Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150658 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #6406
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiotrKrochmal Quote
Grip is essential for K1!
I would say yes since I have it. Otherwise, I would not have noticed how crucial is this Grip...

QuoteOriginally posted by PiotrKrochmal Quote
But K1+Grip + DFA24-70 2,3kg
K-1 + grip D-BG6 + Leica-R28/2.8+50/2+ApoAsph90/2 : 1287g+435g+290g+520g = full metal jacket of 2,53Kg
K-1 + grip D-BG6 + HD FA 28-105mm : 1287g + 440g = 1727g...

QuoteOriginally posted by K-amps Quote
The File latitude of the K1 is amazing../..
Oh yes! I have to keep priorities of natural light in mind... It's no so easy to reach the goal...

Last edited by teiki arii; 01-12-2017 at 10:46 AM.
01-12-2017, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #6407
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The mighty Rakaposhi:

The K1 was Gripped with the Kit Lens. This is shot hand held @ 28mm.

The File latitude of the K1 is amazing, To show the transformation:

Step 1 RAW file NO Adjustments

Step 2 RAW file with only ACR sliders adjusted BEFORE importing into Photoshop
Wonderful landscape Sir !
Yep the Dynamic Range of this camera is stunning. It allows for a lot more flexibility if used correctly.
01-12-2017, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #6408

Photos: Gallery
Fabulous image, k-amps. Thanks for sharing your pre-processed Raw. By doing so, you remind me once again of the import and advantage of exposing for the highlights! (My Olympus OM-D EM-1 did not have a highlights warning in the focusing preview which made this more challenging...)

The dynamic range and the IBIS demonstrated by this one photo, are impressive indeed. Well done, and thanks again for posting the before and after here.

Don
01-12-2017, 11:08 AM - 6 Likes   #6409
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

More fine shots here every day! But....we do need to discuss things of major importance every so often....like peanuts!

" I just got a big bag of peanuts from one of old Rupert's friends that just returned from his Christmas vacation way down in Mexico.....they are long and skinny, not like Georgia peanuts that are big and fat...reckon how they taste?"

"Oh yeah! Damn fine flavor.....a little spicy but just right for me!"

Now back to less important...but much more enjoyable pictures and topics!

Regards!

01-12-2017, 11:44 AM - 2 Likes   #6410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

01-12-2017, 12:07 PM - 5 Likes   #6411
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. FF Mode • 800 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM

2. Crop Mode • 400 ISO • HD Pentax DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW

3. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Sigma Art 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM

4. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM • Walimex Pro Flash 3xVC-400
01-12-2017, 12:15 PM - 3 Likes   #6412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today we are doing multiple choice questions... what do you like better of the first 2 pictures, the full picture, with both butterfly's and the second is out of focus IIF (insect in flight) out of focus in the background?
...Or do you like the second, tighter crop with just the main subject butterfly in focus? I have a favorite, but ain't tellin'. (yet) Hah!

Pentax K-1 smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR ƒ/4.5 100.0 mm 1/500 iso100

The crop:

And one more of the Flamingo blossom. I'll have to wait until next season to try and get a better one of these before they start to wilt.

Pentax K-1 smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 WR ƒ/5.6 100.0 mm 1/250 iso100

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
With my Helios 44k-4 at f2, x-posted in the Soviet Lens Club
WEP Auto Weiton 35/2 at f2
Cool Swirly bokeh Topsy!
Eric

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 02:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Freshened up
Your drops and stars are becoming your signature eaglem, very nice!
Eric

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 02:21 PM ----------

The mighty Rakaposhi:

The K1 was Gripped with the Kit Lens. This is shot hand held @ 28mm.

The File latitude of the K1 is amazing, To show the transformation:

Step 1 RAW file NO Adjustments

Step 2 RAW file with only ACR sliders adjusted BEFORE importing into Photoshop
I am constant amazement of the DR of the K-1. I shoot a lot in bright sun, not ideal, and underexpose by a fair amount to save highlights, and am starting to become spoiled by the K-1 ability to bring up detail.
Great shot at an amazing location!
Eric

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 02:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
More fine shots here every day! But....we do need to discuss things of major importance every so often....like peanuts!
" I just got a big bag of peanuts from one of old Rupert's friends that just returned from his Christmas vacation way down in Mexico.....they are long and skinny, not like Georgia peanuts that are big and fat...reckon how they taste?"

