise/High DR - From the initial samples I have seen nice and clean output at ISO 3200 and usable well above that. This is the only real gripe I have with the K-3II (itself not too shabby).

Compact - Not a massive amount bigger than the K-3II, only really in height. Has a taller grip too which for me is ideal.

Astrotracer - I went for the K-3II over the K-3 for this feature although not used it in anger yet, due to lack of opportunity

5-Axis SR - Big improvement (and 5-stop) over the already decent implementation on the K-3II.

Price - @£1599 pre-order, its a steal IMO.
02-18-2016, 06:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the ideal replacement for my K-5 when it dies. My K-5 does the job, so I skipped the K5-II, the K5-IIs, the K3 and the K3-II, and have so far missed out on AF improvements, pixel shift and the elimination of the AA filter. The K-1 tidies all that up even more, gives us even higher levels of ISO (though I would like to think what we have has been improved at all existing levels), and gives us a full-frame sensor into the bargain, so all my film era lenses (which I do shoot on film bodies) can achieve their full field of view AND full functionality on digital at last.

I have A series lenses (including 3rd party) or better from 19mm up to 210mm in zoom and plenty of fast AF primes, so I'm ready to go in a BIG way. And from what I've seen of the viewfinder pattern, I'm going to like it. I was scared they would actually drop physical blinds inside the finder, but no, this way you maintain an awareness of what's about to move inside the APS-C box and you can think about framing and composition; it's almost like having a greater than 100% viewfinder on your APS-C camera, and that's going to be great for the Limiteds. I can cope with the loss of one megapixel compared to the K-5.

If I had still been on my *ist-DL, I would put it aside right now in favour of this; the quantum jump would be enough to justify it and the price is just amazing. But while it lives, the K-5 will do.
02-18-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would only do it because a) most of my lenses already are FF; and b) I prefer to shoot wide angle, where FF has advantage (unlike macro, telephoto, and hi burst rate, though the FF allows a "crop mode" anyway)
Oh, and because my current cameras are fairly "old"
But it will take a while before my budget frees up so much. Unexpected expenses keep coming up. Unless maybe I somehow sell 200 photos from my 500px page

Edit: And yes, better title for this thread. I guess it could also have just been edited on the previous thread instead of closing it, but no harm

02-18-2016, 06:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think i will sell one of my K-3 bodies and two lenses i don´t use very often and get a K-1.
I was thinking of getting a FF for some time now, but buying into another system is a big step for me and i love my Pentax gear.
I need something rugged for traveling and hiking as well. I´m a big guy so weight is of secondary importance for me.
In recent time i did more portrait work and will soon start to make some small amounts of money with it. That is a good excuse to commit even more to my hobby.
Working at a museum as an event manager it should help photographing in the bad lighting conditions during our events.
Good glass is on its way and i have some glass that i can use with FF at hand.
The real question for me is which setup i will buy. I want some kind of standard zoom for traveling and i think i will get the body only with the 24-70 FA instead of getting the kit lense, but i hope we will get some insight for these lenses in the next weeks. The 15-30mm is tempting but quite expensive at release. I think i will wait for a better street price.
I had hoped for some decent video just for some small travel films, but i will find another solution for that. Perhaps i´ll get a decent action cam.

Overall i´m really happy with the K-1. I seems to fit my needs. It lacks in some areas i don´t need very often (burst, video, wide spread AF points,...), but i can understand that these missing features might hurt Ricoh/Pentax in atracting new customers.
I´m not sure when to get it. I will go for some beautiful week long hike at the end of april beginning of may and would love to go with the K-1, on the other hand waiting for autumn might et the prices down a bit and i could get one right before my trip to France.
Questions over questions.
02-18-2016, 06:40 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It's the ideal replacement for my K-5 when it dies. My K-5 does the job, so I skipped the K5-II, the K5-IIs, the K3 and the K3-II, and have so far missed out on AF improvements, pixel shift and the elimination of the AA filter.
I'm in the same position. My K-5 is plenty of camera for me and none of the improvements since have been enough to make me want to part with more cash. However, if for some reason I become separated from my K-5, I'll definitely be buying the K-1 given its reasonable relative price and improved feature set.
02-18-2016, 06:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I am planning to take my photography to the next level. I'm especially interested in astrophotography and think the K-1 is THE best camera for that purpose.

It has everything an astrophotographer would need:
- probably the best outdoor, weather sealed DSLR on the market
- better ISO performance than a crop sensor camera
- more possibilities to go wide angle than on crop sensors
- GPS, compass and electronic level
- AstroTracing when you don't want startrails
- Star Stream when you do want startrails
- LED lights to illuminate the camera in the darkness

I wonder what happened to that celestial object tracking that Ricoh has patented. Any idea?

Last edited by alpheios; 02-18-2016 at 10:45 AM.
02-18-2016, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I have been using Pentax SLRs (and only Pentax SLRs) since about 1967. Although I've had success with APS-C SLRs, and I don't use any of my older lenses on digital cameras, I still want to get back to that experience of big viewfinders and top quality.

I often shoot fast moving objects: airshows, motorsports, birds in flight, etc. I get too many cases of clipped wings, not getting all of a fast bike in the frame, etc. I want to get the same number of pixels of the subject, with more space around it.

And most important of all - forget all my attempts at rational judgment; I just lusted after it! So I pre-ordered it (plus battery grip) from SRS about 12 hours ago.
02-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
And most important of all - forget all my attempts at rational judgment; I just lusted after it! So I pre-ordered it (plus battery grip) from SRS about 12 hours ago.
I´m in the same boat. I just try to convince myself that there are rational reasons to get one asap.
For the moment i cannot preorder it in Germany and i will wait a bit to search for a bundle i might like. (body + Fa 24-70 would be good)
02-18-2016, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah heck, forget all the technical reasons, I just want one. Duh!
02-18-2016, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Ah heck, forget all the technical reasons, I just want one. Duh!
During detailed negotiations last night with my wife that was my final argument. The final decision was, stick to the original plan.

August. Because IMX-094.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-18-2016 at 09:36 AM.
02-18-2016, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll buy it... because my K3 is amazing, and having a full frame sensor camera that builds on the platform will be fantastic. And there's a bunch of new features in it. No need to overthink it, it will be a really fun camera to work with.
02-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #13

I wont!
im keeping my K-3 @ 8 fps............................ to much invested to jump ship now
02-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #14

I'll buy it eventually. Why? Full frame advantages for low light noise levels. And a whole new field of view for my existing lenses.
02-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #15
Unregistered User

Ordered so now I am waiting and waiting. When I saw the US-pricing I was happy, but when seeing the Swedish pricing I was no longer as happy but I really, really have to try this marvel.

So I have bought it just because it has some neat features and will help me make better images at night.

The K-1 and the K-3 will make a great combo.