Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 12:41 AM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote

1. Does every Samyang (not Rokinon) 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC has 'A' position on aperture ring like on picture here Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database ?
I'm asking this because I could buy that lens in K mount only through online store but pictures there are not for K mount and I'm a little suspicious because of that.
It's a deal breaker for me if it doesn't have 'A' position.

Yes, it does, Banep. Online stores will often reuse pictures from other mounts for their convenience.

04-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #167
Pentaxian

because it is a temporary solution until I save enough money for D-FA 15-30.
But is the general consensus that the D-FA 15-30 will be the best wide angle IQ-wise, for now at least?
04-21-2016, 01:24 AM   #168
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
But is the general consensus that the D-FA 15-30 will be the best wide angle IQ-wise, for now at least?
Well, that Tamron has a case to be called the finest UWA zoom in the world.

Some felt that used to be the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8, but this is apparently better.
04-21-2016, 03:46 AM   #169

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Yes, that is reality, but it is far from perfect for me because it is too big and too heavy and that is the main reason why I'm still not sure about that lens.
I don't need so wide and so fast lens but I need much smaller lens with similar IQ.
Pentax FA 20-35mm f/4 has ideal specification for me including size and weight and IQ is good but I'm not sure is it good enough for the K-1.
I would like to se D-FA 20-35mm f/4 WR in lens roadmap, but that probably won't happened (soon).

04-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #170

humm...so on a full frame, the widest one can go without getting a fish eye is 14 or 15 mm. the widest one can go on an apsc is 10mm.
with that said, seeing as how both have the same field of view, i'm assuming that there is no real advantage in terms of what can be captured with a wide angle lens such as a 14/15 mm on full frame vs a 10mm on apsc? they both will capture the same image horizontally and vertically.

am i right in thinking that?

one of the reasons why i'm interested in the k1 is that it will give more realestate in my pictures with certain lenses. i get more room with my 50mm, 85mm, and my 100mm. but what about on the wider end. will i be getting the same room? i dont think so, but i could be wrong in that..
04-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #171

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
humm...so on a full frame, the widest one can go without getting a fish eye is 14 or 15 mm. the widest one can go on an apsc is 10mm.
with that said, seeing as how both have the same field of view, i'm assuming that there is no real advantage in terms of what can be captured with a wide angle lens such as a 14/15 mm on full frame vs a 10mm on apsc? they both will capture the same image horizontally and vertically.

one of the reasons why i'm interested in the k1 is that it will give more realestate in my pictures with certain lenses. i get more room with my 50mm, 85mm, and my 100mm. but what about on the wider end. will i be getting the same room? i dont think so, but i could be wrong in that..
With a 1.5x crop factor a 14mm uwa lens acts like a 21mm wide lens. On the other hand same lens is 14mm on a full frame DSLR. So basically a samyang 10mm uwa performs like pentax 15mm full frame lens. UWA on FF gives you more depth and larger area to cover. Better macro distance and greater iso performance.
04-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #172
Pentaxian

Yes, that is reality, but it is far from perfect for me because it is too big and too heavy and that is the main reason why I'm still not sure about that lens.
I don't need so wide and so fast lens but I need much smaller lens with similar IQ.
Pentax FA 20-35mm f/4 has ideal specification for me including size and weight and IQ is good but I'm not sure is it good enough for the K-1.
I would like to se D-FA 20-35mm f/4 WR in lens roadmap, but that probably won't happened (soon).
Kendrick James loves(d?) his FA20-35. If it was good enough for him for years, it was good enough for me. I used one for about 2 years with a K3 until I feel in love with the Sigma 20-40 because I prefer its cooler rendering tones.

I don't think you should worry about the FA20-35. It has been the choice of a number Pentax landscape pros for years. The only issue is red fringing if you have a heavy contrast transition. I strongly recommend ALWAYS using a CPL with the lens and watch your highlights. If you bump the right edge of the histogram you are going to fringe, and it's going to cost you some extra time in PP.

I would love to own the 15-30, but as discussed in a couple other threads, it's impossible to use with filters unless you purchased an extremely expensive adapter/holder kit. That has eliminated that lens from consideration for me.

---------- Post added 04-21-16 at 08:48 AM ----------

you have to be VERY careful when using UWA. remember the greater FoV in FF will result in greater distortion between foreground and background objects as well as EXTREME corner distortion. I own a Sigma 10-20, but very rarely use it at 10mm because I'm not fond of 45 degree angled tree branches or other straight line corruption along the edges. I also don't care for the extreme background minimization in most cases. I'd much rather stich 2-3 flat frames together.