"Oh yeah! Damn fine flavor.....a little spicy but just right for me!"

Now back to less important...but much more enjoyable pictures and topics!
Regards!
Hey, long skinny versions of treats are cool. My nephew and his wife brought over some long skinny grapes around the holidays. They were tasty and looked cool!
Always interesting Rupert.
Eric

Last edited by Erictator; 01-12-2017 at 12:23 PM.
01-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #6413
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Another fine butterfly shot!

Hey, long skinny versions of treats are cool. My nephew and his wife brought over some long skinny grapes around the holidays. They were tasty and looked cool!
Eric
Thanks! Yep, I like long skinny girls too...and Otis concurred, but wants his long skinny peanuts too!

Regarding butterflies....I hardly ever see any here. There are so many birds at my place they are snapped up before I can even get close for a shot.

Regards!
01-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #6414

Photos: Albums
Today we are doing multiple choice questions... what do you like better of the first 2 pictures, the full picture, with both butterfly's and the second is out of focus IIF (insect in flight) out of focus in the background?
...Or do you like the second, tighter crop with just the main subject butterfly in focus? I have a favorite, but ain't tellin'. (yet) Hah!

The crop:

And one more of the Flamingo blossom. I'll have to wait until next season to try and get a better one of these before they start to wilt.

Cool Swirly bokeh Topsy!
Eric

Eric

I am constant amazement of the DR of the K-1. I shoot a lot in bright sun, not ideal, and underexpose by a fair amount to save highlights, and am starting to become spoiled by the K-1 ability to bring up detail.
Eric

Eric
I prefer the first one as it makes for a more interesting photo and there is more going on. The close up is good if you want to look at details but feel the first one gives more in the way of bokeh and action of the blurred out butterfly and seems more correct composition as one butterfly leads the eye to the other. Just my two cents great photos all the same.
01-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #6415
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd take the second image, Aside from the fact that I generally prefer to crop out extraneous material, the first image has two points of interest (the two butterflies) widely separated by nothing but bokeh background. Also, traditional composition rules say no to two centers of interest, because the eye keeps bouncing back and forth as if they were two different images. Three is supposed to be good, as the eye tends to circle around them in a comfortable way and they seem to be complimentary parts of a coherent single image. BUT as always, rules are made to be broken.

Looking again, I would crop more off the left of the cropped image, because that background is irrelevant to the "story" of the image, and it would also place the butterfly atop one of magic 1/3 by 1/3 intersections.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-12-2017 at 01:03 PM.
01-12-2017, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #6416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like the wider one if not for a couple of things. The white object in the lower left is an eye magnet. It needs to go IMO either through cropping or maybe you could clone it out. The other is it seems a little under exposed, especially the in focus butterfly so I'd make that brighter, either selectively or via a global edit. Those two things could make it a top notch shot.
01-12-2017, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #6417
Forum Member

The crop:

Cool Swirly bokeh Topsy!
Eric

Eric

Eric

Eric
second
01-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #6418

While I surely get the appeal of two butterflies in the shot -- and they are nicely placed on a diagonal -- the second photo is much stronger. The first, to my eye, has multiple challenges. As wpresto notes, there is a fair amount of distance between the two butterflies in the shot. That makes everything between them of interest.

Unfortunately, the foliage and flora in that negative space is not evenly distributed through the visual field; neither is it distinctly in or out of focus.

Though I own this 100 macro lens and generally favor its out of focus treatment, I'd describe the bokeh in this shot as jittery. To my eye, it's just not the most pleasing out of focus rendering of which this lens is capable. I'd attribute that to a combination of f-stop, subject matter, and harsh direct lighting.

In addition, as mattb123 notes, there is that terribly distracting lightly colored background element drawing the eye in the lower left. It looks industrial \ man-made -- antithetical to the 'butterfly garden' motif.

Well, that's probably more evaluation than you wanted. But those are the thoughts that ran through my mind as I gazed on the photo!

Most importantly, my hat is off to you, Eric, for shooting such a great photo of a butterfly with that lens. I know those buggers are darned elusive creatures to track under the best of circumstances (so erratic in their patterns), and that lens doesn't auto-focus worth a darned, so it's manual focus all the time (for me). So that second shot of yours gets a hearty thumbs up from me! Very nice indeed.

