Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yeah, the K18 is better, but I don't think I've ever seen one for sale in the wild.
There presently is one on German eBay, for a fixed price of €400.

SMC Pentax Asahi 3,5/18mm | eBay

EDIT: I just saw he is offering it only for within EU.

02-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
There presently is one on German eBay, for a fixed price of €400.

SMC Pentax Asahi 3,5/18mm | eBay

EDIT: I just saw he is offering it only for within EU.
Thanks for the link!!

With the recent promotion of a certain camera body to the top of my wish list I think the K18 goes to the end of the line once again.
02-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #63
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
According to Dxomark, The Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG Art lens is the best lens for a FF Pentax.
02-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dfp771 Quote
According to Dxomark, The Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG Art lens is the best lens for a FF Pentax.
That should mean then the Sigma 30mm 1.4 DG should be good too.

02-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #65
Pentaxian

The Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye is an option, LR can reduce the distortion and the lens is fairly compact - though that is probably due to it being screwdrive AF. I like its compactness on the K5, but am looking forward to giving it a spin on the K1 at its proper coverage!
02-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
That should mean then the Sigma 30mm 1.4 DG should be good too.
I did not have luck to find that lens, only DC (for cropped format), but never for FF. It's a great lens, although it's a bit back focusing on my K5iis wide open (not in LV).
02-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #67

For autofocus, I've got the FA 20-35mm and FA-J 18-35mm. I got the 20-35 because it has much lower distortion than the FA 20mm. (Although the FA 20mm is so cute, and I just have this philosophical problem with zooms.) Manual focus, I have A 15mm and A 20mm. Shouldn't be hard to manual focus them.

02-23-2016, 12:01 AM   #68
Veteran Member

okay, question for you folks. i got a sigma 10-20mm f3.5 lens that is designed for aps-c filter cameras. i LOVE this guy for many reasons. one, the ultra wide shots, and two, to be able to use an ND filter on it.

now, what is the equivalent of that lens for the FF cameras? the 14mm rokinon looks delicious, but not being able to use an ND filter or a CP filter is kind of a buzz kill for me. i understand the 15-30mm tamron is the same thing; unable to use any filters on it.

not looking for a fisheye either due to the exaggerated distortion.

and the 10-20mm, would it be considered wide, or ultra wide on a full frame? going by the crop factor, i'm assuming the 10-20mm (crop factor of 1.5) is 15-30...unless i'm doing my math wrong?

but yeah, heres what i'm looking for: something i can use filters on; something i can shoot stars with; something that is wide for a group shot/building/something big

thanks in advance
02-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
okay, question for you folks. i got a sigma 10-20mm f3.5 lens that is designed for aps-c filter cameras. i LOVE this guy for many reasons. one, the ultra wide shots, and two, to be able to use an ND filter on it.

now, what is the equivalent of that lens for the FF cameras? the 14mm rokinon looks delicious, but not being able to use an ND filter or a CP filter is kind of a buzz kill for me. i understand the 15-30mm tamron is the same thing; unable to use any filters on it.

not looking for a fisheye either due to the exaggerated distortion.

and the 10-20mm, would it be considered wide, or ultra wide on a full frame? going by the crop factor, i'm assuming the 10-20mm (crop factor of 1.5) is 15-30...unless i'm doing my math wrong?

but yeah, heres what i'm looking for: something i can use filters on; something i can shoot stars with; something that is wide for a group shot/building/something big

thanks in advance
In terms of field of view, the new Pentax 15-30 should be essentially identical to the 10-20. Will it take filters? No clue.

---------- Post added 02-23-16 at 10:41 AM ----------

Oh, and wide vs ultrawide aren't just arbitrary designations - there's math (or at least, a firm definition) behind it:

If the focal length is less than the longer side of the image sensor/film, it's wide. If it's less than the shorter side of the image sensor/film, it's ultrawide.

The Pentax APS-C cameras have 23.5mm x 15.6mm. So roughly 16-24mm is wide, and smaller than 16 is ultrawide.

