Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150666 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2017, 05:38 AM - 5 Likes   #9106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
St Louis Arch (DFA 15-30 with pixel shift)

(I didn't notice the reflections from the hotel window. I'll clone those out eventually, but still pretty pleased with the results).

05-04-2017, 06:55 AM - 5 Likes   #9107
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Cheater Branch Catastrophe!

My 83 year old yard man was weedeating in the Woods of Otis when he bumped his head on a Cheater Branch. Thinking they were just dead limbs he tore them all down and advised me that someone had screwed old dead limbs to one of my trees.......Yeah, I guess so!

So I set out the other morning to repair/replace them...which took a while.

Got them up and needed a test squirrel to make sure they were safe and secure. I offered this little "weighty" girly Mama squirrel a dozen roasted peanuts and some squirrel comic books for her kiddies if she would check them out. Deal!

"Feels secure, can I go now?"

No no! Get out there with some weight on them all!

"How's this? Feels plenty strong!"

That was fine, now go over to the Sap Spout side and try it.

"Oh yeah, it feels more comfortable than ever...I'm just gonna take a little nap here!"

"Let's give her a hand for her bravery....even my girlie Army Squirrels have nerves of steel"

"That was ridiculous....squirrels are such stupid critters!"

Regards!........Notice the screws no longer show! Squirrels said they looked unprofessional showing.

---------- Post added 05-04-17 at 09:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
2. FF Mode • 100 ISO • Heidosmat 2.8/85mm MC Rollei projector lens
That one is gorgeous FS! However, with the last one you are backsliding again without my guidance.....maybe you will make it on your own...or maybe not? I have done all I can do for you!
05-04-2017, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #9108
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

My 83 year old yard man was weedeating in the Woods of Otis when he bumped his head on a Cheater Branch. Thinking they were just dead limbs he tore them all down and advised me that someone had screwed old dead limbs to one of my trees.......Yeah, I guess so!

Got them up and needed a test squirrel to make sure they were safe and secure. I offered this little "weighty" girly Mama squirrel a dozen roasted peanuts and some squirrel comic books for her kiddies if she would check them out. Deal!

"Oh yeah, it feels more comfortable than ever...I'm just gonna take a little nap here!"

"Let's give her a hand for her bravery....even my girlie Army Squirrels have nerves of steel"

Regards!........Notice the screws no longer show! Squirrels said they looked unprofessional showing.

That one is gorgeous FS! However, with the last one you are backsliding again without my guidance.....maybe you will make it on your own...or maybe not? I have done all I can do for you!
What cheater branches? I don't see any cheater branches.

There's only a beautiful set of peanut sap spigots.
05-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #9109
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
There's a cask of Amontillado back there somewhere; would you be so kind as to fetch it for me?
Are you of the Masons?

05-04-2017, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #9110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Nice expression

Maybe he saw Le Rolls next post before us

Dave
Probably made him hungry!
05-04-2017, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #9111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Are you of the Masons?
No, just an Edgar Allan Poe fan.
05-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #9112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here are two PS images from a meetup in Laguna Beach last night

The Blue Laguna

La Luna

One thing I noticed on the moon shot in particular are the green artifacts. as the shutter speed was 1/80th of a sec, I have trouble believing that they were caused by the moon moving in that time.I suspect possible tripod vibration. Any other ideas what can cause that?

I'm now hyped to hook the K1 up to my 5" APO telescope and see what kind of images I can get through that.

05-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #9113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
More Lake Fyans for me..... Voigtlander 20/3.5
That's nice. I like how the old tree standing on the right fits in there between the live ones. Good composition and good execution!
Is this from a boat? Any crocs around here?

---------- Post added 05-04-17 at 10:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

LOL, no helmet for the test squirrel?!?! I guess the sap must be worth the risk.
05-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #9114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
K-1 & Tamron 28-75
Because of you I just bought this lens, used
Looks like it will be good on K-1, especially for the price I paid. F-DA seems too pricey for me for near the same IQ.
05-04-2017, 09:16 AM - 4 Likes   #9115
Pentaxian

05-04-2017, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #9116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
still pretty pleased with the results.
Justifiably so. That's a fine city night-scape. (or is it a night city-scape?)
05-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #9117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Indeed! Wonderful contrast of the impressionist rendition of the reflections with crisp contours on the foreground. Would you mind sharing how you captured that, your EXIF only have the Adobe export settings ...
Thank you! There is not much secret, just a few tips. I walk around before the moment of sunset when the color is "ready". I know that lake, and when the birds usually prefer to stay. I "frame" the birds near water with background light (a few steps right, or left) , and shoot.
Also, there are interesting patterns from the light posts after the sun is gone, and I keep shooting birds the same way, just with lamps reflections on the water instead.

To get "impressionist" rendition, I love to use DA*300 (or other tele) at night with higher ISO. For this shoot it were DA*300+TC, not intentionally, but because I also hoped to catch flying birds toward the sun.
The image is cropped to frame.

Exif: 1/600, f8, ISO 1250, -1EV, aperture priority, pattern metering. I shoot DNG, and edited a bit in LR, nothing special, just tuned colors, contrast, luminance, shadows/highlights... nothing to extreme.
05-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #9118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Because of you I just bought this lens, used
Looks like it will be good on K-1, especially for the price I paid. F-DA seems too pricey for me for near the same IQ.
Well I hope I steered you in the right direction!
I think the difference will end up being handling, WR, AF performance/sound, and flare resistance which the Tamron isn't great with. I can work around all those flaws in exchange for great value. It's also smaller and lighter than the D FA. I've had mine since I was just shooting with K-x in 2009 and it's been a good consistent performer ever since.
05-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #9119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
One thing I noticed on the moon shot in particular are the green artifacts.
Made of green cheese, just like the old-time tales said.
05-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #9120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I can work around all those flaws in exchange for great value. It's also smaller and lighter than the D FA. I've had mine since I was just shooting with K-x in 2009 and it's been a good consistent performer ever since.
I believe that I can work around all of that as well for the price I'm just tired of regretting in for not having zoom instead of prime in some situations. I love my primes very much, but moving around to get a good frame is not possible in some conditions. Or, it's too late to run back, or run forward, you know.