Don

Last edited by DrBop; 01-12-2017 at 01:56 PM.
01-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #6419
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like both ! Sorry
01-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #6420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Another fine butterfly shot!

Thanks! Yep, I like long skinny girls too...and Otis concurred, but wants his long skinny peanuts too!

Regarding butterflies....I hardly ever see any here. There are so many birds at my place they are snapped up before I can even get close for a shot.

Regards!
Thanks Rupert!

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 04:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I'd take the second image, Aside from the fact that I generally prefer to crop out extraneous material, the first image has two points of interest (the two butterflies) widely separated by nothing but bokeh background. Also, traditional composition rules say no to two centers of interest, because the eye keeps bouncing back and forth as if they were two different images. Three is supposed to be good, as the eye tends to circle around them in a comfortable way and they seem to be complimentary parts of a coherent single image. BUT as always, rules are made to be broken.

Looking again, I would crop more off the left of the cropped image, because that background is irrelevant to the "story" of the image, and it would also place the butterfly atop one of magic 1/3 by 1/3 intersections.
Thanks WPRESTO for the critique, no arguments here, I had many of the same thoughts, though sometimes, I think it is "an artists prerogative to break the rules". LOL!

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 04:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PENTAX LEEBO Quote
I prefer the first one as it makes for a more interesting photo and there is more going on. The close up is good if you want to look at details but feel the first one gives more in the way of bokeh and action of the blurred out butterfly and seems more correct composition as one butterfly leads the eye to the other. Just my two cents great photos all the same.
Thanks LEEBO! I'll confess, I'm with you... I like the first one... but don't tell anyone. ;-)

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 04:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I would like the wider one if not for a couple of things. The white object in the lower left is an eye magnet. It needs to go IMO either through cropping or maybe you could clone it out. The other is it seems a little under exposed, especially the in focus butterfly so I'd make that brighter, either selectively or via a global edit. Those two things could make it a top notch shot.
Matt - Agreed on all counts, I think the white object was a manmade doodad. I sometimes try to put distractions out of focus, but in this case the brightness still grabs the eye. I don't spend enough time in post, I should revisit this one.

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 04:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DrBop Quote
While I surely get the appeal of two butterflies in the shot -- and they are nicely placed on a diagonal -- the second photo is much stronger. The first, to my eye, has multiple challenges. As wpresto notes, there is a fair amount of distance between the two butterflies in the shot. That makes everything between them of interest.

Unfortunately, the foliage and flora in that negative space is not evenly distributed through the visual field; neither is it distinctly in or out of focus.

Though I own this 100 macro lens and generally favor its out of focus treatment, I'd describe the bokeh in this shot as jittery. To my eye, it's just not the most pleasing out of focus rendering of which this lens is capable. I'd attribute that to a combination of f-stop, subject matter, and harsh direct lighting.

In addition, as mattb123 notes, there is that terribly distracting lightly colored background element drawing the eye in the lower left. It looks industrial \ man-made -- antithetical to the 'butterfly garden' motif.

Well, that's probably more evaluation than you wanted. But those are the thoughts that ran through my mind as I gazed on the photo!

Most importantly, my hat is off to you, Eric, for shooting such a great photo of a butterfly with that lens. I know those buggers are darned elusive creatures to track under the best of circumstances (so erratic in their patterns), and that lens doesn't auto-focus worth a darned, so it's manual focus all the time (for me). So that second shot of yours gets a hearty thumbs up from me! Very nice indeed.

Don
Thanks! All info appreciated, and yup, Don, you got me down cold. I wanted that second butterfly in the frame pretty bad, and took several shots to get it. because he wasn't cooperating much. I was pretty stoked to just get the one good shot of both, but there are certainly some compromises. Yes, I have noticed my DA*300 does the same things, sometimes the bokeh makes you go "ahhhhhhhh" and other times it makes you go "ooooohhhh!" Heh heh. Sometimes selecting the subject in focus, then inverting the selection, then running a very light noise reduction will cure that, but I don't always have the patience.

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 04:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I like both ! Sorry
Well, fine, be that way. Thanks! :-)
Eric
« k1 vs k1ii | - »