Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sharing of the voigtlander Color Skopar SLII 20mm F3.5
Think it is a good travel lens for a wide angle lens.

(Uploaded the full size on flickr)

07-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #317
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ranchy Quote
Sharing of the voigtlander Color Skopar SLII 20mm F3.5
Think it is a good travel lens for a wide angle lens.
Are you happy with the image quality? Just asking as it is a lens I have considered looking at for landscape photography.

Ross
07-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Are you happy with the image quality? Just asking as it is a lens I have considered looking at for landscape photography.

Ross

Hi Ross, i am currently happy with the image quality. For the size, i can't really complain much about it.
I only own this lens for 2 weeks only, so it is only based on the few tries i have used it.

I believe it will make a good landscape lens.

I have a Sigma 17-35 and i felt it is out perform by the CV20. I won't say that the CV20 edges are the best, but it is still acceptable for me.

I manage to try the DA15-30 during a Hands on Session for K1, i think this is the best lens out there, but the size of it, way too big.
07-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #319
edo
Forum Member

I really hope Pentax will be more consumer oriented than pros and offer a 15-30 f4 more sooner than later!
For me too, weight and size is just too much for all those 2.8 DFAs.

07-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #320
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Ross, i am currently happy with the image quality. For the size, i can't really complain much about it.
I only own this lens for 2 weeks only, so it is only based on the few tries i have used it.

I have a Sigma 17-35 and i felt it is out perform by the CV20. I won't say that the CV20 edges are the best, but it is still acceptable for me.

I manage to try the DA15-30 during a Hands on Session for K1, i think this is the best lens out there, but the size of it, way too big.
Thanks for those comments, that is really helpful.

I have looked at the spec's for the DA15-30, as you say the weight is a real factor. I do a lot of my photography while travelling so try to keep my kits small and light
07-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #321
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for those comments, that is really helpful.

I have looked at the spec's for the DA15-30, as you say the weight is a real factor. I do a lot of my photography while travelling so try to keep my kits small and light
07-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #322
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I want to make sure I understand your evaluation. Did you mean to say the 15-30 out-performed the IQ of the CV 20, but you prefer the CV anyway because it is so much compact/lighter?

07-18-2016, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #323
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I want to make sure I understand your evaluation. Did you mean to say the 15-30 out-performed the IQ of the CV 20, but you prefer the CV anyway because it is so much compact/lighter?
I would say yes, I felt the IQ of 15-30 does out perform CV20, especially on edges (based on my short time of try out on the 15-30). But if you compare size and weight, of course CV20 is the best option out there. Plus i am not so stringent on my landscape shots.
07-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #324
Veteran Member

voigtlander Color Skopar SLII 20mm F3.5 again

Uploaded the full size..
07-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #325
Pentaxian

I would say yes, I felt the IQ of 15-30 does out perform CV20, especially on edges (based on my short time of try out on the 15-30). But if you compare size and weight, of course CV20 is the best option out there. Plus i am not so stringent on my landscape shots.
Your copy is exceptional to say the least.
I've seen the edges on 2 copies (one on the K1, the other a Canon version on the A7) and they are poorer on the edges.

So congrats.

For those thinking of this lens, as with the Pentax M20/4, my advise is to go in knowing that all such things are tradeoffs.
Size and portability (and saving one's back) vs Perfect IQ, speed (and maybe looking more macho with a big lens)
07-21-2016, 07:26 AM   #326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Your copy is exceptional to say the least.
I've seen the edges on 2 copies (one on the K1, the other a Canon version on the A7) and they are poorer on the edges.
My own copy was also less than stellar on the edges, but at that time I was using the K7. I asked Raunchy about the lenses because I was wondering if the K1 was possibly bringing out qualities of the CV 20 my K7 didn't. My curiosity stems from observing how stunning the Voigtlander 58mm is on the K1, far better than on my K7 or K3.
07-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #327
Forum Member

Still looking

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Preordering or not, but I will get K-1, and I realized that I don't have any wide lens for it, only old M45 Vivitar 20mm f3.8. It's a great lens, but adding wide AF would be a plus.

I really did not pay attention to wide lens selection, except I wanted DA15mm ltd, now it's not the priority :)
Any recommendations for any AF generation wide lenses, primes or zooms for FF?

Finding the right lens is very frustrating. Most of the Pentax "digital D" lenses are designed for an aps-c sensor. That defeats the purpose of your buying a K-1 in the first place. Most of the FA lenses were designed for film cameras. I can tell you from extensive experience with Canon DSLRs that lenses designed for film use are usually disappointments when used with a digital sensor. A digital sensor is covered with little tiny "wells" that light must go down into. A digital designed lens adjusts for that and does not have near as much angle of approach of the light rays to the outer part of the sensor. Film is flat and will register light hitting it from any angle. The worst problem with film is "cosine loss" that results in gradual darkening toward the edge of the frame. That same angle causes more problems than light loss with a digital sensor.
Pentax makes one new wide angle ZOOM designed for full frame and designed for digital sensor. If you can deal with the large bulbous front element on the 15-30 lens then you are in like Flynn. If not, then you are waiting, like me, for somebody to design a full frame, wide angle, weather resistant, digitally optimized lens for a K-1. Right now I use their new and very excellent 100mm macro for everything I can. I use another camera for everything else.
07-21-2016, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #328
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscracker Quote
. I can tell you from extensive experience with Canon DSLRs that lenses designed for film use are usually disappointments when used with a digital sensor. .
You haven't been paying attention to what others have posted here? 😀

07-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscracker Quote
I can tell you from extensive experience with Canon DSLRs that lenses designed for film use are usually disappointments when used with a digital sensor.
Sad for Canon. However, my extensive experience with Pentax DSLRs indicates that lenses designed for film use work just fine on digital. I do have the DFA 24-70 but most of my other lenses are Pentax-F, designed for film but doing just wonderful on digital, thank you.
07-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shhhhhh. That's our little secret until we all have every legacy lens we want *

* K500/4.5 inbound