Full frame/35mm film is 36mm x 24mm. So 24-36mm is wide, and smaller than 24 is ultrawide.
02-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
In terms of field of view, the new Pentax 15-30 should be essentially identical to the 10-20. Will it take filters? No clue.
No, it won't take filters due to the "bubble" front element. It's the same issue with the Sigma 12-24 and 15-30. Which is unfortunate, because I really love the rendering of the Tamron version, but I MUST be able to use CPL and ND filters.

I have an FA20-35, but I don't often use it because of red fringing issues. If I have any high contrast areas, they really flare up. I also have a Sigma 20-40 that I really love, but it has horrible issues with flare. I'm worried my newly acquired Sigma 24-60 may have the same issues, since it's kind of a Sigma idiosyncrasy. I once owned a Sigma 24-70 Macro, but images above f11 really suffered from diffraction and I need f16 frequently.

I may end up with the new Pentax 24-70, and I have a feeling that will be one of the best options for wide angle K-1 shots. I have been contemplating finding an FA20, but I rarely shoot that wide now, preferring to stitch a panorama together to avoid the distortion issues.

So my vote goes to the Pentax 24-70. It's readily available, handles flare well, very good IQ and a modern lens design.

I'm just very very sad I won't be able to use my Tamron 17-50 any more. Talk about an awesome lens!
02-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
No, it won't take filters due to the "bubble" front element. It's the same issue with the Sigma 12-24 and 15-30. Which is unfortunate, because I really love the rendering of the Tamron version, but I MUST be able to use CPL and ND filters.

I have an FA20-35, but I don't often use it because of red fringing issues. If I have any high contrast areas, they really flare up. I also have a Sigma 20-40 that I really love, but it has horrible issues with flare. I'm worried my newly acquired Sigma 24-60 may have the same issues, since it's kind of a Sigma idiosyncrasy. I once owned a Sigma 24-70 Macro, but images above f11 really suffered from diffraction and I need f16 frequently.

I may end up with the new Pentax 24-70, and I have a feeling that will be one of the best options for wide angle K-1 shots. I have been contemplating finding an FA20, but I rarely shoot that wide now, preferring to stitch a panorama together to avoid the distortion issues.

So my vote goes to the Pentax 24-70. It's readily available, handles flare well, very good IQ and a modern lens design.

I'm just very very sad I won't be able to use my Tamron 17-50 any more. Talk about an awesome lens!

nice, so i'm not the only one stuck in this. the 10-20mm sigma, another reason why i love it so much is due to its fixed f3.5 which helps tremendously in low light situations. guess there is nothing really like that for the full frame that can take filters as well. shooting waterfalls with an ND filter makes a difference between a 'good' shot and 'wow' shot.

i could always get the 14mm rokinon for night photography, and then get the lens you mentioned for waterfalls stuff
02-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #72
Pentaxian

I have a Sigma 18 - 35mm f/1.8 lens. It works great on my K3ii.

I love the square format and was glad to see that the K1 offers it. I am hopeful that my Sigma 18-35mm lens will work nicely on the K1 when in the 1:1 crop mode.

This webpage shows that the Sigma 18-35mm lens would likely fully cover a 1:1 crop on a full frame sensor from 22mm to 35mm!
02-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
That's what Cokins are for. ☺
02-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's what Cokins are for. ☺
and very expensive cokins at that - you'll need the X-Pro size.
Sigma 8-16mm filter adapter options and solutions

There's always the rear filter option. Not sure if it will have a gel holder in the back, but you can always DIY it:
This Simple Tutorial Will Show You How to Add Filtration to Any Lens Ever Made

not exactly handy for CPL, of course, but if you're doing a planned out shot, you can make it work.
02-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably not the best but I have a FAJ 18-35 f/4-5.6 that I got for next to nothing. I don't have especially high hopes and it's probably the cheapest feeling lens I have ever touched but it does cover FF and is pretty wide. I've just tested to be sure it worked on crop gear and shelved it. If/when I get the K-1 I'll give it a real test.