Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2018, 06:54 PM - 7 Likes   #20701
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife texted me while on a walk near by when she saw a Great Blue Heron and I drove over to see if he was still there. I ended up taking shots for about an hour using the Bigma on my K1. Here are a couple of favorite shots.

10-03-2018, 08:12 PM - 11 Likes   #20702
Pentaxian

Went to look at the Kokanee spawn on the Lardeau River which feeds into Kootenay Lake. The spawn was terrible, very low numbers, shockingly low. We counted 32 eagles, but no bears.

I went with some friends to see if we could find the grizzly and cub, no luck but watched the Pikas feeding. They had snow at that altitude today, so everyone is busy feeding up for the long winter.

10-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #20703
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots, Derek. Not good news for the kokanee. I wonder if it was the hot summer weather that killed them off. Pikas do not hibernate in winter so they need to keep stuffing their larder constantly.
10-04-2018, 02:26 AM - 4 Likes   #20704
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep.. that'll take some time for your eyes to stop seeing pink for a bit...

BTS scenes below;

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
10-04-2018, 06:40 AM - 11 Likes   #20705
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A rather long sequence of shots, but it's not my fault, I blame the K-1 and DFA for giving me so many keepers.

These are all sequential, with 1 dropped frame that was because the eye was OOF, but the AF still tracked the main subject.
The Pelican went from crossing my path to flying away from me, and the AF seemed to keep pace fine.

HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW ƒ/6.3 450.0 mm 1/2500 iso200 (all same)

Probably not the best photo artistry wise, but one of my favorites just because of the action of him skidding in on his webbed feet and opening his beak sideways to get the best angle to scoop up fish at just the moment before he goes in.

When his beak caught the water, it actually spun his whole body around to face me, I'm always amazed they don't break their necks!

10-04-2018, 07:20 AM - 4 Likes   #20706
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1. note to self: next time bring tripod.
10-04-2018, 10:52 AM - 4 Likes   #20707
Veteran Member

10-04-2018, 11:10 AM - 3 Likes   #20708
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 • FF Mode • 800 ISO • Pentax FA 35mm F2 AL

K-1 • FF Mode • 400 ISO • Pentax FA 35mm F2 AL
Tomatoes and Tuna Orechiette

K-1 • FF Mode • 100 ISO • Irix Blackstone 15mm F2.4
10-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #20709
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Great shots, Derek. Not good news for the kokanee. I wonder if it was the hot summer weather that killed them off. Pikas do not hibernate in winter so they need to keep stuffing their larder constantly.
Pikas are interesting. They were seen tucking vegetation into nooks and crannies for the winter. They are fun to watch.

The odd thing about the Kokanee is that the West Arm that flows by Nelson had a very good spawn. It is a different family, on a 3 year cycle where the main lake is 4 year. The problem started 4 years ago with this year finally turning the trend upwards, or better put, it wasn't worse than last year even though it is very bad. Next year will be the progenitor of the first bad year, so we will see the survival rates of the low numbers. Other lakes have seen similar collapses, and likely it is a predator prey imbalance caused by some change in the environment. The Gerrard trout numbers were up for two years before the collapse of the kokanee.
10-04-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #20710
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
A rather long sequence of shots, but it's not my fault, I blame the K-1 and DFA for giving me so many keepers.

These are all sequential, with 1 dropped frame that was because the eye was OOF, but the AF still tracked the main subject.
The Pelican went from crossing my path to flying away from me, and the AF seemed to keep pace fine.

HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW ƒ/6.3 450.0 mm 1/2500 iso200 (all same)

Probably not the best photo artistry wise, but one of my favorites just because of the action of him skidding in on his webbed feet and opening his beak sideways to get the best angle to scoop up fish at just the moment before he goes in.

When his beak caught the water, it actually spun his whole body around to face me, I'm always amazed they don't break their necks!

Good job, & nice work. I was just thinking of ordering the 150-450, as it's on sale for $1695.00 right now at B&H.
10-04-2018, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #20711
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote

Excellent series of shots.

In regards to AF tracking, I find that situations like this AF manages just fine. It could be a plane or a helicopter in the sky, or a bird flying against the sky or against the sea/river, the AF knows what to lock onto. I don't think Pentax has ever struggled in this regard. And because there is typically an abundance of light (at least here in Australia) you can stop down plenty (as there's not such a need to separate/isolate a bird flying in the sky from the sky with wide open DoF) and thus everything looks pretty sharp and decent.
Pentax's AF struggles only in a handful of action situations, and this isn't one of them imo. Stuff where a target is coming fast towards the user (on busy land), or fast paced sport with lots of 'stuff' going on in the scene making the contrast areas harder to identify is gonna be problematic for it. That and of course burst frame rates and buffer clearance. Let's not forget other brands will also not get good focus at times, but due to the higher burst rate and faster clearing of buffer they get more chances to nail a good shot. So AF is just one aspect of that whole experience in getting a nice shot.
But really there are plenty of sports that are easily captured with Pentax's AF system, just a handful of those that aren't well suited. The bird or plane in the sky thing often gives the illusion of being something that would be tricky to capture and must therefore be an amazing AF situation, but in reality I think it's a situation that any camera handles very easily, it's quite favourable AF environment!

Absolutely excellent shots, I loved seeing the whole series
10-04-2018, 03:30 PM - 7 Likes   #20712
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Out and about today: I am really liking my K1-II over my K1. It just seems to do everything the K1 does only a bit better. And I am a big fan of my K1.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
10-04-2018, 05:44 PM - 3 Likes   #20713
Pentaxian

A touch of fall color along Route 138 in the southern Cascades, shot with the DFA 28-105:

10-04-2018, 05:58 PM - 8 Likes   #20714
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Narrowleaf Blue Curls, Cottonweed, Wireweed

K-1 35mm macro
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #20715
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
A touch of fall color along Route 138 in the southern Cascades, shot with the DFA 28-105:
The colors vine maple produce this time of year are extra special