Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 05:04 PM   #226
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,749
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Maybe, but I think it is not so easy to correct it.
That is a little unsettling. So then all these 'bad' lenses just get returned and resold again and again until some one who does not check finally ends up with it?

05-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #227
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 1,088
I think you woud have to ask someone who worked in professional lens repair.
And I say "professional", because there you may have some time limit per lens.
05-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,891
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That is a little unsettling. So then all these 'bad' lenses just get returned and resold again and again until some one who does not check finally ends up with it?
The retailer would return them to the distributor, though, right?
05-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #229
Junior Member
scopedude's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 38
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The retailer would return them to the distributor, though, right?
I think if the item has used marks it will go back to Canon, if it still looks new, well... who knows?

05-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #230
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,749
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The retailer would return them to the distributor, though, right?
Theoretically. But not always. For example I assume everything at Amazon Warehouse is a returned item. Maybe checked to see if all parts/manuals/packaging is there and then resold?

I worked in retail for 30 years. When a customer returned something we asked if it was defective or if they just wanted something else. If they said defective it went back to the distributor. If they said it was fine they had just changed their mind we checked it over carefully and if all parts and paperwork were there and it seemed to work it went back on the shelf.

---------- Post added 05-26-16 at 05:46 PM ----------

And what does the distributor do with them? Same thing? Check them over and if parts & manual are there send them back out to someone else?
05-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #231
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,891
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
I guess we are talking of variations of not much more than 1 mikron where the lens elements are sitting.
One micron!

Roger Cicala thinks about a millimetre is a problem.
05-26-2016, 05:50 PM   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,891
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Theoretically. But not always. For example I assume everything at Amazon Warehouse is a returned item. Maybe checked to see if all parts/manuals/packaging is there and then resold?

I worked in retail for 30 years. When a customer returned something we asked if it was defective or if they just wanted something else. If they said defective it went back to the distributor. If they said it was fine they had just changed their mind we checked it over carefully and if all parts and paperwork were there and it seemed to work it went back on the shelf.

---------- Post added 05-26-16 at 05:46 PM ----------

And what does the distributor do with them? Same thing? Check them over and if parts & manual are there send them back out to someone else?
Naive me hopes this isn't the case, Jatrax!

My optimistic self says that the distributor sends 'em back to the manufacturer who either ship a replacement or give a refund if it was purchased inventory. The manufacturer accepts that a two, five or whatever percent return rate is part of the business and prices accordingly.

Second hand seller? All bets are off.
05-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #233
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,749
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Naive me hopes this isn't the case, Jatrax!
Yeah, me too!

05-26-2016, 10:23 PM   #234
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 674
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have just purchased a DFA15-30, and should receive it by Friday (27th May) at the latest.

I plan to spend most of June comparing it to my DA10-17, DA15, FA20, DA21, FA*24, F28 and FA31, so I hope I will be able to provide a well-informed opinion to this thread in due course....
Looking forward to that, Sandy.
Brandon
05-26-2016, 10:52 PM   #235
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 352
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Naive me hopes this isn't the case, Jatrax!

My optimistic self says that the distributor sends 'em back to the manufacturer who either ship a replacement or give a refund if it was purchased inventory. The manufacturer accepts that a two, five or whatever percent return rate is part of the business and prices accordingly.

When I returned my severely decentered Sigma 24-60/2.8 for a replacement, they sent me some else's return. The box had been opened, the lens had a couple of fingerprints on the rear element and the packaging was missing some paperwork! Needless to say it was also defective (but nowhere near as severely).
05-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #236
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,891
QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
When I returned my severely decentered Sigma 24-60/2.8 for a replacement, they sent me some else's return. The box had been opened, the lens had a couple of fingerprints on the rear element and the packaging was missing some paperwork! Needless to say it was also defective (but nowhere near as severely).

Thumbdown for that cavalier retailer!
05-27-2016, 01:24 AM   #237
Senior Member
Nitrogliserin's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 201
Sorry if my post directed the thread slightly to off topic but I learned new things here. I didn't know that almost every company have these issues despite the high price. I know that Carl Zeiss lens has hard stop infinity stop so you don't have to bother with that. I agree that adjusting Samyang 14mm is too easy. If it's not a bad copy at least you'll have a decent FF lens for a good price.
05-27-2016, 02:17 AM   #238
Junior Member
scopedude's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 38
QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
Sorry if my post directed the thread slightly to off topic but I learned new things here. I didn't know that almost every company have these issues despite the high price. I know that Carl Zeiss lens has hard stop infinity stop so you don't have to bother with that. I agree that adjusting Samyang 14mm is too easy. If it's not a bad copy at least you'll have a decent FF lens for a good price.
Just because Zeiss lenses have infinity hard stop doesn't mean the focus plane is at infinity (can be only partially).

I've found one ZF 21/2.8 Distagon, one ZF 35/2 Distagon and three ZE 25/2 with decentering issues revealed at infinity. I bought them all for astrophotography in the first place (why the infinity stop should make it easier to focus in darkness) - BUT it turned out the stars were pinpoint only in the half of the frame and the other half is filled with star-bokeh. The newer Zeiss like FE 55/1.8 is also prone to decentering. Ask the Sony guys
05-27-2016, 02:18 AM   #239
Senior Member
K-amps's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 240
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Naive me hopes this isn't the case, Jatrax!

My optimistic self says that the distributor sends 'em back to the manufacturer who either ship a replacement or give a refund if it was purchased inventory. The manufacturer accepts that a two, five or whatever percent return rate is part of the business and prices accordingly.

Second hand seller? All bets are off.
There is a large secondary market ( e.g Dubai) where these lenses are sold at discount with no warranty. For those wanting a bang for their buck will buy these products. Some don't even factory boxes. It costs a lot for a manufacturer to pay anyone to fix our reseat these lenses, much more economical to resell as is to large shops with no warranty.
05-27-2016, 03:26 AM   #240
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,891
QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
There is a large secondary market ( e.g Dubai) where these lenses are sold at discount with no warranty. For those wanting a bang for their buck will buy these products. Some don't even factory boxes. It costs a lot for a manufacturer to pay anyone to fix our reseat these lenses, much more economical to resell as is to large shops with no warranty.
(Shivers). Ugh!

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
5d, af, angle lens, canon, crop, dslr, ff, filter, filters, full frame, full-frame, holder, image, k-1, k1, lens, lenses, macro, pentax, pentax k-1, samyang, sensor, tamron, ultrawide
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best sharp wide angle lens? (For wedding group shots) NeilGratton Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 36 07-06-2016 04:30 PM
Best Wide Angle Lens for Pentax Kx ArtyDiana Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 30 11-21-2014 07:40 AM
Best performing wide angle K mount lenses? Raffwal Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 09-24-2014 08:10 AM
Wanted - Acquired: Wide / Ultra Wide angle lens for my K-5 GWARmachine Sold Items 3 03-23-2013 12:03 AM
Best wide angle for K-5 IIs djc737 Pentax K-5 8 09-29-2012 08:14 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:55 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top