Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2020, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #29146
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,439
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Rio portrait shoot with K1 + M 85mm f2 (at f4.0) + flash
Awesome shot of an awesome pooch pschlute!

Shots like this do make a guy wonder how much the old 85mm design optics can really be improved in that new 85mm release... but AF and electronic wizardry do add a lot of changes to the design process I guess... like having a focus group light enough that the motor can move it quickly, or being able to shoot wide open and have it uniformly sharp and bright... and that whole flare and CA thing. (all of which are non existent issues in your expertly taken shot, kudos!) OK OK, I am a little excited about the new 85mm, but still, the good old day's still don't look too bad from this shot! Besides, my wallet is telling me my FA77mm is probably going to have to make do for a while longer.


Last edited by Erictator; 05-25-2020 at 10:14 AM.
05-25-2020, 10:10 AM - 6 Likes   #29147
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,439
Gull with a shrimp, and his bud's skimming the water

Pentax K-1 HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW ƒ/8.0 450.0 mm 1/640 iso100

Two of the gull's buds decide to break formation to face plant this Egret to steal his fish!
Unbelievable, I have been shore birding a while and never saw behavior quite as bad as this!

Pentax K-1 HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW ƒ/8.0 450.0 mm 1/1000 iso100
05-25-2020, 10:28 AM - 5 Likes   #29148
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,344
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Gull with a shrimp, and his bud's skimming the water

Pentax K-1 HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW ƒ/8.0 450.0 mm 1/640 iso100

Two of the gull's buds decide to break formation to face plant this Egret to steal his fish!
Unbelievable, I have been shore birding a while and never saw behavior quite as bad as this!

Pentax K-1 HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW ƒ/8.0 450.0 mm 1/1000 iso100
Cool shots!

Is there any chance the gull's aggressive behavior stems from COVID-19 lock-downs? With no tourists on the beaches and boardwalks, the gulls are going hungry and getting aggressive with 'egretable results.

(The land based parallel is the increase in aggressive rats -- Rodent Control | COVID-19 | CDC -- caused by the lack of restaurant scrap waste.)
05-25-2020, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #29149
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,439
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Cool shots!

Is there any chance the gull's aggressive behavior stems from COVID-19 lock-downs? With no tourists on the beaches and boardwalks, the gulls are going hungry and getting aggressive with 'egretable results.

(The land based parallel is the increase in aggressive rats -- Rodent Control | COVID-19 | CDC -- caused by the lack of restaurant scrap waste.)
Thanks! It actually crossed my mind! Could be, especially in this heavily tourist dependent area where there are restaurants all over the beach towns and the gulls normally swarm the dumpsters in the wee hours.

05-25-2020, 11:25 AM - 2 Likes   #29150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,110
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Awesome shot of an awesome pooch pschlute!

Shots like this do make a guy wonder how much the old 85mm design optics can really be improved in that new 85mm release... but AF and electronic wizardry do add a lot of changes to the design process I guess... like having a focus group light enough that the motor can move it quickly, or being able to shoot wide open and have it uniformly sharp and bright... and that whole flare and CA thing. (all of which are non existent issues in your expertly taken shot, kudos!) OK OK, I am a little excited about the new 85mm, but still, the good old day's still don't look too bad from this shot! Besides, my wallet is telling me my FA77mm is probably going to have to make do for a while longer.
Yes the great thing for those baulking at the possible cost of the new 85mm should be pleased to know there are alternatives !

With the old lens this was an all manual approach, both camera and flash output. Took a few test shots to get the right settings then away you go.

The great thing about Pentax ownership is you have these wonderful lenses available.
05-25-2020, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #29151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,471
With the A 70-210 f/4 Macro.
05-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #29152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,980
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Don't normally see them waiting outside...
So, normally, they’re enjoying a pie next door at Mrs Lovett’s?
05-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #29153
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49,405
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
So, normally, they’re enjoying a pie next door at Mrs Lovett’s?
Who knows... well apart from you.

05-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #29154
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49,405
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yes the great thing for those baulking at the possible cost of the new 85mm should be pleased to know there are alternatives !

With the old lens this was an all manual approach, both camera and flash output. Took a few test shots to get the right settings then away you go.

The great thing about Pentax ownership is you have these wonderful lenses available.
Well said indeed...

I have a cousin of your lens and have been more than happy with her performance, namely my Sweetheart Pentax-A*85mm F1.4
05-26-2020, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #29155
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49,405
Take Me Back

So I can buy one of these... preferably the one on the left.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-26-2020, 03:01 AM - 3 Likes   #29156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
sculptormic's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 449
Amsterdam

Samyang TS 24mm

05-26-2020, 04:00 AM - 3 Likes   #29157
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49,405
The Carry Oot

Well it makes a change from McDonald's leftovers...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-26-2020, 05:11 AM - 4 Likes   #29158
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eureka, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,172
Mattole Road through Bull Creek redwoods, shot with FA 80-320:

05-26-2020, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #29159
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49,405
East Meets West

Well at least in proximity terms...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-26-2020 at 06:11 AM.
05-26-2020, 06:09 AM   #29160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,687
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Well it makes a change from McDonald's leftovers...
That is just great!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, copy, crop, da* 200mm f2.8, dslr, f2.8, focus, friend, full frame, full-frame, images, k-1, k1, pentax, pentax k-1, pics, pm, post, post your k-1, review, sample, shots, squirrel, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post pictures made with your worst lens! LensBeginner Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 08-02-2018 10:27 AM
Post your K5IIs pictures here... SECELEE Pentax K-5 2 02-21-2015 09:30 PM
There should be a post your K-30 pictures thread memo90061 Pentax K-30 & K-50 3 10-30-2012 02:06 AM
Thematic Post your winter pictures ohce Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 10 03-22-2012 06:17 PM
Who can post pictures in the post your pictures category? Sitting Bull Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 12-14-2010 05:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top