Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 12:41 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I will buy one in about 24 months time second hand if all reviews go well, and I'm happy with what I read, as I want to use a full frame camera with my lenses. But, I am not sure that I am a fan of the type of flippy screen used on the K-1, not my cup of tea. If I had a flippy screen I'd prefer an articulated screen similar to what is on the K-S2 (something that can be used faced in as well). The other thing I'm not sure about is the position of the strap mounts, one if off centre to the other, not sure how the camera will sit (with its weight) when not in use on the straps that I use. The strap mounts will require rings, not sure If I like that either, the little things count. The other thing I'm not keen on is 3 large wheels, I'd appreciate a maximum of one or maybe two and a larger top screen..
Having said that I'm sure it will be a beast of a camera. A great beast.
Anyway I may even wait for a second model or even the K-1 replacement if there is one. The early adopters will iron out the bugs, and lets see what new APS-C model comes out.

Last edited by beachgardener; 02-29-2016 at 08:09 PM.
02-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #62

Photos: Albums
I will buy the K-1 because i don't want to be left outside - alone!
03-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #63

There are several reasons - which have been mentioned by others - however there is one which hasn't been mentioned. The K-1 will be a "classic" milestone camera in the way that the first Canon and Nikon full frame cameras are. The K-1 will be the first Pentax digital to draw new pros to it; the feature set and pricing are right to do that. One other thing: it will be the only camera ever built with that kind of LCD screen mounting - not that there is anything wrong with it, but that it will be too expensive to include in future cameras.
03-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
One other thing: it will be the only camera ever built with that kind of LCD screen mounting - not that there is anything wrong with it, but that it will be too expensive to include in future cameras.
Interesting prediction. But what makes you conclude that it is expensive?

The LCD itself appears to be a pretty bog-standard one, similar to what might appear in other equivalent cameras. It connects to the camera by a weather resistant cable, which can't cost much.

The flexible mounting is purely mechanical, not electrical or electronic, and while ingenious I wouldn't have guessed that it would cost much. A plate on the camera with 4 grooves; 4 "legs"; a hinged mounting plate for the LCD into which the 4 "legs" fit. That doesn't sound much; or am I missing something? (I'm not that sort of engineer!)

03-02-2016, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

With the K-1, I have now come 'full circle'. I purchased my first Pentax SLR in 1976, a MX with the auto winder and a bunch of M glass. I still have that 'ol MX and fondled it gently last night when I was making the final decision whether to purchase a K-1 or not. When Pentax went digital, I got a couple of *istDs. Those were followed by a K100D, K10D, K20D, K-7, K-5, and a K-3, (not counting the two Qs or snapshot and waterproof cameras). (Still got all those bodies except for the K100D which I sold to my brother and the K20D which I gave to my lady friend.)

That first MX was purchased when I was just starting out in my career, and the K-1 will be the last before I retire in less than a year and my income will be less than now. The K-1 will see me into the horizon of life. Looking forward to using that old M glass, (along with some A and FA glass too). One of the primary reasons is reduction of low-light noise with the larger sensor. I 'hate' flash, as most people who get flashes going off in their eyes do.
03-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #66

For those that have a K-3, is a big decision (if the money is short) to move or to buy an extra body like K-1. As is already known the differences between crop and ff sensors in quality level is not that much clear. So you have to balance your needs for photography.
For me the things are very clear! I definitely going to buy one, until autumn, and the reasons are:
1) It's my time for upgrade. I have stuck on K-20D since 2008! I love my camera and I made a promise to my self (the bad finance helped...), that the next body would be a FF from Pentax (even if I balanced lately to move to nikon FF).
2) I am a semiprofessional photographer, shooting mostly landscapes, objects for advertisement, studio fashion, portraits, indoor. So... the FF is one way decision.
3) Looking to my lenses, I have: 2 APS-C, Pentax 16-45 f/4 and samyang 8mm f/3.5 and 8 Full Frame Pentax M 50mm f/1.7, Pentax K 135mm f/2.5, Sigma K 135mm f/3.5, Miranda A 24mm f/2.8, Kiron K 28mm f/2, Chinon K 200mm f/3.5, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 and Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6.
4) I am ok with the 14.6 sensor of K-20D, so the 15 mp, when using the APS-C lenses on this new much better sensor, definitely is more than ok. The best would be to use the full sensor, but...

