Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"Crippled" mount or not?

Just what the subject line says... can I use my aperture ring in any position without having to use stop-down metering?

Thanks!

02-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Just what the subject line says... can I use my aperture ring in any position without having to use stop-down metering?

Thanks!
I had asked that same question earlier in another thread ... I think it was in the "Final Countdown ... K-1" and was told "no change", i.e.: still crippled.
Lacking the aperture lever, or something like that.
02-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #3

Looking at every available photo and video I've stumbled across I see no evidence of the aperture linkage inside the mount. I'm sure one of the "hands-on" reviews would have mentioned it if the linkage were there.
02-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, poop.

02-18-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yep, no sign of the aperture link lever... So we are stuck with stopped-down metering...
02-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Which, lets be honest, works okay too.
02-18-2016, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That ship has sailed forever (I was told).

02-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Which, lets be honest, works okay too.
Unless you have a lens without A on aperture ring, like the very popular Pentax M series.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Too bad.
02-18-2016, 08:49 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Us: (in every interview for at least the past five years): When are you going to uncripple the K-mount?
Pentax (in every interview for at least the past five years): We're not going to uncripple the K-mount.
Us: They're going to uncripple the K-mount!
(Pentax doesn't uncripple the K-mount.)
Us: Awwww - next time, they'll uncripple the K-mount!
02-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #10

4.5........................................... Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (forehead on Keyboard) why oh why pentax did you do this to us?

Just throw the sports photogs under the bus!

took a few breaths now i am back...
i am a Surf photographer and i need 12-14FPS for some of the work i do 4.5 fps misses a lot of the very quick volatile action that occurs while shooting from Land or sea- shooting movies was a hopeful too with auto focus tracking in movie mode-the other guys have had it for years now-why not K-mount?
i will just keep my K-3 and do what i can....i wont be buying the K-1 anytime soon
no offense fellow pentax users
k-1 is not a sports camera by anymeans
Aloha Timothy

Last edited by Krusty Surfer; 02-18-2016 at 09:06 AM.
02-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Krusty Surfer Quote
4.5........................................... Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (forehead on Keyboard) why oh why pentax did you do this to us?

i am a Surf photographer and i need 12-14FPS for some of the work i do 4.5 fps misses a lot of the very quick volatile action that occurs while shooting from Land or sea- shooting movies was a hopeful too with auto focus tracking in movie mode-the other guys have had it for years now-why not K-mount?
i will just keep my K-3 and do what i can....i wont be buying the K-1 anytime soon
Aloha Timothy
A bit off topic in this thread.

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 11:19 AM ----------

As for crippled mount I thought there were physical space considerations that Pentax had suggested made this very difficult to accomplish.
02-18-2016, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Aloha Timothy

You're looking for a D750 dude. The people who have them love them. Pentax is probably never going to make one. Sorry if someone told you they would.
Aloha.

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 11:25 AM ----------

I'm still mystified. I recently got a Super Tak 35 3.5. I put it on the camera (with the adapter) left the camera on AV, set the lens to 5.6 pressed the shutter release, and voila, perfect exposure on my K-3. What am I missing?
02-18-2016, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Unless you have a lens without A on aperture ring, like the very popular Pentax M series.

Too bad.
Nope. Stop down metering is a workable solution for 40 year old lenses.
02-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
y
This isn't the camera brand you're looking for...
02-18-2016, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm still mystified. I recently got a Super Tak 35 3.5. I put it on the camera (with the adapter) left the camera on AV, set the lens to 5.6 pressed the shutter release, and voila, perfect exposure on my K-3. What am I missing?
Green Button stop-down metering is now pretty well calibrated compared to the K10D days. I have many K and M lenses. I am about to realize a dream I've had for at least a decade.

If I could fly to Yokohama and shake the hands of the product and design managers (or bow, or whatever is culturally appropriate) I would.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-18-2016 at 06:32 PM.