Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150660 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #2746
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Rupert, have you heard of the so-called 'squirrel whisperer'?
Sorry JVA...I just saw this as I was browsing and am late responding. Those are neat photos for sure, and although I can get close enough to hand feed the squirrels I don't do much whispering to them.....I'm usually yelling at them to stop this or that bad habit.

Tonight I could have gotten some shots of hand feeding my raccoon family, but Mrs Rupert refuses to shoot me doing it...she won't even come outside when they are here for their nightly free meal.

Warning: These are my first dark night flash shots with the 540 flash in ages and I had most all the settings all wrong...but you can still get the idea....

This little guy likes to follow me around and beg for bread, he loves bread...whole wheat only!

Of course he always gets it!

Mama watches over the cubs as they eat and breaks up any fights...and there are always fights!

All four cubs were with her tonight.....only three here, the other one was the one at my feet begging for a treat.

When they got a little too rowdy, mama felt the need to stand up and show them she is still bigger than they are!

Tomorrow night maybe I can get the settings right and some more decent shots that these?

Best Regards! & Thanks for that link, I have saved it as a favorite!

---------- Post added 07-25-16 at 11:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Not to contradict Rupert, but FF mode is fun too !
No contradiction there FS...I love the FF shots I see here. Yours are excellent, and the last one is my favorite....# 4 that is!

Too bad you are down to only one little Woody, they made such a lovely couple. Did some need come up for a special dish that required one Woody? So sad........ I hold out hope that he is just out gathering a treat for his mate and not in a treat for your mate??

Regards!

07-25-2016, 09:41 PM - 2 Likes   #2747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sorry JVA...I just saw this as I was browsing and am late responding. Those are neat photos for sure, and although I can get close enough to hand feed the squirrels I don't do much whispering to them.....I'm usually yelling at them to stop this or that bad habit.

Tonight I could have gotten some shots of hand feeding my raccoon family, but Mrs Rupert refuses to shoot me doing it...she won't even come outside when they are here for their nightly free meal.

Warning: These are my first dark night flash shots with the 540 flash in ages and I had most all the settings all wrong...but you can still get the idea....

This little guy likes to follow me around and beg for bread, he loves bread...whole wheat only!

Of course he always gets it!

Mama watches over the cubs as they eat and breaks up any fights...and there are always fights!

All four cubs were with her tonight.....only three here, the other one was the one at my feet begging for a treat.

When they got a little too rowdy, mama felt the need to stand up and show them she is still bigger than they are!

Tomorrow night maybe I can get the settings right and some more decent shots that these?

Best Regards! & Thanks for that link, I have saved it as a favorite!

---------- Post added 07-25-16 at 11:29 PM ----------

No contradiction there FS...I love the FF shots I see here. Yours are excellent, and the last one is my favorite....# 4 that is!

Too bad you are down to only one little Woody, they made such a lovely couple. Did some need come up for a special dish that required one Woody? So sad........ I hold out hope that he is just out gathering a treat for his mate and not in a treat for your mate??

Regards!
These look great to me, Rupert, though flash photography is pretty much terra incognita to me. Here are a few shots taken yesterday with the 77 ltd, the second through the window of a streetcar, the first in what I would have thought were impossible light conditions.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by jva59; 07-25-2016 at 09:49 PM.
07-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #2748
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

James, that first photo with the skateboarders is fantastic; lovely muted evening colours and lighting, and perfect depth of field with a real 3D pop.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-26-2016 at 12:06 AM.
07-26-2016, 12:01 AM   #2749
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No mama was on the ground searching some seeds for one of her three babies. She had a lot to do : opening sunflower seeds and feeding all three on different branches

Here are a few shots taken yesterday with the 77 ltd, the second through the window of a streetcar, the first in what I would have thought were impossible light conditions.
Superb shots ! Your black and whites are fantastic, I love them all !

07-26-2016, 01:38 AM - 5 Likes   #2750
Veteran Member

DFA 150-450.... a bit stormy today

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-26-2016 at 01:44 AM.
07-26-2016, 01:51 AM - 2 Likes   #2751
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

colourful Petals................

07-26-2016, 05:32 AM - 2 Likes   #2752
Pentaxian

Sigma10-20 @10mm FF mode x3 shots, stitched and cropped away the vignetting

07-26-2016, 05:37 AM   #2753
Veteran Member

Here are a few shots taken yesterday with the 77 ltd, the second through the window of a streetcar, the first in what I would have thought were impossible light conditions.
Those look plenty good to me.

I have to say I am not particularly impressed with the K1s high ISO performance. Yes, it is better than my K5IIs,which was pretty good itself, and undoubtedly better than the K3, but if I could special order a K1 with a 16-24 MP sensor, it would be my choice over the 36 MP. Low light ability is more important to me than all that resolution for the small images I mostly use.

As for flash......I am no flash fan, though I do see some that have mastered the use of flash, I am not one of them. I need a lot of hard work in that area before I can perform acceptable flash shots. ...but I will say that from my limited use last night,the 540 flash unit performed very nicely on the K1.......the failure was on my part where I should have gone manual instead of Tav and set the ISO around 3200 instead of the 12800 that was chosen by Tav.

That is the problem with shooters like me that are not serious enough to avoid mistakes and depend more on luck than skill. I know the right things, but am not serious enough to implement them. Some call it laziness.......and they are probably right?

Anyhow, so glad to see you here with the K1....with FS here too it is like old times! We had fun then, we will ave fun here too!

Best Regards!
07-26-2016, 05:56 AM   #2754
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote

That's a very pleasing, understated scenic.
Are you using the earlier version of the 10~20mm with removable hood, or the later version with permanently attached hood? I suspected the first version of the 10~20mm with removable hood might require less cropping when used on a K1 in FF mode.
07-26-2016, 06:04 AM   #2755
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
The K1 has amazing colors and Latitude: This is a single shot.
That is the kind of shot that makes upgrading to the K1 completely worth it for the dynamic range. BTW, earlier, I posted the shot of the bird taken into the sun because I had taken a shot of another bird on almost the same branch with the K3, and was unable to pull much detail from its head (though the silhouette was pretty nice). The K1 did it with just some shadow adjustment in the raw conversion.
07-26-2016, 06:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gotta love Purple

07-26-2016, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #2757
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Gotta love Purple

Rich color and good detail, a very satisfying image.
07-26-2016, 07:05 AM   #2758
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
James, that first photo with the skateboarders is fantastic; lovely muted evening colours and lighting, and perfect depth of field with a real 3D pop.
Many thanks for kind words, Mike and FS!

---------- Post added 07-26-16 at 10:05 AM ----------
07-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #2759
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
I once owned the Sigma 10-20 and could never do much with it. If I could have used it as well as you did in that wonderful shot...I'd still own it!

Regards!

---------- Post added 07-26-16 at 09:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Gotta love Purple
Your bloom shots are excellent Eaglem......but the squirrels are hollering for more of your Doggie!

Regards!
07-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #2760
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once owned the Sigma 10-20 and could never do much with it. If I could have used it as well as you did in that wonderful shot...I'd still own it!

Regards!

---------- Post added 07-26-16 at 09:27 AM ----------

Your bloom shots are excellent Eaglem......but the squirrels are hollering for more of your Doggie!

Regards!
Will have some shortly he's still putting on his make-up!
« k1 vs k1ii | - »