Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150764 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 01:41 PM   #25606
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
A few from afternoon walks around our village ...

K1 and FA 1.8/77 limited

K1 and SMC K 2.5/135
I really like the DOF and subject isolation on the hedge in the last pic Volley!
Eric

10-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #25607
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Patriot Quote
I was here twice, the first time in the spring of 2013 and the second in the spring of 2017.

The best option is to arrive in the evening at 4-5, to get to know the place it's located only few hundred meters from parking lot, choose places for shooting and shoots before sunset and sunset,
then go back to the parking lot, to eat, to relax and then return at 10-11 for a night shots.

After ending shooting again return to the parking lot, to sleep for several hours, wake up before sunrise and again return to shoot the sunrise and shoot until the sun has risen too high.

Then again return to the parking lot, to have coffee and breakfast and continue to drive to the South Coyotes, this is not far from the White Pocket, you only need to get a permit.

I am another viewer inspired to want to try some night shooting after seeing your work Patriot. I've tried my old Tokina 20-35mm in the past, w/ single 30 sec or less exp and it was fair. Thinking the FA31mm might do a better job, my other options are my Irix 15mm or Soligor 20mm ... but the FA is the fastest of the bunch and maybe the sharpest. Not sure how bad CA will be on stars? I'd love to try deep sky stuff, but as I understand it, the Astrotracker in the K-1 doesn't move enough for long lenses like my 150-450, and I don't have an Eq mount.
Eric
10-01-2019, 03:29 PM - 3 Likes   #25608
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello out there!

10-01-2019, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #25609
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AZGMDale Quote
The Duners (off-roaders) are beginning to show up and leave tracks, so this is probably my last trip to the dunes until next summer.
Cracking shots, the 3rd and 4th are particularly good, don't recall ever seeing rainbows and sand dunes together.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Spiratone (Soligor) 20/2.8 on K-1 ... I shot a convention and here is a group shot after a few portraits ... my wife is far right kneeling.

Really nice group shot. I also want that lens, it's hard to find is it not?

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Right here : 28mm F2.2

FF Mode • 400 ISO • Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED SDM
16,666th

FF Mode • 200 ISO • Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
Helicoidali, Tomatoes and Thuna

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 fisheye
Thanks Fred!

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
F2.2 does not F1.8 make Frederic, but that sure is a pretty shot.
Eric
I'll let him off

I am another viewer inspired to want to try some night shooting after seeing your work Patriot. I've tried my old Tokina 20-35mm in the past, w/ single 30 sec or less exp and it was fair. Thinking the FA31mm might do a better job, my other options are my Irix 15mm or Soligor 20mm ... but the FA is the fastest of the bunch and maybe the sharpest. Not sure how bad CA will be on stars? I'd love to try deep sky stuff, but as I understand it, the Astrotracker in the K-1 doesn't move enough for long lenses like my 150-450, and I don't have an Eq mount.
Eric
I know of a very accomplished astro K-1 user, he used to favour the Sigma Art 35/1.4, but he now swears by the DFA 50/1.4.

10-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #25610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AZGMDale Quote
The Duners (off-roaders) are beginning to show up and leave tracks, so this is probably my last trip to the dunes until next summer.
Dale, those photos are absolutely beautiful. Each shot with a different exposure and each composition showing different characteristics of the dunes. Very nice work and I certainly enjoyed studying each photo.
Best Regards, Bob
10-01-2019, 08:16 PM - 10 Likes   #25611

Visited Japan for the first time last week. Few days Tokyo and another few in Kyoto. Of course I had to take a shot of the Golden Pavilion (Kinkaku-ji temple or Rokuon-ji). One "typical" shot and a sort of pano from the rear of the building (limited space, so to get the shot I wanted I had to stitch a few into a pano).

10-01-2019, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #25612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Patriot Quote
I was here twice, the first time in the spring of 2013 and the second in the spring of 2017.

The best option is to arrive in the evening at 4-5, to get to know the place it's located only few hundred meters from parking lot, choose places for shooting and shoots before sunset and sunset,
then go back to the parking lot, to eat, to relax and then return at 10-11 for a night shots.

After ending shooting again return to the parking lot, to sleep for several hours, wake up before sunrise and again return to shoot the sunrise and shoot until the sun has risen too high.

Then again return to the parking lot, to have coffee and breakfast and continue to drive to the South Coyotes, this is not far from the White Pocket, you only need to get a permit.