---------- Post added 04-21-16 at 08:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
With a 1.5x crop factor a 14mm uwa lens acts like a 21mm wide lens. On the other hand same lens is 14mm on a full frame DSLR. So basically a samyang 10mm uwa performs like pentax 15mm full frame lens. UWA on FF gives you more depth and larger area to cover. Better macro distance and greater iso performance.
you aren't going to see "greater iso performance" as a result of a lens. that's a characteristic of the sensor.

Macro abilities and minimum focusing distance are very different things as well, and it is not a rule that the wider the FoV the closer the minimum focusing distance. I have both a 70 and 90mm macro that have a closer minimum focusing distance than my 10-20. The 70mm macro gives me 1:1, the 10-20 at 10mm is at best 1:4-ish.

Last edited by nomadkng; 04-21-2016 at 08:55 AM.
04-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #173
Site Supporter

No, the Sigma 12-24mm EX DG is a true wide angle, full frame, (non fish eye) lens. I think that 12mm is the widest -non fish eye - lens for a full frame camera.

04-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #174
Site Supporter

FF & wider angle lenses.

What quality of images do you all imagine we will get (FF) with our Pentax 12 to 24mm lenses. Will it work well or much it be cropped? RJM
04-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #175

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
you aren't going to see "greater iso performance" as a result of a lens. that's a characteristic of the sensor.

Macro abilities and minimum focusing distance are very different things as well, and it is not a rule that the wider the FoV the closer the minimum focusing distance. I have both a 70 and 90mm macro that have a closer minimum focusing distance than my 10-20. The 70mm macro gives me 1:1, the 10-20 at 10mm is at best 1:4-ish.
Better iso performance and macro distance are characteristic of the FF sensor. I should have separated that sentence
04-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #176
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, that Tamron has a case to be called the finest UWA zoom in the world.

Some felt that used to be the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8, but this is apparently better.
Which Tamron was that? I've lost track with all the lenses mentioned.
04-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #177
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Which Tamron was that? I've lost track with all the lenses mentioned.
Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 which is the lens Pentax rebadged for their DFA 15-30.
04-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoramone Quote
What quality of images do you all imagine we will get (FF) with our Pentax 12 to 24mm lenses. Will it work well or much it be cropped? RJM
this is actually one of my most puzzling questions I have... I shot a bunch on my K1000 in b/w but since the aperture is always open most of them are not that sharp but no vignetting after 18mm. I think this lens will work from 18mm to 24 and with narrower f-stop. Maybe it will shine at f8 in 18mm,... who knows...
04-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #179

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
not quiet.

a sigma 10-20mm is a crop sensor lens. on a full frame, you times that by 1.5, so you get 15-30. as such, the 10-20 on full frame is the exact same as a 15-30 on a full frame.or you divide 15 by 1.5 to get 10-20mm.

now, with that being said, i reiterate the same question i had in the past. the lens focal point remains constant. what changes is the field of view/angle. a 50mm on a crop vs 50mm on the ff is same, but the field of view on a crop will be narrower.

as such, a 10mm on a crop is to be able to utilize nearly 100% of the sensor, unless it actually is utilizing the entire sensor. so, does that mean that since 10mm is utilizing the full crop sensor, and that a 15mm (or 14mm which is equal to about 9.5mm on crop) is utilizing the same amount on a full frame, is there really advantage of using a 10mm on crop vs 15mm on ff? they both are covering the exact same field of view horizontally and vertically.,.unless i am mistaken in my logic?

what i'm trying to say is that on the wide end, will there be a noticeable difference in the field of view on a full frame vs a crop sensor. i get that it will make a significant impact on the field of view? will i simply be able to see more of whatever the scenery is on a full frame if the lens is the same?
04-21-2016, 11:25 PM   #180
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoramone Quote

No idea to be honest. I love WA lenses, so that's why I've stocked up in readiness for the K-1.

I already had an FA20-35 and Vivitar 13/2.8 (same as Samyang 14/2.8), then I lucked upon a couple of good deals recently. An M20/4 for about AUD$230 (about USD$160 at the time) and an old new-stock Sigma 15-30 for AUD$300 (about US$210 at the time).

Can't wait to try them all out.