Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2016, 04:27 AM   #241

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Shivers). Ugh!
Agreed: This is one such site. New cams usually go for close to retail, but older ones are to be had at huge discounts. The site is like Amazon, but has no inventory, just drop ships. Actual sellers are someone else...

Pentax K1, in Digital Cameras, Buy Latest Pentax K1, in Digital Cameras in UAE | Souq.com

05-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #242

QuoteOriginally posted by scopedude Quote
Just because Zeiss lenses have infinity hard stop doesn't mean the focus plane is at infinity (can be only partially).

I've found one ZF 21/2.8 Distagon, one ZF 35/2 Distagon and three ZE 25/2 with decentering issues revealed at infinity. I bought them all for astrophotography in the first place (why the infinity stop should make it easier to focus in darkness) - BUT it turned out the stars were pinpoint only in the half of the frame and the other half is filled with star-bokeh. The newer Zeiss like FE 55/1.8 is also prone to decentering. Ask the Sony guys
A friend of mine using Carl Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon for astrophotography and he's using it without any problem at infinity focus since Day 1. Perhaps it's a matter of bad / good copy.
05-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #243
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
Perhaps it's a matter of bad / good copy.
Sure, sample variation at work.

05-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
One micron! Roger Cicala thinks about a millimetre is a problem.
Haven't done the maths, and to do I would need to dig deep in >30 years old lecture protocols.

But 1 mm sounds reasonable if lens elements are really just "decentered", meaning shifted parallel to the lens axis, but still in the correct direction. In many cases such an error would show in pictures only with serious pixel peeping, and often would not be visible at all.

But I guess the strong errors some people have found are caused by the axis of at least one element not pointing exactly along the lens axis, but in an angle to this. Then even very small deviations may result in strong reduction of IQ.

05-27-2016, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #245
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote

But I guess the strong errors some people have found are caused by the axis of at least one element not pointing exactly along the lens axis, but in an angle to this. Then even very small deviations may result in strong reduction of IQ.
Yep, and Cicala points out that modern, heavily'corrected lenses have a lot of elements .... there's more to go wrong.

05-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #246

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
A friend of mine using Carl Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon for astrophotography and he's using it without any problem at infinity focus since Day 1. Perhaps it's a matter of bad / good copy.
I have a ZE and ZF 50/1.4 Planar that are well decentered since day 1 too
05-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
Anyone with intimate Sigma knowledge around? What happened to the 12-24 lens? Why's it out of production?
When I purchased the Sigma 12-24 a year ago directly from the USA rep, he indicated that all the original K-mount 12-24 lenses were being liquidated as Refurbished although most of them were simply new unsold when Sigma switched over to the HSM II version a few years ago. The reason for marking brand-new product as Refurbished was in order to provide only a 90-day warranty (essentially enough time to determine the QC). Obviously, Sigma doesn't want to support warranty work on a lens that has been out of production for years. Indeed, I got a decentered copy, and Sigma simply swapped out for a good copy.

It isn't surprising that Sigma had difficultly selling these lenses for Pentax. Even though a good copy is a bit stronger than the Pentax 12-24 (as evidenced in the direct comparison in the in-depth review here), a lot of poor copies showed up in various tests. Ultimately, the Sigma isn't a great fit for crop sensor, especially when their UWA crop lenses are smaller, at least a bit faster, and less expensive.

In direct answer to the question, the HSM II is still in production in the more-popular mounts. I suppose the second version could end up with a K-mount production run, but the K-1 would have to go truly gang-busters for that to happen. The new version has considerably more distortion, but is a bit better in terms of overall sharpness and less field curvature. It is pretty apparent that Sigma QC has improved in recent years, as well. The original is a better lens for architectural use, and for those who highly prize rectilinear projection. Frankly, that isn't a priority for me, but the lens is impressive in that regard.

05-29-2016, 12:44 AM   #248
Veteran Member

They had a 15% discount here in sweden on samyang lense. So I got the 14/2.8 and im very pleased at that price point its a steal
05-29-2016, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #249

Photos: Gallery
I use the Samyang 14mm f/2.8. If you AE happy to manually focus, its a great lens for the money.Some shots taken with my K1 at my Flickr photo steam.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_m_sexton/
05-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #250

I cannot imagine what You shoot - but 35mm is the normal wide angle for FF.

That and a 85 or 100 mm - nowadays a modern macro - in the pocket is all you need for 95% of all shooting .......however You must move some meters now and then!!

Are You reinventing photographing or trying to get first price somewhere?

(In that way You may skip the normal 50mm and ALWAYS have the camera with You!!! It worked in the sixties and for sure even now! - more keepers - less weight - that is.)