And for last. If there will be a kit with K-1 & 24-70 f/2.8 would be grate!
03-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Right now I own the K5II. I was stupid enough to buy it without studying what the AA-Filter does. Anyways, I want a body upgrade. I want full frame and all the advantages that come with. I want the increased dynamic range and I will shoot the night sky on full frame. and I want a bigger body that my pinky will finally have a place to rest
(and some lenses FF ready, 50 1.7, 28 2.8, 70-300 [and I consider the 12-24 f4 as full frame ready too])

03-05-2016, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #68

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because my Wife said I could!

Last edited by Big Dawg; 03-08-2016 at 04:52 AM.
03-05-2016, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dawg Quote
Because my Wife said I could.
I need a wife like that.

The other day I said "i'm not buying any more beer until I've saved enough money for a K-1"
She said, "you may never drink again."
03-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #70
Veteran Member

I would buy one just because it is full frame. As a hobbyist, I may have to sell my K3 and some of my lenses to partially fund this!

* Full frame gives more coverage for normal lenses. I prefer perspective view of normal focal lengths and similar.
* Built in wireless connectivity, so I don't have to take the SD card out all the time (especially when you AF tune your lens and such)
* LCD screen design is awesome!
* 36MP gives a lot of room for cropping at a lower pixel density similar to K5
* Viewfinder appears to be as good as that in the old film cameras, to help my eyes

The only thing it has to catch up is the focusing speed, accuracy and tracking. I am very eager to read user reviews to get a feel of it!
03-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I pre-ordered cause it didn't come last October
mostly because of better low light/high ISO, and I hope better AF with my 150-450, for wide angle work & nature,& birds (if not fast enough for them then its a D500 just for those & K1 for the rest) & K3II backup & K5II extra backup & Q mini backup NO GAS HERE
and because the price is so low !! can't say but its cheaper than list
and has a bigger grip which is better for larger hands
5 axis SR !!!
WIFI--no FLU nonsense..
and it looks so COOL
03-05-2016, 09:53 PM   #72

I will buy one because I always want to step my photography journey into a new level. My plan will be: K-1, 24-105, 31mm, and later one I want to have 15-30mm, and 300mm.
03-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Interesting prediction. But what makes you conclude that it is expensive?

The LCD itself appears to be a pretty bog-standard one, similar to what might appear in other equivalent cameras. It connects to the camera by a weather resistant cable, which can't cost much.

The flexible mounting is purely mechanical, not electrical or electronic, and while ingenious I wouldn't have guessed that it would cost much. A plate on the camera with 4 grooves; 4 "legs"; a hinged mounting plate for the LCD into which the 4 "legs" fit. That doesn't sound much; or am I missing something? (I'm not that sort of engineer!)
And there in red is the answer. A complicated construction that will take a lot more time to assemble then any other hinged LCD I've seen so far (seems to be lots of small parts in the ball joint in the back of the LCD). It's not expensive as in hundreds of dollar, but much more complicated then anything else seen before, and that is enough. But just because of that it might also be a gimmick thing that will be sort of a Pentax signature for full frame and thus worth it even on coming models. Who knows.
03-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
And there in red is the answer. A complicated construction that will take a lot more time to assemble then any other hinged LCD I've seen so far (seems to be lots of small parts in the ball joint in the back of the LCD). It's not expensive as in hundreds of dollar, but much more complicated then anything else seen before, and that is enough. But just because of that it might also be a gimmick thing that will be sort of a Pentax signature for full frame and thus worth it even on coming models. Who knows.
If the Pentax LCD has utility not available in the competition models they will, in due time, imitate Pentax.

I'll bet third-wheels and LED's are on at least the next round of CaNikon flagship models.
03-06-2016, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The other day I said "i'm not buying any more beer until I've saved enough money for a K-1"
She said, "you may never drink again."
gets worse and worse - now you need to confess how much beer you drink!