Mike, terrific photos as usual from you. Very good advise you shared and obviously you put a great deal of effort in your photography. And it shows in the results. As I have said before, you have an excellent eye for seeing and capturing beautiful scenes. Also let me add that I have been enjoying the photos you have posted taken in the northeastern region of America.
Best Regards, Bob

10-01-2019, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #25613
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Right here : 28mm F2.2

FF Mode • 400 ISO • Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED SDM
16,666th

FF Mode • 200 ISO • Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
Helicoidali, Tomatoes and Thuna

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 fisheye
Frederic, I am almost half way to your shudder count...being at 7,100. But what the heck, I am but only a photographer wannabe...and a farmer wannabe...and a few other wannabe's... But I sure am having lots of fun...
Best Regards, Bob
10-01-2019, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #25614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eric
You tell him Eric, somebody has to teach that fella proper photography stuff... Old Rupert tried his best but that Frederic guy is still lost...
10-01-2019, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #25615
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote

Really nice group shot. I also want that lens, it's hard to find is it not? ...
Thanks and "yes" the Soligor/Spiratone 20mm is not easy to find.

I have seen only a couple in K-mount on eBay in France/Europe and I purchased mine off the PF Marketplace a few years back.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 10-02-2019 at 06:43 AM.
10-02-2019, 12:51 AM - 17 Likes   #25616
Pentaxian

Sunrise over meadow in the Dolomites region. This is a North-East view over meadow and valley after sunrise in the Dolomite region, with the rising sun partially weakened by moving clouds. There is no car at that time of the day, it's very silent, and we can see a few horses grazing in a the distant meadow. The D-FA 70-200 was set to 130mm so that to bring back in the frame some of the distant valley and mountain range while including meadow in the foreground. I giggled when viewing that image at the back of the camera. After which I sat on a tree trunk nearby where I had breakfast in front of that panorama with the rising sun and mist. It is hard to describe the atmosphere created by the combination of view point, gold color of sunrise light rays, clouds, mist and meadow fall color in transition from green to yellow and brown. I tweaked white balance, shadow recovery, saturation, and contrast so that the image is rendered close to what my eyes perceived in the moment I took that photograph.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-02-2019 at 01:03 AM.
10-02-2019, 01:44 AM - 2 Likes   #25617
Pentaxian

Eric
Eric for shooting the starry sky it is best to use a wide-angle lens like Irix with a 2.4 aperture is enough, with iso set to 1000-1500 and speed like 20-25 sek.
Another thing is the background, to get it in acceptable quality you need to set speed like 3-5 minutes.
So you need make two shots in the same positions, first for the sky and second for background and then to merge them in Photoshop.
All frames with a starry sky and with a well-drawn background are made in this way.
Many photographers shoot the background in the full moon, in good light, and then add the starry sky shot in the complete absence of the moon, when the stars are best seen.
Hope this helps
10-02-2019, 02:13 AM - 2 Likes   #25618
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eric
Irix is a very good option, not only for the price...

Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
Frederic, I am almost half way to your shudder count...being at 7,100. But what the heck, I am but only a photographer wannabe...and a farmer wannabe...and a few other wannabe's... But I sure am having lots of fun...
Best Regards, Bob
Poor Bob
QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
You tell him Eric, somebody has to teach that fella proper photography stuff... Old Rupert tried his best but that Frederic guy is still lost...
10-02-2019, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #25619
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

Sunrise over meadow in the Dolomites region. This is a North-East view over meadow and valley after sunrise in the Dolomite region, with the rising sun partially weakened by moving clouds. There is no car at that time of the day, it's very silent, and we can see a few horses grazing in a the distant meadow. The D-FA 70-200 was set to 130mm so that to bring back in the frame some of the distant valley and mountain range while including meadow in the foreground. I giggled when viewing that image at the back of the camera. After which I sat on a tree trunk nearby where I had breakfast in front of that panorama with the rising sun and mist. It is hard to describe the atmosphere created by the combination of view point, gold color of sunrise light rays, clouds, mist and meadow fall color in transition from green to yellow and brown. I tweaked white balance, shadow recovery, saturation, and contrast so that the image is rendered close to what my eyes perceived in the moment I took that photograph.
I find this image superb! I also really envy you for taking your time and enjoying this wonderful place-landscape!
10-02-2019, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #25620
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the DOF and subject isolation on the hedge in the last pic Volley!
Eric
Thanks Eric, I needed to get used to the old K 2.5/135 lens, but it can deliver shots I truly lke.
The hedge surrounds an old (and very small) Jewish cemetery just outside our village.