Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #61
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 1,092
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yeah, the K18 is better, but I don't think I've ever seen one for sale in the wild.
There presently is one on German eBay, for a fixed price of €400.

SMC Pentax Asahi 3,5/18mm | eBay

EDIT: I just saw he is offering it only for within EU.

02-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,426
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
There presently is one on German eBay, for a fixed price of 400.

SMC Pentax Asahi 3,5/18mm | eBay

EDIT: I just saw he is offering it only for within EU.
Thanks for the link!!

With the recent promotion of a certain camera body to the top of my wish list I think the K18 goes to the end of the line once again.
02-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #63
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Monterey County, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 87
According to Dxomark, The Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG Art lens is the best lens for a FF Pentax.
02-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #64
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 27,582
QuoteOriginally posted by dfp771 Quote
According to Dxomark, The Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG Art lens is the best lens for a FF Pentax.
That should mean then the Sigma 30mm 1.4 DG should be good too.

02-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #65
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 81
The Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye is an option, LR can reduce the distortion and the lens is fairly compact - though that is probably due to it being screwdrive AF. I like its compactness on the K5, but am looking forward to giving it a spin on the K1 at its proper coverage!
02-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #66
Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,076
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
That should mean then the Sigma 30mm 1.4 DG should be good too.
I did not have luck to find that lens, only DC (for cropped format), but never for FF. It's a great lens, although it's a bit back focusing on my K5iis wide open (not in LV).
02-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #67
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arlington, MA
Posts: 135
For autofocus, I've got the FA 20-35mm and FA-J 18-35mm. I got the 20-35 because it has much lower distortion than the FA 20mm. (Although the FA 20mm is so cute, and I just have this philosophical problem with zooms.) Manual focus, I have A 15mm and A 20mm. Shouldn't be hard to manual focus them.
02-23-2016, 12:01 AM   #68
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 106
okay, question for you folks. i got a sigma 10-20mm f3.5 lens that is designed for aps-c filter cameras. i LOVE this guy for many reasons. one, the ultra wide shots, and two, to be able to use an ND filter on it.

now, what is the equivalent of that lens for the FF cameras? the 14mm rokinon looks delicious, but not being able to use an ND filter or a CP filter is kind of a buzz kill for me. i understand the 15-30mm tamron is the same thing; unable to use any filters on it.

not looking for a fisheye either due to the exaggerated distortion.

and the 10-20mm, would it be considered wide, or ultra wide on a full frame? going by the crop factor, i'm assuming the 10-20mm (crop factor of 1.5) is 15-30...unless i'm doing my math wrong?

but yeah, heres what i'm looking for: something i can use filters on; something i can shoot stars with; something that is wide for a group shot/building/something big

thanks in advance

02-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,942
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
okay, question for you folks. i got a sigma 10-20mm f3.5 lens that is designed for aps-c filter cameras. i LOVE this guy for many reasons. one, the ultra wide shots, and two, to be able to use an ND filter on it.

now, what is the equivalent of that lens for the FF cameras? the 14mm rokinon looks delicious, but not being able to use an ND filter or a CP filter is kind of a buzz kill for me. i understand the 15-30mm tamron is the same thing; unable to use any filters on it.

not looking for a fisheye either due to the exaggerated distortion.

and the 10-20mm, would it be considered wide, or ultra wide on a full frame? going by the crop factor, i'm assuming the 10-20mm (crop factor of 1.5) is 15-30...unless i'm doing my math wrong?

but yeah, heres what i'm looking for: something i can use filters on; something i can shoot stars with; something that is wide for a group shot/building/something big

thanks in advance
In terms of field of view, the new Pentax 15-30 should be essentially identical to the 10-20. Will it take filters? No clue.

---------- Post added 02-23-16 at 10:41 AM ----------

Oh, and wide vs ultrawide aren't just arbitrary designations - there's math (or at least, a firm definition) behind it:

If the focal length is less than the longer side of the image sensor/film, it's wide. If it's less than the shorter side of the image sensor/film, it's ultrawide.

The Pentax APS-C cameras have 23.5mm x 15.6mm. So roughly 16-24mm is wide, and smaller than 16 is ultrawide.

Full frame/35mm film is 36mm x 24mm. So 24-36mm is wide, and smaller than 24 is ultrawide.
02-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #70
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,434
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
In terms of field of view, the new Pentax 15-30 should be essentially identical to the 10-20. Will it take filters? No clue.
No, it won't take filters due to the "bubble" front element. It's the same issue with the Sigma 12-24 and 15-30. Which is unfortunate, because I really love the rendering of the Tamron version, but I MUST be able to use CPL and ND filters.

