Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #271
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
One could hope.
Hope is good. I suspect there will be more support from new lens makers rather than the 'old guard'. Samyang and Venus Optics for example.

06-08-2016, 12:07 AM   #272
Kiwi Pentaxian

Zeiss ZK 21/2.8 - not AF, it acts like a A lens. Rarer than hens teeth, and as a result expensive if you do find one, but extremely highly regarded WA lens.
06-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #273
Forum Member

K1 + DFA 24-70 @24mm

@24mm. Shifted down +5 (so that the shadow of the light house is not truncated and more balanced).
And 5s was too short, so 3 shots multiple exposure to smoothen the basin water after some canoes went past the area.
06-11-2016, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #274
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
The new Irix 15mm lens is supposed to overcome that problem, allowing the user to dial in the infinity stop on the lens, suited to their camera, allowing perfect infinity stop every time. Also, it will have a focus lock allowing a user to set a focus distance and lock it off, for say helicopter use or reportage etc.

I tell you, when this Irix lens arrives, if it delivers image quality wise, then it's going to wake up the big boys like Zeiss because they have thought of a lot of the common issues we all have.
I dropped Irix an email; when we can expect the lens and this was the answer:

Hi,
We are aiming for the summertime period.
Please subscribe to Irix newsletter to stay tuned! Visit Irix. Prepare for more

Best regards,
The Irix Team

So it could be between the 1th june and 31th of august. Not to long but still....

---------- Post added 06-11-16 at 09:19 AM ----------

Just found a Pentax-A Zoom 24-50 for my K-1. Not to bad.

06-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #275
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bernard Yeo Quote
Shifted down +5
What is meant by this?
06-12-2016, 04:03 AM   #276
Forum Member

It's the composition adjustment function in K1. You can do shift photography to a certain degree. Please also note that not all lenses will work. I really think that the new DFA lenses have that aspect taken into consideration.
06-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #277
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
The new Irix 15mm lens is supposed to overcome that problem, allowing the user to dial in the infinity stop on the lens, suited to their camera, allowing perfect infinity stop every time. Also, it will have a focus lock allowing a user to set a focus distance and lock it off, for say helicopter use or reportage etc.

I tell you, when this Irix lens arrives, if it delivers image quality wise, then it's going to wake up the big boys like Zeiss because they have thought of a lot of the common issues we all have.
I emailed them. The Pentax mount ones will only be scheduled after the Canikons versions are out,
06-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #278
Site Supporter

It's the composition adjustment function in K1. You can do shift photography to a certain degree.
Thank you, that is what I thought but wanted to be sure. Do you find this useful on a regular basis?

Very nice image by the way, good job on smoothing the water.

06-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #279
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Thank you, that is what I thought but wanted to be sure. Do you find this useful on a regular basis?

Very nice image by the way, good job on smoothing the water.
Thanks, John.

How I wished Pentax came up with their set of Tilt Shift Lenses! I will buy a 17-18mm TS lense from Pentax (if they make one) immediately.

This feature was already there in K5 if I don't remember wrongly, but we don't have a lot of wide glasses that will have made it work well.

So yes, if I can deploy this on a regular basis, I will, to get the composition I want. In this case, without the composition adjustment, the reflection would have been slightly truncated, and I wouldn't want that.

Last edited by Bernard Yeo; 06-13-2016 at 07:37 PM.
06-13-2016, 11:54 PM   #280

This feature was already there in K5 if I don't remember wrongly
Correct.

One wonders what the two added axes are that the SR mechanism in the K-1 offers. The K-5 already could move the sensor in x- and y-direction and rotate it around the z-axis.
Rotation around the x- and y-axis would be great (as this is tilt), but highly improbable, there's a shutter in front of it ...

How I wished Pentax came up with their set of Tilt Shift Lenses!
There is a 24mm TS lens made by Samyang (sold re-badged as Walimex, Rokinon, Vivitar or whatever) that's supposed to be quite useable.

Review: Samyang/Rokinon 24mm f/3.5 Tilt-Shift Lens

18 mm TS on the K-1 would be kinda expensive, just look for the pricing of the 17mm TS made by Canon ...

The 24mm TS by Samyang in comparison is a rock bottom bargain for roughly 800 EUR
06-14-2016, 12:41 AM   #281
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
Correct.