Last edited by Gutta Perka; 05-29-2016 at 03:14 PM.
05-29-2016, 11:30 PM   #251

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave Sexton Quote
I use the Samyang 14mm f/2.8. If you AE happy to manually focus, its a great lens for the money.Some shots taken with my K1 at my Flickr photo steam.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_m_sexton/

Great shots Dave. Is yours a Samyang, Bower or Rokinon? I have the Rokinon version and my gripe with it are ugly (flared) starbursts. Yours are slightly better than mine, they are fine and focused, mine disperse more and not very pretty... I am wondering if the aperture is different in the 2 variants.

Also I notice not all the shots in your stream are Samyang (again witnessed from the Starburst pattern) a couple seem to have prettier patterns... almost like a D-FA 15-30mm or 24-70 perhaps?

Last edited by K-amps; 05-30-2016 at 12:03 AM.
05-30-2016, 07:18 AM   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
I cannot imagine what You shoot - but 35mm is the normal wide angle for FF.

That and a 85 or 100 mm - nowadays a modern macro - in the pocket is all you need for 95% of all shooting .......however You must move some meters now and then!!

Are You reinventing photographing or trying to get first price somewhere?

(In that way You may skip the normal 50mm and ALWAYS have the camera with You!!! It worked in the sixties and for sure even now! - more keepers - less weight - that is.)
+1

In the seventies, when I worked with 2 Exa/Exakta bodies and a 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm lens, I only occasionally missed something slightly wider (mainly for landscape and architecture).
When, beginning of the eighties, I switched to Pentax, for a long time I had only a SMC-A 1.4/50 (expandable with a 2x TC) and 2 zooms (Tokina 35-70/2.8, and something like 28-105). When I saw a used Makinon 24mm for a reasonable price, I bought it out of curiousity. I sold it after just one roll, because IQ was just not acceptable. But the experience with 24mm on FF told me that wide would (for my kind of shooting) only make sense as a shift lens. I also found that, at the rare occasions I would need 24mm, that lens would most likely still be at home. I never liked carrying a lot of stuff with me.

Now, on APS-C, my widest lenses are the WR kit and the film era Cosina 19-35 AF (which is quite good, but unfortunately has a mustache distortion on the wide end, which is nearly impossible to correct in post). I have thought about buying the DA 16-45 for the rare cases I need it, but I am afraid if I don't know for sure I will need it, I would rather have the kit lens with me.

On FF (my experience with film) any lens wider than 24mm would only get use 1-2 times a year. To buy one, for me would be a waste of money.
06-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #253

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Preordering or not, but I will get K-1, and I realized that I don't have any wide lens for it, only old M45 Vivitar 20mm f3.8. It's a great lens, but adding wide AF would be a plus.

I really did not pay attention to wide lens selection, except I wanted DA15mm ltd, now it's not the priority
Any recommendations for any AF generation wide lenses, primes or zooms for FF?
Just got a nice FA 20-35mm/4 for ours...very happy with IQ so far, and far cheaper and lighter than the 15-30. Our walkabout set will be that and the FA 43, plus maybe a DA 70 for more reach. Each of them give my pixie wife a combo that's as easy to carry as her K-3 with Sigma 10-20 or 17-50. If you need extra wide and clear, there's the Samyang 14mm.
06-02-2016, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #254
edo
Forum Member

Pentax FA 50mm 1.7 is highly recommended, I am starting to prefer it to the 1.4.

It's very light, doesn't need a hood so it's very compact. And the IQ is so good even wide open. Less lateral and longitudinal CA wide open. It's sharper at f2.0 and faster.

The F version seems more available is highly recommended for a fast cheap prime.
06-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #255

QuoteOriginally posted by edo Quote
Pentax FA 50mm 1.7 is highly recommended, I am starting to prefer it to the 1.4.

It's very light, doesn't need a hood so it's very compact. And the IQ is so good even wide open. Less lateral and longitudinal CA wide open. It's sharper at f2.0 and faster.

The F version seems more available is highly recommended for a fast cheap prime.
Now I'm also back - I bought that very lens myself - after a long search
I'm home again - it started in the fifties with a Kodak Retina 1b - with a German lens lens- Schneider Kreutznach - Retina-Xenar 50mm/2.8.
With my Focotar lens in the darkroom I was in par with those snobs with Leica 50mm's or 35'ivers.
Sitting here on my shelf now - In the beginning of the seventies it became a Pentax Spotmatic.

With the K-1 and that FA 50/1.7 I'm home again. Thank heavens. More than in par with the M50/1.7.

50mm is on an FF camera - Perspective naturalis, presence naturalis and with some tiny steps for or backward - the right place that is - both a wide-angle and a sort of tele.

In that way also easy to carry.

Did I say sharp and AF?
Sorry I just own an Epson 3880!

OK - Why not throw in a cropped photo taken on the wall of a no-framed pic of some children 1977.
Light was wrong - shadows under the jaws etc etc - but presence. That is a pic of a pic - still sharp!
Lens either the 50 or with the 2x TC - I don't care. Just had those lenses that year.
They now have 3 plus 4 own kids.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by Gutta Perka; 06-02-2016 at 09:21 AM.