Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #6286
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I continue to be impressed with the performance of my new K-1. Here's a "tourist shot" of a blue, red-eyed bird I took inside Moody Garden's Rainforest Pyramid in Galveston, TX during a family visit a few days ago. The bird was in fairly deep shadow, so I used my DFA 28-105 (@ 73 mm) with ISO 6400, 1/30s and set at f/8 to get into the "sharp range" of this lens.

The pic isn't aesthetically meaningful, nor is the shot technically dazzling - but it serves nicely as a "souvenir" of our visit.

Jer
Nice!
That should be a Victoria crowned pigeon (Goura victoria).
Have some old pics myself, smartphone-quality (best left in their current resting place )

01-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #6287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey I have one of those, from Bird Kingdom in Niagara Falls....
How about that! I thought mine was the only one.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Nice!
That should be a Victoria crowned pigeon (Goura victoria).
Have some old pics myself, smartphone-quality (best left in their current resting place )
Thanks much, I would never thought of this character as a pigeon, but I'm ornithologically challenged!

Jer
01-07-2017, 12:14 PM - 3 Likes   #6288
Pentaxian

Thank you DimC !

Superb shots Eric !

1. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Sigma Art 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM • Metz Flash 52 AF-1 Digital with softbox

2. Crop Mode • 100 ISO • Sigma Art 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM

3. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited • Walimex Pro Flash 3xVC-400
01-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #6289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DrBop Quote
These are beautiful! You have once again confirmed my recent purchase of this lens!

Don
Thanks Don! What will really convince you is when you start using it yourself. Zero it in first with the focus adjustment menu ( I just use a yellow yard stick at 45 degrees in daylight on a tripod) and go shooting.
Eric

---------- Post added 01-07-17 at 02:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Thank you DimC !
Superb shots Eric !
1. FF Mode 100 ISO Sigma Art 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Metz Flash 52 AF-1 Digital with softbox

2. Crop Mode 100 ISO Sigma Art 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM

3. FF Mode 100 ISO Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Walimex Pro Flash 3xVC-400
Thanks Frederick! Once again, you have me thinking about that softbox... and desert... woof! :-)
Eric

01-07-2017, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #6290
Pentaxian

K-1 and A-400 with F 1.7x AF adapter for 680mm at F9.3.

400 ISO, ƒ11, 1/200s
01-07-2017, 01:43 PM - 4 Likes   #6291
Veteran Member

Cold night with the FA43

01-07-2017, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #6292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

01-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #6293
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Hi Eyeball,

As to your 3 questions, I'll do the best I can...

1) Your guess is pretty close, I'd say about 18 inches, but it's just a guess. You can imagine I wasn't in a hurry to get super close, because that Christmas Ornament Tree was LOADED with active honey bees. I have more on that series to post later. For some shots, I just turned on Live View and about as brave as I could get was to fully extend my arm and get about 18 inches away and cropped in post. This one was NOT a tripod situation. As to the butterflies, they are skittish and fickle and jump around the garden a lot. If your inner child takes over, you find yourself chasing them. Nix that. Let your inner ambush predator take charge. If you are in a garden with active butterfly's, pic a fresh tasty looking blossom in good light, stay very still and wait the intended victim to come to you. Patience works pretty good for me in this case. Start shooting the second they perch, don't wait for better framing, take what you get as long as focus has locked. Sort out framing in post, so don't get too close. That's the best advice I have, hope it helps.

2) Still looking for something inexpensive, that doesn't have at least 3 reviewers saying "This was 1/4 the price of a Gitzo, but it was made in China and fell apart the 4th time I used it". There are some up-and-coming brands, (3Pod, Dolica, Davis & Sanford, Etc) but I want flip levers, not rotating for the leg extensions, and I want the riser post to be able to be re-oriented sideways and hold the weight of a K-1 and the DA300 without panic about wobbles and crashing, ability to add hanging weight on center hook, go to a reasonable height, 50 inches or so, still be collapsible to ~18 inches, and be less than 4lbs. Not asking for much, right?

3) Actually, the SR is better than that. The AF is the issue, and maybe not the way you suspect. The AF does what it is supposed to do, it just can't read your mind. so if you have it set to use the 9 center point A/F, I could pic the stamen, the petal, the Bee, or whatever has the most contrast. Using the 4 way pad to select focal points has taken some mental adjustment, but I am getting there slowly. It just takes practice in real world situations. The real downer for me is focusing in Live View. Some people really like it, and I want to too... maybe I need to see a training video (any takers on making one?) to really get the most out of it. I can see the white outline of what is supposed to be the focal plane, but when I go to chimp, I seem to keep missing. I get ticked, flip it back to the viewfinder, and grab the shot. Maybe I am too old to set in my ways to learn it... dunno. The manual sure doesn't help. All that said, the AF works absolutely fine, my suggestion is use the viewfinder and the 4 way, your mileage may vary. (and I also will welcome pointers on this one!!)

Thanks for your comments,
Eric
Thanks for your comments, especially the butterfly advice. Sorry to hear you pretty much confirming my worst fears (confusion?) about portable macro tripods, but encouraged by your comments on SR.

FWIW, I've had some success using catch-in-focus with manual lenses for hand-held focus situations. I tripped across this trying to photograph some nesting birds about 3 ft. away, using the Vivitar macro on a K5IIs, and I'm anxious to try it out on the K-1. It only amounts to using burst mode along with catch-in-focus. Starting with the lens out-of-focus, hold the shutter button down and very slowly turn the focus ring through focus. When the lens reaches the in-focus range, the camera starts firing, and if you're turning slowly enough, the camera will burst continuously for quite a few shots, stopping when the lens passes beyond the other side of the in-focus range. The results are a highly mixed bag of shots as the focal plane moves down the depth of the subject, with sharpness varying all over the place as the camera's SR and human vibrations compete (this is hand-held). But if you turn the focus very slowly, the shots will go on long enough to get a couple of amazingly sharp keepers out of a large, mostly useless batch. It's pretty weird, though surprising natural, to find yourself controlling shutter-firing with the focus ring. The surprise of seeing which parts of the subject wind up in focus is part of the fun.

Apologies if I'm wasting time belaboring a well-known technique, but I haven't seen it discussed and thought some might find this combination of catch-in-focus with burst mode useful, especially those using legacy primes on the K-1.

Regards - Gerry

01-07-2017, 03:48 PM - 6 Likes   #6294
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Multi Scenes

01-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #6295
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Multi Scenes
Amazing and just lovely.
01-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #6296
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Amazing and just lovely.
Thank you for the kind words........
01-07-2017, 05:53 PM - 2 Likes   #6297
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very small Native Bee.

01-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #6298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Great shots, and hilarious AFC test! Careful, DPR will be using those next, but the snail will have to zig zag towards the camera just for Pentax. Heh.
Eric
Thanks Eric!
01-07-2017, 06:53 PM - 2 Likes   #6299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DFA*70-200

01-07-2017, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #6300
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

2. Crop Mode 100 ISO Sigma Art 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
FS- Mrs Rupert loved that one, and asked if I could buy it for her? I told here it was your "homeplace" and not for sale.

3. FF Mode 100 ISO Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Walimex Pro Flash 3xVC-400
Otis loved this one and asked the same question ........I slapped him silly for asking such a thing!

Here are two where I didn't get what I wanted but kept them anyhow....

Fluffing up on a very cold day in Texas....14F this morning.

So bright today...1/2000...I seldom get to use that speed here in the woods.

Cold!

Regards!