Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I have not gone through all the recommendations here, so excuse me it I repeat earlier posts.
4) The Tamron Adaptall 2 17mm had a very good reputation, and could be fitted with a PKA mount if you can find both.
I bought several smaller AdaptAll lenses in the past month, thinking they might work well with my Q-7; I also bought a PKA mount for them in case I wanted to try one of them with my K-30. At the time I spent roughly $50 for the PKA mount. Looking at possibly getting another mount for my K-30, I discovered that the price for the PKA variant is now up to almost $100 {and genuine Tamron PK mounts are roughly twice what they were last month also} . Prices for the lenses themselves are roughly the same as they were last month, so I'm thinking that K-1 purchasers must already be looking at AdaptAll lenses as another source of FF lenses.

03-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #122
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Don't ask why I have not done that before opening this thread Today I took out my old non working Spotmatic, and checked Vivitar 20mm on it. Omg, it's wide, it also looks beautiful on FF frame.
35mm is suddenly wide as well, and 70mm is more like something 40-ish mm.
No more new lenses till I test all my collection on FF. It will take time to adjust.
03-14-2016, 06:25 AM   #123
Pentaxian

I've had an FA*24 and FA20-35, I found the FA*24 to be better. Sharper wide open (in the centre at least, it was pin sharp) but the corners did not come up until around f5.6 or above really, I think it suffers from field curvature?
My only real downside of the FA*24 was that the finish was very delicate, seems very easy to scratch, and one of the reasons I sold my mint copy as I found I was not using it as I did not want to damage it.

A simple refresh of the FA*24 with WR would be a dream, just the right combination of speed, sharpness, size and weight. The modern 24mm lenses (Sigma Art, Samyang T/S etc) are huge.

Some kind of wide angle pancake would be a big selling point for Pentax, only really the rare Voigtlander 20mm f3.5 that fits that market. The old FA20 f2.8 is pretty darn compact too, if rare these days as well.
03-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #124
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just a reminder that Pentax will be releasing a DFA 28 -105mm lens soon. It's not an ultra-wide and it's not 2.8, but it might turn out to be a pretty decent lens. If one wants an affordable lens for occasional wide angle use, it may be just the thing.

03-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #125
Pentaxian

If you can get a well corrected copy, you simply cannot go wrong with the Samyang 2.8/14mm. I have one in K-mount and use it on the A7r via the Novoflex or Rayqual adapter (I advise using the Rayqual, it's got internal baffles which prevent light bouncing around inside the adapter). It is sharp, apart from the corners which smear a bit like any UWA lens. The colours are superb, especially blue skies which come out a deep blue.

It can be had for around 230 - 280 . . . which is quite stunning value.
03-25-2016, 08:37 AM   #126

The Sigma 12-24 mk.ii is not very sharp. You end up sharpening the shot in post and ruining it... the Samyang 14mm on the other hand is very sharp and detailed.
03-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #127
Veteran Member

After thinking long enough over this I will try the 12-24 I have on the K-1 and think additional to this lens I get a Samyang 14mm 2.4. saw a bunch of photos on samyang with Canon FF and liked what i saw
03-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
After thinking long enough over this I will try the 12-24 I have on the K-1 and think additional to this lens I get a Samyang 14mm 2.4. saw a bunch of photos on samyang with Canon FF and liked what i saw
David, try the Samyang first. It'll do what you need for tuppence. There's a couple of good lens profiles available for it in Lightroom which remove the moustache distortion. Works very well. You'll need to install the Adobe lens profile downloader as well as Adobe Air.

Last edited by HopelessTogger; 03-25-2016 at 02:02 PM.
03-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #129

I have the FA 20mm f2.8, which I found some years ago at a no-brainer price. Bought it with hopes that a Pentax FF would finally come true. I have used it on my K5 with good results.
Just some weeks after the first announcement of the Pentax FF (the mock-up) I stumbled over an A 15mm f3.5 at an equally good price. Then we've been waiting, the lens and I.
I can give a report on how they both perform on the K-1 body at the end of April, or maybe early May.

Kjell
03-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #130
Site Supporter

Wide angle question.

How about the 12mm to 24mm wide angle by Pentax?? Won't it work on the K-1??
03-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #131
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoramone Quote
How about the 12mm to 24mm wide angle by Pentax?? Won't it work on the K-1??
It will work, but it won't cover the full frame, so you'll be able to use the crop mode or crop your photos yourself afterwards...

-Eric
03-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #132
Site Supporter

Wide angle for K-1

No-one has said a word about the Pentax 12mm to 24mm wide angle for the Pentax K-1... Any thoughts on this combo??
03-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #133
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoramone Quote
No-one has said a word about the Pentax 12mm to 24mm wide angle for the Pentax K-1... Any thoughts on this combo??
That is because it is known not to cover the full frame.

DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF]: - (below 16mm, xitek.com), o (at 18mm, architorture), + (at 20mm, architorture), ++ (at 24mm, architorture)

Read more HERE
03-26-2016, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
David, try the Samyang first. It'll do what you need for tuppence. There's a couple of good lens profiles available for it in Lightroom which remove the moustache distortion. Works very well. You'll need to install the Adobe lens profile downloader as well as Adobe Air.
Thanks for your advice, mate! I read some things about the lens flares on samyang that are under some circumstances really nasty... but what I saw to date. This lens is a winner!

I already own the DA 12-24. I can attach my nd filter (screw-on-option, 77mm), if I need a long exposure I would loose 4mm focal length compared to the samyang. This is not so much but it should be noticeable shouldn't it?! Until the K1 arrives here I won't buy any lenses anymore (except some eBay bargains haha), then I will check how my current lineup performs and then I think about a lens-lineup modification that makes sense to my photography.
03-26-2016, 03:35 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
Thanks for your advice, mate! I read some things about the lens flares on samyang that are under some circumstances really nasty... but what I saw to date. This lens is a winner!

I already own the DA 12-24. I can attach my nd filter (screw-on-option, 77mm), if I need a long exposure I would loose 4mm focal length compared to the samyang. This is not so much but it should be noticeable shouldn't it?! Until the K1 arrives here I won't buy any lenses anymore (except some eBay bargains haha), then I will check how my current lineup performs and then I think about a lens-lineup modification that makes sense to my photography.
I think UWA's and flare go hand in hand, same for the Nikkor 14-24/2.8. If it's for landscape I tend to avoid UWA's for the most part. I use UWA's for stuff like this . . .

A7r with Samyang 14/2.8 in K-mount via a Rayqual adapter.

You can get a filter set for the Samyang. The filter holder is very poor quality mind, but I can't testify as to the quality of the filters.