One wonders what the two added axes are that the SR mechanism in the K-1 offers. The K-5 already could move the sensor in x- and y-direction and rotate it around the z-axis.
Rotation around the x- and y-axis would be great (as this is tilt), but highly improbable, there's a shutter in front of it ...
The 5 axes are the camera-motions corrected for. They are not 5 axes of movement of the sensor.

See the explanation here.
06-14-2016, 01:00 AM - 4 Likes   #282
Kiwi Pentaxian

A while ago I made a list of every tilt shift lens I could find that was available for Pentax K mount.

The list is below, I hope this helps your deliberations

Ross
Attached Images

06-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #283
Site Supporter

Voigtländer Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5

Maybe not the best ultra wide angle lens around technically, I nevertheless completed my planned (preliminary?) K-1 wide-angle set with a lens so far not mentioned here: A new Voigtländer Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 arrived from Hongkong yesterday. The others are an F28 f/2.8 and a Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 (excellent range for city/town, more useful than my 8-16mm on APSC was), and currently a rarely used Samyang 8mm fisheye, but that might get replaced, just need to figure out with which one. Together with the D-FA28-105mm, I have a fairly competent minimal landscape set for hikes without much weight.

The Color Skopar is in almost all respects the exact equivalent of the DA 15mm ltd. on fullframe so loved by many as shown in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html when it comes to the compromises made in its design. It's a tiny, well-built ultra-wide lens intended mostly for landscape use with the aperture closed down a few stops and, important for me, extremely flare-resistant. The main difference to the DA15 is lack of auto-focus. To compare details of the two, I used FF shots from the CS20 scaled up 200% and APSC crop shots from the DA15 scaled up 300% for the same apparent size on screen. As expected, the field of view on the CS20 on FF is slightly wider than the DA15 on APSC, but the DA15 would just cover the same angle if you cropped manually.

Even though the optical construction is fairly different, the two seem to render in a very similar way. Both have excellent center sharpness and contrast throughout their aperture range, but require ~f/8 for the corners to catch up when you need them. Even the character of the dominating aberrations are the same: strong field curvature and significant coma. Chromatic aberrations are very similar in magnitude, just color-wise the CS20's contours are purple whereas the DA15's are red. Nothing to worry about with either lens though. I'd say the CS20 is slightly more prone to purple fringing than the (HD-) DA15, but I'll confirm that with some other subjects. From a first look, the close-ups from the CS20 look even better than from the DA15. Colors are slightly warmer than the (HD-) DA colors.

So why bother and not continue to use the DA15 in crop mode? The CS20 on FF definitely delivers in terms of additional detail and, using the full sensor, should also help with dynamic range. The manual focus of the CS20 has a nice long throw which makes the depth of field scale easier readable than the DA15's, which often is more important to me than AF as I shoot the DA15 mainly manually focused. One difference which really bothers me is that unlike most of my other primes (F28, DA35, F50/1.7, D-FA50, DA70, D-FA100), the CS20 needs 52mm filters and so far I don't have any 52mm ND filter.

I chose the Color Skopar over chasing a M20 f/4 as I could get a brand new lens for not much more than I would have had to pay for a beaten M20mm f/4 currently, and because it is available without having to spend a lot of time searching. Maybe I keep my eyes open to complete the 49mm threaded prime set. The f/2.8 Pentax lenses (A,FA20) are already bigger and all three (M/A/FA) don't seem to enjoy the same flare resistance as the CS20, as far as I can tell from published sample pictures and reviews.

06-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #284
Forum Member

FA* 24mm

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
SMC Pentax-FA* 24mm F2 AL [IF] Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I am really looking forward to attaching my FA* 24mm to my pre-ordered K-1 to go shutter-bugging about.
yes, best wide angle combo on Pentax.

I sometimes use a forgotten Sigma EX DG 20-40mm f2.8 , superior to the FA 20mm @20mm in every means. and which is a very versatile and high quality wide to normal zoom.

the 15-30mm HD is certainly great and worth the price, but using filters with it must be a pain.
06-25-2016, 12:22 AM - 2 Likes   #285
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phat_bog Quote
yes, best wide angle combo on Pentax.

I sometimes use a forgotten Sigma EX DG 20-40mm f2.8 , superior to the FA 20mm @20mm in every means. and which is a very versatile and high quality wide to normal zoom.

the 15-30mm HD is certainly great and worth the price, but using filters with it must be a pain.
I think I am sold on DFA 15-30.

Enjoying every minute of it.

k1+15-30 @15mm

Pictured here, the Ritz on the left, the Arts Science Museum with the accompanying Marina Band Sands.