I have an FA20-35, but I don't often use it because of red fringing issues. If I have any high contrast areas, they really flare up. I also have a Sigma 20-40 that I really love, but it has horrible issues with flare. I'm worried my newly acquired Sigma 24-60 may have the same issues, since it's kind of a Sigma idiosyncrasy. I once owned a Sigma 24-70 Macro, but images above f11 really suffered from diffraction and I need f16 frequently.

I may end up with the new Pentax 24-70, and I have a feeling that will be one of the best options for wide angle K-1 shots. I have been contemplating finding an FA20, but I rarely shoot that wide now, preferring to stitch a panorama together to avoid the distortion issues.

So my vote goes to the Pentax 24-70. It's readily available, handles flare well, very good IQ and a modern lens design.

I'm just very very sad I won't be able to use my Tamron 17-50 any more. Talk about an awesome lens!
02-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #71
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 106
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
No, it won't take filters due to the "bubble" front element. It's the same issue with the Sigma 12-24 and 15-30. Which is unfortunate, because I really love the rendering of the Tamron version, but I MUST be able to use CPL and ND filters.

I have an FA20-35, but I don't often use it because of red fringing issues. If I have any high contrast areas, they really flare up. I also have a Sigma 20-40 that I really love, but it has horrible issues with flare. I'm worried my newly acquired Sigma 24-60 may have the same issues, since it's kind of a Sigma idiosyncrasy. I once owned a Sigma 24-70 Macro, but images above f11 really suffered from diffraction and I need f16 frequently.

I may end up with the new Pentax 24-70, and I have a feeling that will be one of the best options for wide angle K-1 shots. I have been contemplating finding an FA20, but I rarely shoot that wide now, preferring to stitch a panorama together to avoid the distortion issues.

So my vote goes to the Pentax 24-70. It's readily available, handles flare well, very good IQ and a modern lens design.

I'm just very very sad I won't be able to use my Tamron 17-50 any more. Talk about an awesome lens!


nice, so i'm not the only one stuck in this. the 10-20mm sigma, another reason why i love it so much is due to its fixed f3.5 which helps tremendously in low light situations. guess there is nothing really like that for the full frame that can take filters as well. shooting waterfalls with an ND filter makes a difference between a 'good' shot and 'wow' shot.

i could always get the 14mm rokinon for night photography, and then get the lens you mentioned for waterfalls stuff
02-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Fenwoodian's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,274
I have a Sigma 18 - 35mm f/1.8 lens. It works great on my K3ii.

I love the square format and was glad to see that the K1 offers it. I am hopeful that my Sigma 18-35mm lens will work nicely on the K1 when in the 1:1 crop mode.

This webpage shows that the Sigma 18-35mm lens would likely fully cover a 1:1 crop on a full frame sensor from 22mm to 35mm!
02-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,019
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
No, it won't take filters due to the "bubble" front element. It's the same issue with the Sigma 12-24 and 15-30. Which is unfortunate, because I really love the rendering of the Tamron version, but I MUST be able to use CPL and ND filters.
That's what Cokins are for. ☺
02-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,942
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's what Cokins are for. ☺
and very expensive cokins at that - you'll need the X-Pro size.
Sigma 8-16mm filter adapter options and solutions

There's always the rear filter option. Not sure if it will have a gel holder in the back, but you can always DIY it:
This Simple Tutorial Will Show You How to Add Filtration to Any Lens Ever Made

not exactly handy for CPL, of course, but if you're doing a planned out shot, you can make it work.
02-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #75
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,602
Probably not the best but I have a FAJ 18-35 f/4-5.6 that I got for next to nothing. I don't have especially high hopes and it's probably the cheapest feeling lens I have ever touched but it does cover FF and is pretty wide. I've just tested to be sure it worked on crop gear and shelved it. If/when I get the K-1 I'll give it a real test.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
5d, af, angle lens, canon, crop, dslr, ff, filter, filters, full frame, full-frame, holder, image, k-1, k1, lens, lenses, macro, pentax, pentax k-1, samyang, sensor, tamron, ultrawide
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best sharp wide angle lens? (For wedding group shots) NeilGratton Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 36 07-06-2016 04:30 PM
Best Wide Angle Lens for Pentax Kx ArtyDiana Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 30 11-21-2014 07:40 AM
Best performing wide angle K mount lenses? Raffwal Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 09-24-2014 08:10 AM
Wanted - Acquired: Wide / Ultra Wide angle lens for my K-5 GWARmachine Sold Items 3 03-23-2013 12:03 AM
Best wide angle for K-5 IIs djc737 Pentax K-5 8 09-29-2012 08:14 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top