Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #301
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
FA 21? I can't find any reference to that lens.
FA 20 as you probably understood

07-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Really felt the need for something wider than 24mm. The widest I currently have is an A series 24-50/4. I really like the 24-50/4, but really wished it were easier to use with a hood.

So, I want ahead and purchased a Rokinon 14/2.8 from B&H. Have only had it a few days and so far, I'm not terribly impressed. In fact, it is quite a disappointment.

I'll reserve judgement for a while longer and will try to give it a better workout this weekend, including a few brick walls, if I can find any.
Please don't hate me. I sent it back and ordered the D FA 15-30/2.8 instead. The Pentax lens is a whole lot more expensive, but I have yet to be disappointed with a Pentax product, (well, except for a well-used A50/2.0 which was so sloppy that I sent it back right away). I just couldn't get the Rokinon to focus correctly and didn't want to mess with resetting the infinity focus and calibrating the focus ring. Those things should be done at the factory before it leaves.

Also, I didn't mention before that I really didn't like the colors produced by the Rokinon. A side-by-side comparison of the colors captured with my A24-50/4 and the Rokinon show a world of difference. The Rokinon colors are flat, uneven, and uninspiring. The Pentax colors just pop out at you, want to grab you and pull you into the frame.

Yeah, the Rokinon is inexpensive, I was just hoping it wasn't cheap too.
07-08-2016, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #303
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Can you point me to how I'd check for decentering?
Yep ... here's one method that doesn't involve an optical testing bench ...

At a relatively short distance, tape a newspaper to a wall and take shots from a tripod at f8 when you're absolutely perpendicular to it. Turn the camera 180 degrees (90 degrees if you've a ball head may be very easy) and take more shots.

Do the same to a brick wall at a greater distance - the bigger, the better, but you still want to fill the frame. Again, you must be absolutely 'square-on'.

Now pixel peep the shots - look for a softer side.

If the soft area doesn't rotate to follow your camera movement, it's probably your error.

If it does, send it back, get another copy - a retailer will know the drill, keep the photos as evidence if required.

The shop didn't bother to test it before selling, they won't contradict you.
07-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #304
Pentaxian

I have one of those Rokinons waiting for me at home. Hopefully mine will be ok! My 8/3.5 has been great on crop gear.

07-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #305

As much as i am loving the k1, i gotta be honest here. The only thing that makes me debate switching back to crop sensor is the lack of an ultra wide angle lens that can use a filter.

The sigma 10-20 f/3.5 was an awesome lens and worked super well for me. One of the reasons i switched over was to take advantage of the extra realestate on my lenses. Though i see the difference on a 50mm, that difference is not evident on the wider side.

Living in canada, where not too many stores carry rokinon, i cant keep buying, testing, and returning the lens to b&h and pay more in shipping than the lens

The 15-30, though a usefull range, is rather useless to me without filter capability at a compact level.

For landscape during day time, i really dont see any advantage of owning a pentax full frame over a crop camera. At night, absoluetly, a HUGE difference. Day time, not so much
07-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #306
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
As much as i am loving the k1, i gotta be honest here. The only thing that makes me debate switching back to crop sensor is the lack of an ultra wide angle lens that can use a filter.

The sigma 10-20 f/3.5 was an awesome lens and worked super well for me. One of the reasons i switched over was to take advantage of the extra realestate on my lenses. Though i see the difference on a 50mm, that difference is not evident on the wider side.

Living in canada, where not too many stores carry rokinon, i cant keep buying, testing, and returning the lens to b&h and pay more in shipping than the lens

The 15-30, though a usefull range, is rather useless to me without filter capability at a compact level.

For landscape during day time, i really dont see any advantage of owning a pentax full frame over a crop camera. At night, absoluetly, a HUGE difference. Day time, not so much
I get your point. Bu we can expect that Pentax will release a wide-angle prime in 2017? I remember it was on the lens roadmap.
07-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #307

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I get your point. Bu we can expect that Pentax will release a wide-angle prime in 2017? I remember it was on the lens roadmap.

Perhaps. What we are looking for:
A ultra wide angle-non fish eye lens
That is a fast lens
That can handle filters

Going by what other companies are offering in rectalinier ultra wide angle lenses, and seeing how they all have the bulbuous front element, putting filters on the front wont work as easily.

As such, they NEED to put a rear gel filter.

Im hoping the irix lens wont be as infamous for decentered lenses as the rokinon
07-10-2016, 03:33 AM   #308
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the reasons i switched over was to take advantage of the extra realestate on my lenses. Though i see the difference on a 50mm, that difference is not evident on the wider side.
The wide angles end up much wider!

I love my Samyang 24mm BTW, which takes filters.

I have the 14mm as well as the FA20-35 and K28 f3.5. People have made other great suggestions in these twenty odd pages.

07-10-2016, 03:36 AM   #309
Loyal Site Supporter

For landscape during day time, i really dont see any advantage of owning a pentax full frame over a crop camera.
Well, dynamic range, for starters!
07-10-2016, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #310
Pentaxian

The FA 20-35 is starting to grow on me...

07-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #311
Veteran Member

Received my D FA 15-30/2.8 last night and have only grabbed a couple of snapshots. I like this lens a whole lot better than the Rokinon. Other than it is one heavy sucker and awkward to hand-hold, (due to its short physical length and weight).

Excuse me while I go out and hunt up two more employers willing to hire me so that I can pay for the thing.
07-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #312
edo
Forum Member

I was in Barcelona and got with me K1, F35-80, F17-28 fisheye, and DA*55 in FF mode.

Just want to say that kreping it light makes a more enjoyable time.

With tripod this kit is at the extreme limit weight wise.

The fish eye was extremely great! And at 23-28mm I clean all distortion and get extreme wide FOV.

Very sharp!
07-16-2016, 12:29 AM   #313

17-28

Yay for 17-28 fisheye, on my second one now - they are fragile and I will buy another when I break this one.

QuoteOriginally posted by edo Quote
I was in Barcelona and got with me K1, F35-80, F17-28 fisheye, and DA*55 in FF mode.

Just want to say that kreping it light makes a more enjoyable time.

With tripod this kit is at the extreme limit weight wise.

The fish eye was extremely great! And at 23-28mm I clean all distortion and get extreme wide FOV.

Very sharp!
07-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #314
edo
Forum Member

Hehe, that little lens is producing what seems to me like stunning shot. I got too much wides, normals, telephoto pentax jewels, but this one is unique! I wish I bought it earlier! Oh wait no I didn't shot a film FF pentax in such a long time! So yeah, K1 kind of made of this lens a brand new interest
07-16-2016, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #315
Site Supporter

Please follow the link to the Singapore Pentax users group.

The Pentax K1 Thread! - Post all your K1 picts and impressions