Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150762 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #481
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
some early morning shots (FA43)
Beautiful shots!

On APS-C, I've found the FA43 to consistently amaze me. A remarkable lens, and I'll definitely continue using it this way.

At the same time, it's incredible to see what the FA43 is doing in its native, full-frame FOV - seriously, wow!

Last edited by KDAFA; 05-07-2016 at 10:01 AM.
05-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #482
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ranchy Quote
Below are shots with the DAL35 F2.4, one more lens confirm it is able to use on the FF. (I call in DAL as it is our cheapo DA35 lol..)
In the K1, there is a skin tone setting in. Never try while taking with Raw/DNG, therefore was curious how would it works.
I did a JPEG conversion inside the K1 and there is the skin tone seeting in it to try.

Original photo converted to JPEG, Portrait , no shadow correction.

1st pic: Portrait, Skin tone 1, shadow correction - low
2nd Pic: Portrait, Skin tone 2, shadow correction - low

I uploaded the full size in flick, think it will be easier to compare seeing there. Think it soften the skin and at type 2, it soften even more.
Maybe abit of slight skin tone adjustment, i felt.
Very nice! Thanks for sharing! (And I added you on Flickr.)

The Skin Tone 2 is more than I like, personally, but I suspect the girls will like it very much. (Still, I won't be using it, haha).
05-07-2016, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #483
Veteran Member

Checking for focus accuracy and color on with my Sigma 85mm. LR5 only supports the Embedded color profile for RAW files, but these are so much better than the K-3. No magenta cast to skin tones. This image only has some sharpening applied. No adjustment to WB, NR, exposure, contrast or saturation.

05-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #484
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
12meg crop at iso2000 (DFA 150-450).... processed with LR 6
Wonderful shot!

Last edited by KDAFA; 05-07-2016 at 09:18 AM.
05-07-2016, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #485
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I see so many great pics from K-1! And so many different subjects and lenses, I'm very excited!

I was trying the AF-C performance yesterday and the SR efficiancy... 3 samples below. The AF is a big improvement in comparison to my K-5IIs! I was really happy to see in the event of two seagulls coming towrads me the AF points to focus and track both of them separately! Great news and improvements!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #486
Pentaxian

Winder: Nice shot, lovely colors. Your opinion so far of the beast?

Redpit. I'm finding all the reasons not to buy this thing disappearing. Is it my imagination or are the first couple shots people are taking using this body exceptionally good?
05-07-2016, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #487
Veteran Member

Da*55

I'm in awe of the pics here! Just great work everyone!

redpit, so glad to see you had good success with AF tracking! I haven't gotten to try that out yet.

I was testing the DA*55 this morning. This was taken at f/1.8 and I think the bokeh is really lovely. Seems like it could be rather nervous on APS-C, but so far the K-1 is bringing out the best in this lens. I did have to dial in some AF adjustment as it was front focusing quite a bit.

I also notice the colors really pop on this camera! I have found myself hardly having to touch the saturation controls in LR. It's been quite an adjustment for me.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-07-2016, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #488
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote

Redpit. I'm finding all the reasons not to buy this thing disappearing. Is it my imagination or are the first couple shots people are taking using this body exceptionally good?
My friend you are absolutely right! I'm amazed from the pics that are being posted in PF with the K-1! And you know what? We are still in the testing-familiarization phase of the new beast! That makes me wonder what to expect in the future

@loco your pic is beautiful The AF is greatly upgraded and strangely I've found that even though the DOF is narrower with the K-1 (completely new experience, as you describe it and I agree) the camera nails the focus and improves lens AF behavior... Maybe it's my excitement but for example the Tamron 70-200/2.8 which is famous for its AF inconsistency (and I have personal experience on my K-5IIs) is a totally different lens on the K-1! I've never had a misfocused caption in a variety of situations up to now and I've taken quite a few dozen of pictures.
05-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #489
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by ranchy Quote
2nd Pic: Portrait, Skin tone 2, shadow correction - low
I like the 2nd best...lovely shots! Sure wish I had the K1 when I had my little downtown studio! It would have been superb with my 43Ltd.

I am enjoying the shots here! My K1 is scheduled to arrive sometime today. Can you guys help me get jump started?

Question: How do you shoot in the crop mode? Is there some setting you use...how do you go about it? I have some FF lenses but also want to shoot in the crop mode for smaller files at times.

Best Regards & Congratulations to all the happy Pentax FF shooters here!
05-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can see some images taken with M2.8/28 and Vivitar S1 2.8-4.0/70-210 here (The Bokeh Club).

Edit - maybe it's interesting for those who love their DA15. Captured in FF mode you can get a really nice square 4500 x 4500 px crop in pp.

Last edited by acoufap; 05-07-2016 at 11:22 AM.
05-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #491

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Checking for focus accuracy and color on with my Sigma 85mm. LR5 only supports the Embedded color profile for RAW files, but these are so much better than the K-3. No magenta cast to skin tones. This image only has some sharpening applied. No adjustment to WB, NR, exposure, contrast or saturation.
Yeah. the colors look really good, much more natural. Do you have a link to a full size version?
05-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #492
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
My friend you are absolutely right! I'm amazed from the pics that are being posted in PF with the K-1! And you know what? We are still in the testing-familiarization phase of the new beast! That makes me wonder what to expect in the future

@loco your pic is beautiful The AF is greatly upgraded and strangely I've found that even though the DOF is narrower with the K-1 (completely new experience, as you describe it and I agree) the camera nails the focus and improves lens AF behavior... Maybe it's my excitement but for example the Tamron 70-200/2.8 which is famous for its AF inconsistency (and I have personal experience on my K-5IIs) is a totally different lens on the K-1! I've never had a misfocused caption in a variety of situations up to now and I've taken quite a few dozen of pictures.
I'm so glad you said that about the Tamron. It's a lens I've been considering as I just can't afford the D FA 70-200. More good news!
05-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #493

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Some K 30/2.8 blues
How does the K30 f2.8 fair on full frame is it as good as I'd imagined. There was some doubt at the logic of putting legacy glass on such an expensive camera. You photo is excellent and looks plenty sharp to me. Is it sharp corner to corner at f8 and above as this is where it is at its best thanks Noelpolar for posting real curious now
05-07-2016, 01:02 PM - 5 Likes   #494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Y'all like astrophotography? Shot some last night under a new moon and relatively clear skies. I still have loads of kinks to work out (and some stuff I didn't identify as problems in the field). Shot with the Rokinon 14mm at f/2.8. Didn't realize the corners were trailing until I got it home; I cropped a bit in but the extreme corners are still issues.

05-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #495
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I'm very impressed so far. The improvements over the K-3 are significant. My only complaint is that AF-C tracking is still not in the same league as cameras like the D750. I have the D-FA* 70-200mm and I had hoped that lens would be a bit snappier than it is. AF-S point-to-point is very quick with all of my lenses. The AF-S is much improved over the K-3.

The RAW files are a bit muted (DNG - LR5) and I like that much more than the K-3 colors or my Sony A7II. I still have a lot of work to do to familiarize myself with the camera and all of my presets I have developed for RAW processing need to be redone. The VSCO film presets are also working a lot better with the K-1 than they did with the K-3. I stopped using VSCO on my K-3 files because the colors where way, way off and VSCO doesn't make color profiles for Pentax, but the VSCO standard profiles are working a lot better. The below shot has not processing except sharpening to the eyes and the Royal Gold 100 VSCO film preset.